Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW8: Munching through England and Scotland

Robin M

I just threw in the towel on The Alienist 100 pages in. I seriously do not get the positive reviews this book has received. It was anachronistic in the worst way. I have to wonder if he even picked up a history book. I couldn't get past how inappropriate some of the things expressed by the characters were for the time. I hate feeling like I'm having a random agenda shoved at me while I read a work of fiction. Ugh. I'm annoyed because I bought the physical copy and Audible as well so I could take advantage of listening while doing a lot of driving, so now I'm out both! I should've checked the one-star reviews before I bought them both! Rookie mistake being taken in by all the high ratings.  :glare:

On to the next book!  I am going to give Educated by Tara Westover a go. 

You can return audible books and get your credits back if you really hate them. Sounds like The Alienist qualifies!

• Like 5

I have discovered that trying to edit or write a story while you have a fever just doesn't work well. But got plenty of reading done.   I'm back in fighting form and finished ROSE. More on that tomorrow. 

How's the buying ban working out for you?  Coming up on two months and I haven't broken it yet!  :hurray:  

A few fun things to peruse until tomorrow:

Hemingway's advice on Writing,Ambition, the Art of Revision, and his reading list for aspiring writers.

Loved Annihilation? Here’s What to Read Next

World Book Day is coming up 

Beyond Hygge:  Ikigai, Lagom and other cozy concepts

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

I just finished Ozark, Ozark last night. Some good short stories and some good poetry was featured from writers who have mountain roots. I particularly enjoyed one section on language in the Ozarks. I'd probably like the Bill Bryson book listed above. :001_smile:

I'm trying to get into Eye of the World, but I tripped and fell over the prologue. I plan to dust off my shins and keep going, but wow! That's a dense read.

Keep swimming.  Each book has a very long prologue to get through.  Well worth it, but yes dense. It took me three or four false starts before I got into it. 

I'm about to start #10.

I think I toted half the library home with me today. Among the harvest is The Portable MFA in Creative Writing. I'm kind of between major projects right now while I wallow in the query trenches with the first novel of an anticipated trilogy. I'm pot-boiling with short stories, working out the first draft of the sequel to the first novel, but I figured some focused exercises in writing would be interesting. So far I'm enjoying it.

I have this one on my shelves.  Another good book for writing prompts is Write Brain workbook. The Making of the Story by La Plante has wonderful writing exercises and if you are working with certain characters or a particular story, will generate much writing.  You may want to also check out Gabriela's DIY MFA. Loads of valuable writing information.

• Like 5

Finished the audio book Evans Above by Rhys Bowen and am counting it for Brig Trip as Evan travels down (?) into Manchester.

Not a favourite book for me, just okay.

Others who like to know content extras that are hard to skip on audio: there is one f bomb, some sexual innuendo.

Eta: Oh. and the barmaid is an aggressive vamp. Wondering where the author is going to take that.

I have never listened to Evans and now I won’t! F bombs are so much easier to skip and not really notice in print.

I am going to be honest and say those books just make me happy because I love Snowdonia and the titles have an E for spelling challenges. My family almost managed to climb it a couple of years ago but gave up around 2/3 up because of extreme heat. It was an easier climb then anticipated because we went way higher in our walk then we really had planned. Because it started as a walk that just kept going! Bad sunburns for all on the hottest day of the summer in a place where it rains about 300 days a year! I doubt that I will ever manage to climb it completely because there is a place near the summit where you cross a section that is just a few feet long but very narrow with a big drop on each side. Not for me! Could never go across. Would love to go back and try again.

Good Snowdon pictures here. http://www.snowdon-summit.co.uk

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5

Keep swimming.  Each book has a very long prologue to get through.  Well worth it, but yes dense. It took me three or four false starts before I got into it. 

I'm about to start #10.

I have this one on my shelves.  Another good book for writing prompts is Write Brain workbook. The Making of the Story by La Plante has wonderful writing exercises and if you are working with certain characters or a particular story, will generate much writing.  You may want to also check out Gabriela's DIY MFA. Loads of valuable writing information.

I will. Thanks. Those resources look good. I plan to share them with a friend of mine who is also querying right now and needs something to work on to get the creative brain going again. After cutting, editing and rewriting, sometimes it's just hard to get going again.

• Like 3