Menu

What phonics workbook do I want?

lulalu

Ds loves workbooks and keeps asking for more. We also have a busy season ahead of us with several moves in a short period of time, so a workbook is easier for me to keep up with in all this transition.

We are using Phonics Pathways, it working well and we will keep working through it.

I want a workbook to supplement.

I am looking at

ETC- this looks nice and simple. I like the black and white and simple pictures. Ds would love the silly sentences. We would start at 1.

R&S phonics (not the reading part)- this looks like it follows PP really well. It has the same sa, se, si, so, su stuff from what I can see. However, there looks like more on each page than ETC. My plan is to use R&S spelling in 2nd grade so maybe it will be best to stick with R&S, but then it might also be overkill from one publisher. I like how R&S teaches dictionary skills, does this show up in spelling later?

Any other great workbooks?

Basically I know ETC could be a great supplement. But R&S seems to follow PP better, but might be too much.

You might want to look at Plaid Phonics. It's been a long time so I don't remember details, but I used both Plaid Phonics and ETC with Phonics Pathways when I needed a workbook component. Neither followed PP exactly, but they worked well. I didn't need the teacher book for either one.

• Like 1

Yes, there are dictionary skills in R&S spelling later. I really like ETC and have used them with all my kids, but I haven't ever looked at R&S phonics so I can't really compare. ETC is a good option for kids being mostly independent, too, because the pages repeat and they know what to do after seeing it a few times.

• Like 1

MP FSR is great! I was very impressed with them and plan to do them again with my youngest. I bought the TM but you don’t need it so the price is very reasonable. It starts very gently but slowly ramps up and even has great reading comprehension sections. My oldest loved it and it was one of very few things he didn’t complain about.

• Like 1

We used Rod & Staff phonics workbooks (not the reading ones) grade 1 and LOVED them!!! They really helped cement reading, writing & spelling for my daughter.

I never used ETC but they look fun. We also went rt into grade 2 R&S spelling and she didn’t love that at first..... but half way through she is really starting to like it. No dictionary yet, but that seems like you could easily add that in if you wanted too.

Edited by Hallyv
  • Like 1

We used Rod & Staff phonics workbooks (not the reading ones) grade 1 and LOVED them!!! They really helped cement reading, writing & spelling for my daughter.

I never used ETC but they look fun. We also went rt into grade 2 R&S spelling and she didn’t love that at first..... but half way through she is really starting to like it. No dictionary yet, but that seems like you could easily add that in if you wanted too.

Did you use just R&S for phonics?

And is the TM needed?

Dictionary skills are also covered in the English series.

As much as I like R&S overall, its Bible Nurture and Reader series  (and spelling, to a certain extent, at least in the second and third grade books) has a definite sight-reading element (although I have not yet seen the newly released materials, so maybe this has improved). However, there is a workbook called "We Learn Letter Sounds," which is just the phonics taught in the BNRS. You could just get that, instead of the workbooks and whatnot that are part of the series.

Or you could go with ETC. 

• Like 1

Did you use just R&S for phonics?

Yes, I used just the Phonics workbook.

And is the TM needed?

I got it because it explains all the “rules†and has some extra stuff in it. It was very helpful to me. Edited by Hallyv
  • Like 1

Some free to print options:

CAT phonics:

http://www.phonics4free.org/mona-mcnee-biog

Old Open Court, most pages you could use will be in the Gold/ Blue books.

http://wigowsky.com/school/opencourt/opencourt.htm

My syllable division exercises and language worksheets:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

The workbooks I like best went OOP a year ago, the School Phonics Book 1and Book 2 student books by Didax Education.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

Ellie- can you give more thoughts on R&S spelling for 2nd and 3rd grades please?

I have to buy several years of curriculum next month as we will be stateside then, and my plan was R&S spelling.

The second and third grade Spelling by Sound and Structure books are very simple, and they're harmless. If you would like your children to do them, then do them. :-) Each lesson is only two pages (front and back of one page). Things really pick up with the fourth grade book, and it doesn't matter whether the children did the first two books or not.

• Like 1