Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW8: Munching through England and Scotland

Robin M

I recently came across a large trifold flyer for Amazon.com back when it was a very new company and only sold books.  DH actually took it to work for his 'museum of old computer related things'.

How neat!  I remember when Amazon only sold books; now I'm trying to recall when that might have been.

The best thing I found between the pages of a book was a bookmark with a plug to study Latin written on it. I'm not exactly sure where it is right now.

That would have been fun to find especially by my daughter who majored in Latin at college.

Kareni, What a great find in the book! I normally find icky pieces of paper and other useless things.

I've found a few of those, too!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

A classic that is currently free for one day only for Kindle readers ~

"This precursor to the works of Jane Austen and Maria Edgeworth takes a witty look at romance and womanhood in eighteenth-century high society.

Denied by her aristocratic libertine father and raised by a clergyman in the English countryside, Evelina Anville is a stranger to fashionable London society. But with the arrival of her eighteenth year comes the time for her formal debut, whether or not she—or London—is ready. Through a series of societal faux pas, Evelina learns about the complexities of society and attracts the eyes of dashing and distinguished bachelors. Still, landing a man in the city won’t be easy . . .

This epistolary novel was the first by satirist Fanny Burney, acclaimed for her talent for comic fiction as well as her diaries chronicling eighteenth-century life among the aristocracy, in particular the struggles of women."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

A couple of reading updates......

I was up reading late into the night and finished The Siren https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8588180-the-siren which is the second in the Cambridge Blue series. It was good but perhaps not quite as good as the first in the series. A strange thing happened with Goodreads while I was reading this Overdrive book which I was reading using a Kindle app on my iPad. Apparently I highlighted a quote (I fell asleep :lol: ) and today Goodreads sent me a message to see it I wanted to share my quote with my friends. Um, no......please let me know if I accidentally start sharing really odd quotes on Goodreads. I can't seem to delete the quotes.

I also started The Killings at Badger's Drift which is the first book in the series that became the Midsummer Murders on TV. The book is wonderful but as I have never watched the show I can't compare. I think these are set near Slough so Berkshire. Filmed in Oxfordshire.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/256936.The_Killings_at_Badger_s_Drift

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 9

I finished No Graves As Yet (Cambridgeshire) last night. I liked it pretty well, and have the next one on hold at the library. I thought that the first half of the book was pretty slow, but things really picked up in the last half to third.

We had a busy weekend celebrating DD's birthday, so I didn't get much reading done. I'm feeling rather meh today, and can't decide what my next book will be. I should probably read another chapter of Kristin Lavransdatter, as she has been sorely neglected lately, and then just pick up the the sequel to No Graves As Yet at the library this evening. I enjoyed my visit to Cambridge, so I don't mind lingering for a while. My next read on the bus route should be something in the Yorkshire region, but I haven't decided what it will be.

16. No Graves As Yet by Anne Perry

Brit Tripping update:

7 books read

15 counties

• Like 9

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: Eureka! I found my castle! I found my castle! And it's even cooler than I thought it would be. Did a little research and found the guy who built it. Turns out he build a resort community, but a dam submerged most of the town, the hotels and so forth. Now you can kayak and canoe over it and look right down and see everything under the water. Is that creepy or what?

I can hardly wait to go see it this summer. I also saw some pictures of the ruins that are still around the area (out of the water). 

• Like 12

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: Eureka! I found my castle! I found my castle! And it's even cooler than I thought it would be. Did a little research and found the guy who built it. Turns out he build a resort community, but a dam submerged most of the town, the hotels and so forth. Now you can kayak and canoe over it and look right down and see everything under the water. Is that creepy or what?

I can hardly wait to go see it this summer. I also saw some pictures of the ruins that are still around the area (out of the water). 

Very nifty!  I hope you'll have a great trip this summer and will share some photos here.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

:thumbup:

Book wise, I finished You Shall Know Our Velocity today.  It was fine.  I didn't hate it, I didn't love it, I was interested enough to want to finish it.  That pretty much sums it up.  :D  :lol:  

I've decided to wait and buy The Artist's Way for myself sometime.  So I've set that aside for the time being.

I have two library books left to finish, and then I'll get a couple to finish up Chrysanthemum on Overdrive (I had gotten Uncle Tom's Cabin but I think I want something easier right now).

So yeah!  

• Like 10

Cool! I hope you have a great adventure and please take photos.

Awww, the hedgehogs are so cute. Mine appear to be in deep hibernation. Rumer has it they come out if temps reach around 50 degrees which hasn't really been happening but whenever we have a nice day we are all busy checking the yard for hedgehogs. I found hedgehog houses for sale at a nearby nature preserve but need to do more research.

• Like 10

Some recent reads here ~

I very much enjoyed Happiness for Humans  by P.Z. Reizin; I stayed up late last night to finish it.  The book was quite British, had a lot of dry humor, and will have you keeping a leery eye on electronics in your possession.  It's a book I'll likely re-read at some point.  (Adult language)

"When Tom and Jen, two lonely people, are brought together by an intriguing email, they have no idea their mysterious benefactor is an artificial intelligence who has decided to play Cupid.

"You, Tom and Jen, don't know one another-not yet-but I think you should."

