Menu

Math SM, Key to, Dolciani

bfw0729

I have my 5th graders working on SM 5b at the moment. We do key to decimals and fractions on the weekends as homework..usually a page or two.. Fyi.. SM is done m-th and life of Fred on fridays. Anyway, I have SM 6a and 6b, key to algebra books, Dolciani pre algebra and Dolciani algebra. If we continue with SM and finish 6b, would you transition to Dolciani pre algebra or go straight to algebra? We also will be working through key to algebra on the weekends..only about 1-2 pages a weekend. OR would it be better to go from 5b to Dolciani pre algebra and then to Dolciani algebra? Last option, just go through all the books, which puts them in algebra as 8th graders. Fyi, they are older 5th graders.

Edited by bfw0729

FWIW, I don't think you can make that call until you can see how rock solid their pre-algebra skills are and how ready they are for abstract thinking that algebra requires. Some are developmentally ready sooner, others not yet. As someone who used to be a youth director, kids just get "strange" in the middle grade years. They are dealing with changing bodies, hormones, emotions, the desire for independence and individuality, peer acceptance, relationships etc. It's a total crap shoot as to what that would look like, and what each kid will struggle with as they also develop EF skills and how that plays out with their learning journey. You know your kids best, and my guess it would be hard to make that call now. You do have time on your side and the luxury of adjusting to whatever each child needs.

I am planning to take my time with PA myself and plan to meander through several resources outside of normal math progression because I am not in a rush to get there. 

Not that I am endorsing Mathnasium, I just think that their website article on algebra is on point. 

http://www.mathnasium.com/www-mathnasium-com-littleton-news-algebra-too-soon-

ETA: The discussion of hte other thread about algebra in 8th grade is pretty good if you want to take a look.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

I'm a big fan of finishing the elementary math series, if that series is working well. Year 6, of a 1st-6th series isn't extra, it's the end.

If there is no pressing need or direct benefit to skipping, then don't skip.

So long as SM continues to work well for you all, I would do SM6 and Keys to Algebra. You might consider transitioning from working Keys to by pages to working by the timer.

For whatever reason, we get more work done--and more accurately--when we work by the timer, instead of page count.

We never needed a prealgebra course, after MM6 kids are ready for Algebra 1, so I"m assuming it's similar for SM6.

We use Beast Academy currently as our primary math course, but use a lot of other resources in addition.  Since BA doesn't have a 6 is it safe to assume as AoPS states that they can move straight into the AoPS Pre-A text?  I assume this would be the equivalent of a 6th grade text.  We are moving very quickly through the BA books.  My son is also working through a Combinatronics text that was posted in another thread.  Then he has done things like all of the Dragon Box apps, recently finished Hands on Equations Level 1 in an afternoon.  I bought the Hands on Equations Verbal Questions book, but haven't presented that yet.  

Is there a good list of all the skills needed before moving on to Pre-A/A?  I have a big fear of doing this too soon.