Menu

Cosmology

Rush

Dear all,

Please share your resources (books, youtube channels, documentaries, and etc) with me.

My kid is so fascinated and curious about this topic and wants to know everything about it.

So far we didn't have anything serious, just a few documentaries and enormous amount of library books.

Thanks  :001_smile:

• Like 1

You did not specify the age and what you've already read / watched... so i'll just offer a couple of random suggestions:

Books about George by Lucy and Stephen Hawking (like "George's Secret Key to the Universe" and the others from the series).

Documentaries by Brian Cox (e.g. "Wonders of the Universe", "Wonders of the Solar System")

"A Black Hole is Not a Hole" by Carolyn DeCristofano.

Edited by Ingeborg
  • Like 1

Sacha is enrolled in this Outschool course, which is starting soon. It might be of interest to your boys. He is doing it asynchronously, as the time doesn't work for us.

https://outschool.com/classes/space-science-astrophysics-to-exobiology-y3b01R2b?sectionUid=31e64c37-ba16-4e48-8b3c-4e423f7c0d38&ruid=231fcfaf-71a2-4f9d-a4ae-b949d51f31dc&signup=true&utm_campaign=share_activity_link

• 2 weeks later...

You did not specify the age and what you've already read / watched... so i'll just offer a couple of random suggestions:

Books about George by Lucy and Stephen Hawking (like "George's Secret Key to the Universe" and the others from the series).

Documentaries by Brian Cox (e.g. "Wonders of the Universe", "Wonders of the Solar System")

"A Black Hole is Not a Hole" by Carolyn De

He is going to be 10 next July. 

He read all books of Hawkings and loved them.

The first the minutes by Steven Weinberg

Thanks. I will order this one

Sacha is enrolled in this Outschool course, which is starting soon. It might be of interest to your boys. He is doing it asynchronously, as the time doesn't work for us.

https://outschool.com/classes/space-science-astrophysics-to-exobiology-y3b01R2b?sectionUid=31e64c37-ba16-4e48-8b3c-4e423f7c0d38&ruid=231fcfaf-71a2-4f9d-a4ae-b949d51f31dc&signup=true&utm_campaign=share_activity_link

oh, thank you for this one. I'll check if ds can take this course during next summer break :)

"A Black Hole is Not a Hole" by Carolyn DeCristofano.

You might check out The Great Courses Plus and see if you think any of the lecture series there will work and then get a subscription. I cancelled my subscription for a bit as it wasn't being watched right now so I can't check, but they did have a series by Neil deGrasse Tyson that was good. I seem to remember a couple of others on Cosmology at one point, but I'm not sure if they were on GCP or if they were in a GC catalogue. 

Thanks. DS had already asked to pay him an year subscription of The Great Courses Plus and I've put it in the list. Maybe we will pay it for them as an Easter present :)