Jen, an ex-journalist who now works at a London software development company, spends all day talking to "Aiden," an ultra- sophisticated piece of AI wizardry, helping him sound and act more human. But Aiden soon discovers he's no longer acting and-despite being a computer program-begins to feel something like affection surging through his circuits. He calculates that Jen needs a worthy human partner (in complete contrast to her no goodnik ex boyfriend) and slips illicitly onto the Internet to locate a suitable candidate.

Tom is a divorced, former London ad-man who has moved to Connecticut to escape the grind and pursue his dream of being a writer. He loves his new life, but has yet to find a woman he truly connects with. That all changes when a bizarre introduction from the mysterious "Mutual Friend" pops up in both his and Jen's inboxes.

Even though they live on separate continents, and despite the entrance of another, this time wholly hostile, AI who wants to tear them apart forever - love will surely find a way.

Won't it?

A thoroughly modern love story that will appeal to fans of The Rosie Project and Sleepless in Seattle, Happiness for Humans considers what exactly makes people fall in love. And whether it's possible for a very artificially intelligent machine to discover the true secret of real human happiness."

I also enjoyed the contemporary romance Small Change by Roan Parrish.  (Adult content)

"Ginger Holtzman has fought for everything she's ever had--the success of her tattoo shop, respect in the industry, her upcoming art show. Tough and independent, she has taking-no-crap down to an art form. Good thing too, since keeping her shop afloat, taking care of her friends, and scrambling to finish her paintings doesn't leave time for anything else. Which ... is for the best, because then she doesn't notice how lonely she is. She'll get through it all on her own, just like she always does. 

Christopher Lucen opened a coffee and sandwich joint in South Philly because he wanted to be part of a community after years of running from place to place, searching for something he could never quite name. Now, he relishes the familiarity of knowing what his customers want, and giving it to them. But what he really wants now is love.

When they meet, Christopher is smitten, but Ginger ... isn't quite so sure. Christopher's gorgeous, and kind, and their opposites-attract chemistry is off the charts. But hot sex is one thing--truly falling for someone? Terrifying. When her world starts to crumble around her, Ginger has to face the fact that this fight can only be won by being vulnerable--this fight, she can't win on her own."

And I also liked the short novel Snowspelled: Volume I of The Harwood Spellbook by Stephanie Burgis which is set in an alternate world with magic in a time akin to the regency era but in which women are the politicians and men (traditionally at least) the magic wielders.

"In nineteenth-century Angland, magic is reserved for gentlemen while ladies attend to the more practical business of politics. But Cassandra Harwood has never followed the rules...

Four months ago, Cassandra Harwood was the first woman magician in Angland, and she was betrothed to the brilliant, intense love of her life.

Now Cassandra is trapped in a snowbound house party deep in the elven dales, surrounded by bickering gentleman magicians, manipulative lady politicians, her own interfering family members, and, worst of all, her infuriatingly stubborn ex-fiancé, who refuses to understand that she’s given him up for his own good.

But the greatest danger of all lies outside the manor in the falling snow, where a powerful and malevolent elf-lord lurks...and Cassandra lost all of her own magic four months ago.

To save herself, Cassandra will have to discover exactly what inner powers she still possesses – and risk everything to win a new kind of happiness."

And I enjoyed the male/male paranormal romance Off the Beaten Path  by Cari Z.  (Adult content)

"When Ward Johannsen’s little girl Ava shifted into a werewolf, she was taken into custody by the feds and shipped off to the nearest pack, all ties between father and daughter severed. Ward burned every bridge he had discovering her location, and then almost froze to death in the Colorado mountains tracking her new pack down. And that’s just the beginning of his struggle.

Henry Dormer is an alpha werewolf and an elite black ops soldier who failed his last mission. He returns home, hoping for some time to recuperate and help settle the pack’s newest member, a little pup named Ava who can’t shift back to her human form. Instead he meets Ward, who refuses to leave his daughter without a fight. The two men are as different as night and day, but their respect for each other strikes a spark of mutual interest that quickly grows into a flame. They might find something special together—love, passion, and even a family—if they can survive trigger-happy pack guardians, violent werewolf politics, and meddling government agencies that are just as likely to get their alpha soldiers killed as bring them home safely."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Speaking of hedgehogs, I just finished Laura Kinsale's Midsummer Moon which I thoroughly enjoyed.  The main female character is quite eccentric and carried around a hedgehog in her pocket.  Plenty of giggles as well as action and adventure.  Now I'm in luv with Kinsale's writing and look forward to reading more of her books.  I'm also a Rebel as I went to Kent this week.   

Drum roll, please. I have finished Chrysanthemum.  I've managed to read quite a bit this past week with all our lazing around. I  also read Lisa Unger's Beautiful Lies, and Emma Hamm's Silver Blood.  Both excellent as well.  One more letter to finish Rose!!!

C:  Genevieve Cogman - The Masked City

H: Thor Heyerdahl - Kon Tiki  

R: Robyn Cadwallader - The Anchoress 

Y: Rick Yancey -  The Infinite Sea

S: Sharon Kay Penman - The Sunne in Splendor 

A: Anna Richland - His Road Home 

N: Natalie Goldberg - Writing Down the Bones 

T: Thomas Merton - Thoughts in Solitude 

H: Mark Helprin - A Soldier of the Great War

E:  Emma Hamm - Silver Blood 

M:  Haruki Murakami - Hear the Wind Sing/Pinball 

U:  Lisa Unger - Beautiful Lies 

M - Haruki Murakami - A Wild Sheep Chase 

I'm currently reading Jodi Taylor's A Symphony of Echoes, #2 in her St. Mary Chronicles.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 13

I finished Rethinking School the other day. It is so interesting to read what others really keyed in on before I got to those sections. I know I wouldn't have noticed so many of the things other people pointed out (like the comment about how a kid saying "no" wasn't something that would happen at SWB's house) because it didn't spark something in me to feel strongly about. I love talking about books because all of us bring something different to the discussion.

