Menu

He murdered his girlfriend after using LSD

Laurie

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/ex-uw-student-sentenced-to-18-years-for-strangling-girlfriend-in-u-district-apartment/

When I first heard about this crime I was surprised that LSD is still around.  I thought it was an old drug that Timothy Leary and the hippies used.

I was shocked when I read that the defense attorney's name is Tim Leary!  

I was shocked when I read that the prosecutor took the defendant's drug use into account when agreeing to a reduced charge despite evidence of premeditation.  Not sure I could agree with that decision.  Eighteen years isn't very long for such a brutal murder.

But yeah, I also am surprised that LSD is still around.

• Like 2

Why?

Because I could not tell you the last time I've heard a news story about LSD; maybe never.  Cocaine, meth, heroin, prescription drugs, sure.  Perhaps it's making a comeback.  In fact, when I google "LSD in Atlanta," news stories that pop up say exactly that, so clearly, I am not the only one who thought it had died out.

• Like 2

I was shocked when I read that the prosecutor took the defendant's drug use into account when agreeing to a reduced charge despite evidence of premeditation. Not sure I could agree with that decision. Eighteen years isn't very long for such a brutal murder.

But yeah, I also am surprised that LSD is still around.

Here drug use is always used by defendants as a way to reduce sentences. Always. And it works.

I think you don't hear about LSD because it's usually not a drug that leads to violence/issues.  

It is actually being studied (along with shrooms) as an effective treatment for depression.  Some really interesting studies were done on cancer patients who were terminal.

Here are some recent stories: https://www.npr.org/tags/148614071/lsd

• Like 5

Because I could not tell you the last time I've heard a news story about LSD; maybe never.  Cocaine, meth, heroin, prescription drugs, sure.  Perhaps it's making a comeback.  In fact, when I google "LSD in Atlanta," news stories that pop up say exactly that, so clearly, I am not the only one who thought it had died out.

I suspect that most of the time, it's just not newsworthy.

ETA: I just read umsami's post--what she said.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

Yes, it gave way to heroin and prescription pain killers when psuedoephedrine was put behind the counter in the U.S. Its back, cheaper and purer. Like heroin, its now $5 a hit.

Keep in mind heroin is a downer, meth is an upper.

According to the DEA’s most recent National Drug Threat Assessment, meth continues to be readily available throughout the U.S. and is the primary drug threat in some areas, particularly the Midwest and West. It didn’t ever go away where I live. https://www.dea.gov/docs/DIR-040-17_2017-NDTA.pdf Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 5

I think you don't hear about LSD because it's usually not a drug that leads to violence/issues.  

It is actually being studied (along with shrooms) as an effective treatment for depression.  Some really interesting studies were done on cancer patients who were terminal.

Here are some recent stories: https://www.npr.org/tags/148614071/lsd

I tried reading some of the stories, but I can't even try to see any goodness in LSD.  I keep thinking about the dead girl who according to her father was under 5ft. tall...how could she fight off the boyfriend when he's on a "bad trip" and is using taekwondo to attack her.   

It's scary to think about how things can go terribly wrong when any of these mind-altering substances are being used.  And who can predict what another person's reaction is going to be when they're high/drunk?   .