Menu

Learning swimming strokes as an adult - how?

blondeviolin

I can swim across the pool, but not with any proper strokes. I'm tentatively thinking of learning swimming form and maybe just swimming laps for exercise.

I've heard of Total Immersion but I'm not athletic so I'm not sure I could teach myself this. Possible? My 10yo is a swimmer so maybe he could give me tips?

The pool on base here does lessons. Is that for people who don't swim at all? Or should I consider lessons? They also offer a masters team, however I'm not sure that's the right spot to learn either. I'm not competitive and I'm severely asthmatic so I'm not sure I'd ever be fast.

Edited by blondeviolin

1. Ask about adult lessons. Most places have levels. Every facility I've worked had an adult who had lots of teaching experience and a solid understanding of stroke mechanics teaching adult classes. So you may find your local place has a good group class for you.

2. Depending on where your skills are, one or two private lessons may get you to the next level where you can practice and improve on your own.

3. Look for the total immersion book at your library. It is an easy read. Supplement that with looking at YouTube videos of front crawl technique. Do the drills. Drills help you get better at parts. When you are good at drills you can be more successful at putting parts of the strokes together.

Total Immersion isn't about the strokes, it's about perfecting the strokes.  Get a couple private lessons, and if you have time & are and early morning person you could consider working out with a masters club a few times. Most are beginner friendly.

• Like 2

I would recommend an adult swim class - a ladies-only class if it's offered. The buoyancy issues that women experience are quite different than men, and you may feel less self-conscious as well. Swimming is a very humbling activity, but it can also be a lot of fun. There is definitely opportunities to have a lot of laughs while learning proper strokes. 

I would also try to get into a class with a mature person teaching it. I had no idea as a teen swim coach/instructor just how different mature women's bodies are to teens. I didn't know that some ladies float so well that it made it difficult for them get their feet back on the ground. Plus there are some arm/shoulder flexibility issues that can make it challenging for some older adults to do certain swim strokes - especially back crawl. 

• Like 1

lessons are for any age or ability.   if they do red cross (which they should), there are six levels that teach the different strokes, breathing, etc.

during one time period when dudeling was doing lessons - there was a woman who'd do laps with a face mask and snorkel.

I would definitely look for adult lessons. Or private lessons if you’re self conscious. I know the coach who worked with my kids this past summer often taught adult lessons. She was really wonderful.

If it were me I’d probably want private lessons. 😬 I think I’d be embarrassed in a group setting.

And as an aside, Swimming has been wonderful for my asthmatic hubby and daughter. It is the only sport that does not affect their asthma (as long as they swim regularly). And asthma does not slow them down. My daughter is one of the top swimmers in her age group in our area. Asthma does not slow her down at all. I’m thrilled that we found a sport that works well for her. If anything, it’s helped improve her asthma. She’s had fewer issues since she joined a swim team a couple years ago. So maybe doing some lap swimming will prove helpful for you too. 😀