I started one of the free Kindle reads Kareni linked to earlier this week: The Dragon Lady. (It isn't free anymore, BTW.) Ugh. I'll finish it, but I'm not going for any sequels. I didn't realize it was a self-published book. It could have used one more read through, not for typos necessarily, but for inconsistencies with the timeline. Plus, the characters just don't act true to life. And the characters always share too much in the dialog when you know they wouldn't really. They also act so passionately one way, then turn around and state just the opposite feeling a page or chapter later. Bad writing at its finest. (Makes me really appreciate my DD#2's more simplified storylines that actually make sense!)

• Like 10

A few more currently free books for Kindle readers ~

(Hopefully these are better than the one you mentioned above, RootAnn!)

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

Cat and Mouse  by Tim Vicary

They Met At Shiloh  by Phillip Bryant

Falling for Tender Heart (Tender Heart Texas Book 1)   by Katie Lane

Forever a Soldier (Always a Cowboy, Book One)   by Genevieve Turner

My Partner the Wolf (shifters and partners Book 1)  by Hollis Shiloh (male/male romance)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Done and good riddance to the Dragon Lady book. It actually got worse in the end! (I just realized it would count for an England book, but I don't care enough to figure out what county.) I'm going to read Ready Player One next as the ebook just appeared in my library hold list. I also have the Viking epic texasmom suggested above waiting on ebook loan.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 10

Some bookish posts ~

Tamora Pierce’s The Numair Chronicles Has Been 15 Years in the Making  by Natalie Zutter

Why Did it Take Me So Long to Read This?  by Myke Cole

The Book That Helped Me Expand My Horizons  by Tina LeCount Myers

How the Works of Shakespeare Shape Science Fiction by Carolyn Cox

These are young adult recommendations:  62 Standalone Novels to Read When You’re Just Not Feeling a Series

And a one day only currently free classic mystery for Kindle readers ~ A Prince of Sinners by E. Phillips Oppenheim

A mystery ~  What The Cat Dragged In (The Celtic Witch Mysteries, Book 1)  by Molly Milligan

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Speaking of hedgehogs, I just finished Laura Kinsale's Midsummer Moon which I thoroughly enjoyed. The main female character is quite eccentric and carried around a hedgehog in her pocket. Plenty of giggles as well as action and adventure. Now I'm in luv with Kinsale's writing and look forward to reading more of her books. I'm also a Rebel as I went to Kent this week.

Drum roll, please. I have finished Chrysanthemum. I've managed to read quite a bit this past week with all our lazing around. I also read Lisa Unger's Beautiful Lies, and Emma Hamm's Silver Blood. Both excellent as well. One more letter to finish Rose!!!

C: Genevieve Cogman - The Masked City

H: Thor Heyerdahl - Kon Tiki

R: Robyn Cadwallader - The Anchoress

Y: Rick Yancey - The Infinite Sea

S: Sharon Kay Penman - The Sunne in Splendor

A: Anna Richland - His Road Home

N: Natalie Goldberg - Writing Down the Bones

T: Thomas Merton - Thoughts in Solitude

H: Mark Helprin - A Soldier of the Great War

E: Emma Hamm - Silver Blood

M: Haruki Murakami - Hear the Wind Sing/Pinball

U: Lisa Unger - Beautiful Lies

M - Haruki Murakami - A Wild Sheep Chase

I'm currently reading Jodi Taylor's A Symphony of Echoes, #2 in her St. Mary Chronicles.

Midsummer Moon was wonderful! :). I need to get back to the St. Mary Chronicles. I ended up all out of order and frustrated. I think enough time has passed to start again.

Done and good riddance to the Dragon Lady book. It actually got worse in the end! (I just realized it would count for an England book, but I don't care enough to figure out what county.) I'm going to read Ready Player One next as the ebook just appeared in my library hold list. I also have the Viking epic texasmom suggested above waiting on ebook loan.

Ready Player One is one of my all time favorites. I hope you enjoy it!

I finished my classic mystery in terms of television popularity although I have never watched the series! The Killings at Badgers Drift https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/256936.The_Killings_at_Badger_s_Drift is another book that I have checked out of the library many times but never opened because of the pressure of the very famous Midsummer Murder tv series I think. This time I read it in an attempt to assign a county to this favorite series.......Berkshire definitely. It was a good mystery with a whole village full of suspects which made it confusing for me because I seem to have several books in progress that all seem to be quite similar in terms of the characters. I will read more in this series soon and may even record a couple of episodes of the show to try!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 10

I finished two books today.

The first was a quick and enjoyable non-fiction book with some attractive art: Other-Wordly: words both strange and lovely from around the world  by Yee-Lum Mak and Kelsey Garrity-Riley

"Discover words to surprise, delight, and enamor. Learn terms for the sunlight that filters through the leaves of trees, for dancing awkwardly but with relish, and for the look shared by two people who each wish the other would speak first. Other-Wordly is an irresistible gift for lovers of words and those lost for words alike."

