Menu

Options for physical classes for HS?

seriously not sure what to do here.

DD14 will be a freshman next year.  She's asking to go to public HS.  One reason is she believes school has become a source of too much conflict between her and us.  IMO, the largest source of that conflict is that she's not getting her work done and what she is doing often lacks effort, but there is conflict.  I expect there would be if she was going to public school as well, we'd just be less informed.

- She wants to accountable to someone else.  Maybe that would help.

- She's currently pretty against online classes.  Partially that's because her big brother is taking several, and while he loves them and is doing awesome, he's also a stress-ball about it (anxiety). She's also against the online classes because she's really struggling to learn by watching a video of someone lecture and ALSO struggling to learn by just reading independently.

- She wants an 'in classroom' setting

- She's concerned that she's not getting a 'well rounded enough' education.  There's some truth to that lately.  That's partially because we keep reducing the workload hoping to find the point where she'll meet expectations, and partially because the past year has been just such a struggle (mental health issues) that there were bigger fish to fry.

We're currently pretty against sending her to public school.  She'd have to give up all but probably 1 of the activities she does and loves, and maybe even all of them to fit in therapy.  I'm quite concerned she's not currently able to handle the social situation, emotionally.  It'd be a HUGE change to the family daily schedule as well as the calendar impact...we currently travel quite a bit, spend summers at a lake house, etc.

So we're looking for alternatives.

If I found just the right online class, maybe that'd be appealing?  There's a JC down the street...how early is too early to start a class there?  Any good SF Bay Area in-a-classroom class options for home schooled highschoolers??

Really not sure what to do about this and feeling pretty distressed.  This is feeling like an existential crisis...both kids have been HS'd since K.

Edited by AEC

We are thinking of going to Foothill community college for 9th grade for DS13 for electives. PM me if you are near my area and maybe we can exchange ideas.

ETA:

SIL in Los Altos also has secular B&M classes for homeschoolers which fulfil UC a-g requirements.

Stanford OHS deadline may have passed for signing up for single courses for 2018/19.

Edited by Arcadia

We are thinking of going to Foothill community college for 9th grade for DS13 for electives. My kids are also going to Legend for summer class for their social needs but not for rigor. DS13 is currently at a hackathon from 7:30am until 11:30pm at Palo Alto because of social needs. PM me if you are near my area and maybe we can exchange ideas.

ETA:

SIL in Los Altos also has secular B&M classes for homeschoolers which fulfil UC a-g requirements.

Stanford OHS deadline may have passed for signing up for single courses for 2018/19.

Around mid March for Stanford as we're debating whether to apply by next month. We have our SSAT score and thinking about asking for recommendation letters. Just looking at the application process I'm thinking of not bothering but DD wants to try. Edited by crazyforlatin