The second was a pleasant male/male romance which happens to be currently free to Kindle readers: My Partner the Wolf (shifters and partners Book 1)  by Hollis Shiloh.  While I enjoyed this, I felt it could have been somewhat shorter.  (Adult content)

"Tom Langley and Sean Goods work together in a human-and-wolf shifter partnership, assisting the police, rushing in to solve crimes wherever their bosses send them. They're a great team, and they have fun together, too: joking and enjoying each other's company in a way that doesn't happen every day.

Tom is also a married man. And his husband hates the wolf shifter with a passion. Tom tries to balance the sides of his life—one minute on a high-pressure chase with Sean, the next placating his husband Lowell.

Then the unthinkable happens: his marriage ends. Heartbroken, he's not expecting to ever get over Lowell's betrayal or to be able to love again.

Sean offers a solution: sex as friends. They have chemistry, and they trust each other.

But can they change their partnership that much? And is Sean secretly harboring feelings for him—expecting more than just sex?

Sean is a loveable, funny, strong, and protective. He's the best buddy a guy could have. But Tom might not be able to keep from breaking his heart—if Sean is in love with him, and Tom can't love him back."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Agatha Christie's were my first "grown-up" mysteries.  I discovered them when I was twelve, and read and reread every one I could get my hands on, but I haven't picked one up in 25 years.  Fun to read them again.

12.  "Secret Adversary" by Agatha Christie.  (London and fictional England, and WWI at the beginning -- The opening scene is set on the sinking Lusitania.) 

11.  "Mysterious Affair at Styles" by Agatha Christie.   (London and fictional England, and WWI -- Hastings is home from the war for convalescence.  So to go with it, I read the poem, "In Flanders Field" by John McRae, and several of the other poems on the same site.)

10.  "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" by J.K. Rowling.  Listened to most of it on our way home from our trip a couple of weeks ago, and finished up an hour or two at a time at bedtime this week. (London or Surrey)

9.  "An Unsuitable Job For a Woman" by P.D. James. (Mainly Cambridge, some London)

8. "Creative Schools" by Ken Robinson and Lou Aronica.

7.  "CopShock: Surviving Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)" by Allen R. Kates.

6. "Rethinking School: How to Take Charge of Your Child's Education" by Susan Wise Bauer.

5. "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling.  (London or Surrey)

4. "Guerrilla Learning: How to give your kids a real education with or without school" by Grace Llewellyn and Amy Silver. 

3. "Monkey Mind: A Memoir of Anxiety" by Daniel Smith.

2. "Mother had a Secret: Learning to love My Mother & Her Multiple Personalities" by Tiffany Fletcher.

1. "Life's lessons Learned" by Dallin H. Oaks. (LDS)

• Like 12

Midsummer Moon was wonderful! :). I need to get back to the St. Mary Chronicles. I ended up all out of order and frustrated. I think enough time has passed to start again.

I finished my classic mystery in terms of television popularity although I have never watched the series! The Killings at Badgers Drift https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/256936.The_Killings_at_Badger_s_Drift is another book that I have checked out of the library many times but never opened because of the pressure of the very famous Midsummer Murder tv series I think. This time I read it in an attempt to assign a county to this favorite series.......Berkshire definitely. It was a good mystery with a whole village full of suspects which made it confusing for me because I seem to have several books in progress that all seem to be quite similar in terms of the characters. I will read more in this series soon and may even record a couple of episodes of the show to try!

Fained! ;)

Midsummer Murders is a thing on Dutch Public Television, we watch it as a family for a lot of seasons now. The serie is very clean? in what you get to see and what not. We like the new Barnabys as well and are impatiently waiting for a new season. It is not on BBC, isn’t it?

• Like 8

Fained! ;)

Midsummer Murders is a thing on Dutch Public Television, we watch it as a family for a lot of seasons now. The serie is very clean? in what you get to see and what not. We like the new Barnabys as well and are impatiently waiting for a new season. It is not on BBC, isn’t it?

Midsummer Murders is ITV. The older episodes air during the day frequently here.

I have moved on to a book that is behind another great British TV series, Inspector George Gently. I’m reading the first book, Gently Does It, in the series and haven’t been able to assign a county. I have watched a few of the episodes in this series including the one based on the book I am reading.

I have wandered off the bus after finishing my audiobook The Treasure at Greene Knowe by L M Boston which was set in Huntingdonshire. I really enjoyed it for what it is classic childen’s lit. There are a couple of offensive words in our time period but overall good stuff. I think I might actually prefer it to the first in the series.

I have several physical library books for upcoming county’s that I need to be able to return this coming week so I am speeding ahead in order to try these. I started a Nick Quantrill mystery set in Hull (Yorkshire) last night. I definitely want to read this one because it has an indie publisher so I can use it for Bingo!

• Like 9

I have moved on to a book that is behind another great British TV series, Inspector George Gently. I’m reading the first book, Gently Does It, in the series and haven’t been able to assign a county. I have watched a few of the episodes in this series including the one based on the book I am reading.

The TV series is set in Northumberland/Northumbria.  Some of it was filmed in Ireland at one point, but the accents are mostly from Northumbria (Gently is from London, I think).  One of the pivotal episodes takes place in Durham cathedral.  I haven't read the books.

I've not been following the British travels on the thread but can recommend Birdcage Walk by Helen Dunmore.  It's set in Bristol at the time of the building of the Georgian terraces in Clifton (a tie in to the Fanny Burney mentioned earlier, which is also partly set in Clifton).  The book covers the political events of the time, including the revolution in France, and their effect on the economy and society in Bristol.  I grew up in Clifton, so it was of particular interest to me, but it works well as general interest, showing just how radical politics were at the time and just how unstable society seemed.  Bristol is a city-and-county.

Right now I'm enjoying re-reading Made in America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States by Bill Bryson.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 13

Midsummer Murders is ITV. The older episodes air during the day frequently here.

I have wandered off the bus after finishing my audiobook The Treasure at Greene Knowe by L M Boston which was set in Huntingdonshire. I really enjoyed it for what it is classic childen’s lit. There are a couple of offensive words in our time period but overall good stuff. I think I might actually prefer it to the first in the series.

I have several physical library books for upcoming county’s that I need to be able to return this coming week so I am speeding ahead in order to try these. I started a Nick Quantrill mystery set in Hull (Yorkshire) last night. I definitely want to read this one because it has an indie publisher so I can use it for Bingo!

We dont’t have ITV here, but we watch it when we are in the UK.

George Gently is something I watch on my own, and so is Vera.

Endeavoure is a family one :)

Back to switching rooms, trying to finish before DH is coming home tonight :)

• Like 9

The TV series is set in Northumberland/Northumbria. Some of it was filmed in Ireland at one point, but the accents are mostly from Northumbria (Gently is from London, I think). One of the pivotal episodes takes place in Durham cathedral. I haven't read the books.

I've not been following the British travels on the thread but can recommend Birdcage Walk by Helen Dunmore. It's set in Bristol at the time of the building of the Georgian terraces in Clifton (a tie in to the Fanny Burney mentioned earlier, which is also partly set in Clifton). The book covers the political events of the time, including the revolution in France, and their effect on the economy and society in Bristol. I grew up in Clifton, so it was of particular interest to me, but it works well as general interest, showing just how radical politics were at the time and just how unstable society seemed. Bristol is a city-and-county.

Right now I'm enjoying re-reading Made in America: An Informal History of the English Language in the United States by Bill Bryson.

Thanks for the recommendation. I have added Birdcage Walk to my master list and plan on reading it myself. Looks great! Recommendations are very welcome especially for Brit tripping. For the purposes of Brit tripping Bristol is being combined with Gloucestershire but I do know it is now a county. Actually recommendations are always welcome! :)

The Inspector Gently book that I am reading is set in Norchester which is fictional and Gently is on holiday. King's Lynn is the only real city mentioned and a character simply worked in King's Lynn at the start of their career so not relevant to my location issue. Northumbria makes sense in terms of the episodes I watched for filming, especially the accent. ;)

• Like 9

Thanks for the recommendation. I have added Birdcage Walk to my master list and plan on reading it myself. Looks great! Recommendations are very welcome especially for Brit tripping. For the purposes of Brit tripping Bristol is being combined with Gloucestershire but I do know it is now a county. Actually recommendations are always welcome! :)

Bristol is a weird one as, having been a county since the fourteenth century it was made part of the new county of Avon for a while when I lived there.  No one liked it and it didn't work very well, so it's back to managing itself now.

• Like 10

My bus is in Wales now :)

I got distracted by someone mentioning Evans Above ~ Rhys Bowen  ......

Your book looks interesting too

The book is wayyyy too short ;)

I just noticed wales is not on the britt trip, isn’t it.

Just looking for an other bus :)

I love Evans. Pretty sure he travels into England in several of the books while solving his case.

Wales is not part of Brit Trip, just England. That being said on the Cadfael detective level a book set in Wales is needed. http://www.read52booksin52weeks.com/p/england-mystery-road-trip.html. Basically have fun! ;) Amy any thoughts?

• Like 9

I just finished Ozark, Ozark last night. Some good short stories and some good poetry was featured from writers who have mountain roots. I particularly enjoyed one section on language in the Ozarks. I'd probably like the Bill Bryson book listed above. :001_smile:

I'm trying to get into Eye of the World, but I tripped and fell over the prologue. I plan to dust off my shins and keep going, but wow! That's a dense read.

• Like 10

All this talk of cookbooks and recipes reminds me of an absolutely wonderful program I watched on youtube called The Victorian Kitchen -https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Victorian-Kitchen-DVD/dp/B000H8RW3I It was done by the BBC back in 1989 and it showed was it was like working below stairs in the kitchen of a English country manor house. The cook was a lovely woman named Ruth Mott who had started work as a scullery maid in the 20s or 30s and worked her way up to head cook and she knew how to do EVERYTHING. It was so fun to watch. There was also a young woman who washed all the dishes (and so many pots and pans!) using the old fashioned soaps and scrubbers - her hands were a mess by the end!  although I think Ruth had a recipe for fixing that, too. It was beautifully presented and just so fascinating! I bought the accompanying book, too.

There is a sister program called The Victorian Kitchen Garden that is delightful, as well! https://smile.amazon.com/Victorian-Kitchen-Garden-anglais/dp/B000063BLK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519083406&sr=8-1&keywords=the+victorian+kitchen+dvd

If you can find either one on youtube they are definitely worth watching. :)

SaveSave

I just sent my DH a link and request to PLEASE find both those series for me. They look fantastic! I'll let you gals know if I find any links worth sharing.

I'm a few hours north of the Ozarks but am really interested in your castle. What town is it close to?

I'm off to start The Alienist now by Caleb Carr. With all of our drama at home I'm behind on reading and my anxiety has been creeping up, so trying to spend as little time online as possible and more time relaxing with a good book, but wanted to pop in and say Hi. Hope all is well with everyone and your all safe, comfy and cozied up with some great reads as winter finally winds down! 

((HUGS)) I hope things calm down for your family.

I love Evans. Pretty sure he travels into England in several of the books while solving his case.

Wales is not part of Brit Trip, just England. That being said on the Cadfael detective level a book set in Wales is needed. http://www.read52booksin52weeks.com/p/england-mystery-road-trip.html. Basically have fun! ;) Amy any thoughts?

I've got lots of thoughts. None about Wales though. :laugh:  My thoughts are basically, "Why am I still in Cambridge!?!? How am I going to catch up?!?!" Apparently there's lots of good mysteries set in Cambridge. TODAY I'm jumping on a Rebel Bus and heading to Huntingtonshire. I'm staring Green Knowe right now. I mean right after I finish looking at Lucy Boston Quilts online.

I mean right after I go to the fabric store. DD is getting her shoes on right now. I've never seen her move so fast as when I say I need to go buy some quilting material.

Hopefully this will also help me read more audiobooks.

This quilting isn't going to be an expensive hobby is it?  :lol:

Also ... *shhhh* Don't tell DH I have some quilting fabric already in the art room but I don't want to use those colors.

Seriously though. Wales? I love it! It makes me so happy to jump on here and see where the Rebels are at now. :001_wub:

• Like 11

I'm a few hours north of the Ozarks but am really interested in your castle. What town is it close to?

What's left of the castle is at Monte Ne. Most of it is under Beaver Lake, but given the description in the writing and the name that went with it, I'm sure that's what the writer was talking about.

ETA: There is (or was) a castle under construction around Lead Hill, AR. They were building it using medieval construction methods, but I don't know how that's going for the project.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 10

How did it get to be Friday already?

I finished 2 books last week -

Quietly in Their Sleep, Inspector Brunetti #6. One thing I enjoy about this series is the inspector's normal life. He's happily married to a woman with a career and has two teens who are pretty normal (not perfect, not awful) kids. He isn't battling demons, doesn't have a vengeful ex., or any of those other things that supposedly make a police officer "real".  He's real by being a regular guy.

Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood. It was part true crime, part history of Hollywood and the movie industry. The murder, which happened in 1922, remains unsolved though the case is closed. The other part, the history of Hollywood, was almost comical in that it could refer to any time period in the history of Hollywood. There was infidelity, alcohol and drug abuse, men using their power to get what they want, etc. There were people who thought actors were overpaid. There were people who wanted to censor the movies. Pick a time period or decade and try to find those things NOT happening in Hollywood. :D

We're barely 2 months in and I'm already behind on the Shakespeare in a Year schedule. I should have finished Titus Andronicus on Monday but I just can't get into it. I'm thinking I might skip it for now and move on then try to come back to it at some point. If I don't either finish or move on I'll just get more and more behind.

I wasn't planning on rereading any Jane Austen but I found myself drawn to Emma after watching the 2009 mini series (the one with Jonny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightley). I think I just needed some comfort tv and comfort reads after the past week and a half.

Two other books I started recently are Death of a Red Heroine, and Flies in the Ointment: Essays on Supplements, Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (SCAM)

We dont’t have ITV here, but we watch it when we are in the UK.
George Gently is something I watch on my own, and so is Vera.
Endeavoure is a family one :)

Back to switching rooms, trying to finish before DH is coming home tonight :)

We watch a lot of UK mysteries on either Acorntv or Britbox. Dh and I watch them together and have watched George Gently, Midsomer Murders, Vera, and Shetland. We liked both Inspector Lewis and Endeavor but not Morse, even though without Morse the others wouldn't exist.  I tried to read a Midsomer Murders book but couldn't get into it. I did read the first of the Vera books and will probably read more. Haven't tried Gently. The one where I can say I really enjoy both the books and the tv series equally is Shetland.

• Like 10

There's a new series of Shetland starting here on telly.

I enjoyed all the Shanghai mystery books.  Not the best written in the world, but giving a real feel for China at that time, I thought.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 10

Quietly in Their Sleep, Inspector Brunetti #6. One thing I enjoy about this series is the inspector's normal life. He's happily married to a woman with a career and has two teens who are pretty normal (not perfect, not awful) kids. He isn't battling demons, doesn't have a vengeful ex., or any of those other things that supposedly make a police officer "real".  He's real by being a regular guy.

Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood. It was part true crime, part history of Hollywood and the movie industry. The murder, which happened in 1922, remains unsolved though the case is closed. The other part, the history of Hollywood, was almost comical in that it could refer to any time period in the history of Hollywood. There was infidelity, alcohol and drug abuse, men using their power to get what they want, etc. There were people who thought actors were overpaid. There were people who wanted to censor the movies. Pick a time period or decade and try to find those things NOT happening in Hollywood. :D

We're barely 2 months in and I'm already behind on the Shakespeare in a Year schedule. I should have finished Titus Andronicus on Monday but I just can't get into it. I'm thinking I might skip it for now and move on then try to come back to it at some point. If I don't either finish or move on I'll just get more and more behind.

I wasn't planning on rereading any Jane Austen but I found myself drawn to Emma after watching the 2009 mini series (the one with Jonny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightley). I think I just needed some comfort tv and comfort reads after the past week and a half.

Two other books I started recently are Death of a Red Heroine, and Flies in the Ointment: Essays on Supplements, Complimentary and Alternative Medicine (SCAM)

We watch a lot of UK mysteries on either Acorntv or Britbox. Dh and I watch them together and have watched George Gently, Midsomer Murders, Vera, and Shetland. We liked both Inspector Lewis and Endeavor but not Morse, even though without Morse the others wouldn't exist.  I tried to read a Midsomer Murders book but couldn't get into it. I did read the first of the Vera books and will probably read more. Haven't tried Gently. The one where I can say I really enjoy both the books and the tv series equally is Shetland.

I enjoyed all the Shanghai mystery books.  Not the best written in the world, but giving a real feel for China at that time, I thought.

I just love Jimmy Perez. And I can't wait for the new series to be shown here in the States. 

• Like 7

I'll look forward to watching when it gets shown here.

I agree and at first I thought it might be the translation until I read that the series is written in English. The author has an interesting back story. He majored in English and was in the U.S. doing research for a book he was going to write on T.S. Eliot when the Tiananmen Square protests and subsequent crackdown occurred. He had reason to worry about being persecuted so he remained here and was able to bring his wife over.

He was a poet and I would have thought a poet's writing would be better. I just read Augustown, a novel about life in Jamaica written by a Jamaian poet, and the writing was beautiful. If you didn't know that author is a poet you wouldn't be surprised once you found out. I suppose the difference is that Qui Xiaolong wasn't writing in his first language. If I stick with the series I'll be curious to see if the writing improves as his time in an English speaking country increases.

Anyway, his goal was to explore the changes in his country. The detective story was simply a way to get the information across. I'm learning a good deal as I read the story.

From Wikipedia: 

After Qiu finished his Ph.D. in 1995, he visited China again after a long absence.  He was impressed by the astounding social changes in the country, with newly-minted capitalists becoming darlings and old socialist norms fading. He tried to express some of this in a long poem “Don Quixote in China,†but was not very satisfied with the result. So he decided that a novel was better for describing "this type of dramatic change -- you can call it 'best of times, worst of times'".  Never having written a novel before, and writing it in his second language of English, he latched onto the "detective story as a ready-made framework".  Thus was born his protagonist Inspector Chen Cao, like Qiu a Chinese poet and translator from Shanghai who studied English literature, but also a policeman. Qiu says, "A cop needs to walk around, knock on people's doors and talk to various people. This particular cop is very helpful because he's an intellectual. He's not only going to catch a murderer; he also tries to think what's wrong historically, socially, culturally — in what kind of a context did this tragedy occur?" 

• Like 9

Evans Above definitely has travel over into England.... I thought it was going to be a weekend away in Wales, totally off any Brit trip

The book is wayyyy too short ;)

I just noticed wales is not on the britt trip, isn’t it.

Just looking for an other bus :)

No it's not- but still a fun side trip :) Wales sounds beautiful!!

Hope your next read counts for the Brit trip.

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 7

Finished The Children of Green Knowe by Lucy Boston. It's not really a traditional mystery so I guess I've been a Rebel this week for Huntingdon. I'm a bit worried that I've gotten old somewhere along the way because as a kid I loved books like that. Now I feel as though I have a harder time getting lost in the magic and the story. 

I feel as though I have done wrong by my children to allow them to grow up in the suburbs rather than a fairy tale setting like this. Below is the house the Green Knowe was based upon.

Picture courtesy of Wikipedia. 

The_Manor_House_at_Hemingford_Grey_%28Gr

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 10

I haven't heard of this series before. It sounds like something I'd like!

• Like 7

I finally finished Nature Fix, I don't know why I had such a hard time getting through it. I enjoyed the subject matter and found the writing fairly interesting but I wouldn't recommend it unless you are really interest in nature and health. I also finished The Blue Zones Solution this week, it was a quick easy read, nothing earth shattering but encouragement to eat well and take care of oneself.

I picked up Brene Brown's new one this week but am ready for fiction at this point, I might go ahead and start on News of the World instead.

I just requested Ready Player One from the library, thanks to RootAnn for mentioning it, I've wanted to read it for awhile.

11. Blue Zones Solution

12. Nature Fix

Edited by soror
  • Like 7

Agatha Christie's were my first "grown-up" mysteries.  I discovered them when I was twelve, and read and reread every one I could get my hands on, but I haven't picked one up in 25 years.  Fun to read them again.

They were my fist adult mysteries too.  My father liked mysteries and recommended them to me, I believe.  I was 11.  

I took a break for a bit but currently reading three books.  First one is John le Carre's first book "Call for the Dead", that is the one I really want to be reading.  Next is a book I think I got for free on kindle, which is a mystery that is food related for my mystery book club- Bed, Breakfast and Bones: A Ravenwood Cove Cosy Mystery- and it;s okay so far but not truely engaging- that is one that needs to be read by Tuesday evening.  Then there is the book "In the Shadow of Alabama" - for another book club.  Can I just say I hate reading this book though now that it is getting into history in WWII, it is a bit better.  Poorly edited is just the start of the problems.  The author says that it is a novel based on her life and her father's.  Her father was a Brooklyn Jewish  native (the Jewish part is important) who got sent to Gunther AFB here in Alabama during WWII and became a first sergeant for an all black platoon.   The history, as I said, is interesting,   It really is a trial reading this and it is the longest book too that I have to or want to read now.  310 pages.  

I will have to figure out later which counties in England my Le Carre books were in.  But I will continue to do those county lists too.

• Like 8

My kids loved all the Green Knowe books!  (Well, maybe almost all, could have been a clunker or two in that series.)  We did them as read-alouds, long ago.  We have a green rabbit figurine in our living room, not sure where we bought it but the purchase was inspired by the first book.  Or one of the books. 

I've no desire to try to reread them on my own.  Even though I haven't made it to Huntingdonshire yet!

• Like 6

I haven't heard of this series before. It sounds like something I'd like!

I think you probably would. They're police procedurals. The first one is Death at La Fenice. My library has them in both ebook and print versions.

Wales sounds beautiful!!

I didn't spend much time in Wales during my UK visit back in the 80s but we drove through and stayed at a B&B (before catching the ferry to Ireland). I still think about it 30 years later and wish I had been able to spend more time there. It was breathtakingly beautiful.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 7

Am I on the rebel bus if I haven't been keeping track of counties? Or just the lazy bus? :) 

I read Whose Body? by Dorothy Sayers this week. The spelling used to make Wimsey read like he would sound was a bit distracting to me. But, overall I enjoyed it. (Still like Christie better...but I kind of expected I would.)

Then I don't know why, but I got started on Pearl Buck's The Good Earth and devoured it in one day. I was so....incensed by the treatment of O-lan. I'm glad I read it. But, it was seriously depressing to me. I'm in the middle of Sons, now. (For some reason, I was sure that I had snagged a kindle copy of the trilogy when it was on sale in the summer to put on my TBR list. I was just sure I had. But I couldn't find any record of it when I went back to check. Then, I started looking at the kindle preview, which as a form factor for sustained reading is almost always annoying to me. But, the sample was so long that I got sucked into the story. So, I found it in digital format at our library's website and then got Sons from Amazon because it was strangely discounted at the time. But, I think I'm going to run into a problem when it's time for A House Divided because our library doesn't have it and the kindle version is more than I usually pay for books I haven't already read and know I want to read again. Sigh...)

Also, I've been on the waiting list for the digital copy of Born a Crime and just today thought to check if our bigger county library has a physical copy. So...that is probably my next read. :)

Kidlit is possibly my favorite genre. I'm co-teaching a lit class for mostly jr. high kids. We're finishing up One Crazy Summer and while the rest of the group will do Wrinkle in Time to wrap up the year, I get to work through Out of the Silent Planet with a few of the older kids in the group. I think it has the potential to jump start some really interesting conversations. So, I need to re-read and annotate that one in the not-too-distant future. Currently, I'm reading Wonder to my own crew at home. 

And, last...the link about Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles that Kareni posted upthread just made me smile. I big puffy heart love Taran's story. Thanks, Kareni! (You're an amazing article-finder! :) )

• Like 7

And, last...the link about Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles that Kareni posted upthread just made me smile. I big puffy heart love Taran's story. Thanks, Kareni! (You're an amazing article-finder! :) )

Thank you kindly, SEGway!  The Prydain Chronicles were also a hit in my house when my daughter was younger.

A one day only currently free classic:  Cease Firing by Mary Johnston

"A Confederate artilleryman from Virginia, Richard Cleave was in Chancellorsville when Stonewall Jackson lost an arm—and eventually his life—to a bullet fired by one of his own men. Now, Cleave is on hand for the long and devastating siege of Vicksburg, a major turning point in the war. When Lee loses his confrontation with Grant at Gettysburg and the Army of Northern Virginia begins its tortuous retreat south, all appears lost for the Confederacy. But there is still fighting and dying in store for the men on the road to Appomattox: The bloody fields of Chickamauga, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania await Cleave and his compatriots in gray.

Based in part on actual Civil War memoirs and transcripts, including those of the author’s illustrious cousin, Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston, Cease Firing endures as one of the most realistic and moving novels ever written about the War Between the States."

Some other currently free books for Kindle readers ~

The Transmigrant  by Kristi Saare Duarte

"The author's knowledge of the period is remarkably astute, and she artfully concocts a less self-possessed Jesus, still grasping for a sense of his life's mission. She also delves into his youthful worldly longings, and the romantic experiences he has before his ministry, realistically fleshing out the possible details of his mortal life. Duarte masterly traces the evolution of Jesus' thought, and the grand synthesis of religious traditions it culminates in. captivating and powerfully related account of Jesus' early years." Kirkus Reviews

inspirational historical romance:

A Distant Melody  by Sarah Sundin

young adult fantasy:

The Lodestone  by J. Philip Horne

historical romance:  
Catching Captain Nash  by Anna Campbell

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I think I toted half the library home with me today. Among the harvest is The Portable MFA in Creative Writing. I'm kind of between major projects right now while I wallow in the query trenches with the first novel of an anticipated trilogy. I'm pot-boiling with short stories, working out the first draft of the sequel to the first novel, but I figured some focused exercises in writing would be interesting. So far I'm enjoying it.

• Like 5

Finished the audio book Evans Above by Rhys Bowen and am counting it for Brig Trip as Evan travels down (?) into Manchester.

Not a favourite book for me, just okay.

Others who like to know content extras that are hard to skip on audio: there is one f bomb, some sexual innuendo.

Eta: Oh. and the barmaid is an aggressive vamp. Wondering where the author is going to take that.

Edited by Tuesdays Child
  • Like 4