Menu

Amazon - what should I do?

JIN MOUSA

Today's Amazon delivery was marked in my account as having been handed directly to a resident, but it wasn't; it was left on the front porch. 

I'm obviously not worried about this package, but I'm concerned that if a package gets stolen off my porch, Amazon can basically say it's my fault, since their system says it was handed directly to a resident. We haven't had a package stolen before, and as far as I know, it's not a major issue in my area. I just think that inaccurate delivery information is a problem waiting to happen. 

So should (or can) I do anything? Am I being crazy, borrowing trouble from something that hasn't even happened? Has anyone else had this happen?

• Like 2

I wonder if the delivery driver just hit the wrong button on that touch screen? If you get quite a bit of deliveries, I’d probably wait and see what the next delivery shows as.

Yes, maybe they chose the wrong option.

A recent order delivered by an Amazon contracted delivery driver to my home shows: 

"Your package was left in the mail room. The delivery was received by (my name)."

It was actually left in our home mailbox (regular ol' metal mailbox out by the street) and I was away for the day when it was delivered.  Pretty sure they aren't supposed to leave non-postal packages in the mailbox...

(edited, pesky preposition)

Edited by TrixieB
  • Like 2

If it has tracking, contact the post office. I recently had a package marked as attempted delivery. I knew it wasn't because everyone was home all day. Apparently, the PO person (not the delivery driver) marked it as attempted because it was supposed to be delivered that day according to Amazon. It was not. The driver brought it the next day, great guy, he confirmed that no one had attempted to deliver, apologized. Apparently Amazon gets on the post office if packages don't get delivered on the correct day, so some will just mark it delivered without it really being so. 

• Like 1

Interesting...I just checked an order that came today and it was marked as handed to a resident, but it wasn't. The driver left it on the front porch. Now, he did ring the doorbell and as he walked away, I opened the door and thanked him as he walked down my driveway. I wonder if that's why he chose the "handed to a resident" option??

• Like 3

I got a creepy vibe the other day, when my Amazon account showed a photo of a package on my porch floor. Too invasive, imo. There was a button to opt out of photos, and I clicked it.

Just a another way to view that- that photo was extremely helpful in me showing that they did not deliver to my house.

To whoever got my package, you have a beautiful door.

To the OP- I have noticed they do this often.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 4

Let Amazon know. We have has quite a few issues with their hired delivery people lately. Yesterday I chased barefoot after one getting into their car because they left someone else's package on my porch and it wasn't even in the right ballpark. He then tells me he called someone saying he didn't think this was right but his device was showing it was. The person he spoke to said "just put it on the porch anyway" can you believe that? I called to let them know this was advice he was getting even though the address in no way matched ours.

• Like 1

If your porch is unsafe, then you should contact Amazon and let them know.  Otherwise, maybe they define a porch as being almost the same as hand delivering it to the resident?  

We tell everyone to leave packages on our porch if we're not home.  But, we know it's safe and would rather it be left there than not left at all.

• Like 2

Today's Amazon delivery was marked in my account as having been handed directly to a resident, but it wasn't; it was left on the front porch. 

I'm obviously not worried about this package, but I'm concerned that if a package gets stolen off my porch, Amazon can basically say it's my fault, since their system says it was handed directly to a resident. We haven't had a package stolen before, and as far as I know, it's not a major issue in my area. I just think that inaccurate delivery information is a problem waiting to happen. 

So should (or can) I do anything? Am I being crazy, borrowing trouble from something that hasn't even happened? Has anyone else had this happen?

In my experience with Amazon customer service, this won't happen. No matter what their system says.

I've had a few issues with their tracking/delivery info. being off, but not with them disbelieving my claims to customer service.

• Like 2

Interesting...I just checked an order that came today and it was marked as handed to a resident, but it wasn't. The driver left it on the front porch. Now, he did ring the doorbell and as he walked away, I opened the door and thanked him as he walked down my driveway. I wonder if that's why he chose the "handed to a resident" option??

He probably had no option to click (resident opened door and thanked me so I have visual confirmation they saw the delivered package"

• Like 1

Let Amazon know. We have has quite a few issues with their hired delivery people lately. Yesterday I chased barefoot after one getting into their car because they left someone else's package on my porch and it wasn't even in the right ballpark. He then tells me he called someone saying he didn't think this was right but his device was showing it was. The person he spoke to said "just put it on the porch anyway" can you believe that? I called to let them know this was advice he was getting even though the address in no way matched ours.

I walked down to the FedEx truck one day as I was expecting something - and stopped the person from bringing two large boxes, one a stroller (original packaging) to my porch. Address was clearly marked 123 Walnut Ave...which is around the corner a few houses down from us. My address is 567 NotWalnut. The dudes little gps thingie had told him to deliver it here. I corrected him. His face went white - I think he was realizing he may have been misdelivering a lot of items that day! Moral is, check street signs and house numbers, don't just trust the technology. Use your own senses, too. :-)

Oh, and when he dug around he did find my package in his truck.

Years ago I had a postal truck pull up, and I was on the porch and took delivering of an Amazon box right into my hand. It felt light - when opened lo and behold it was empty. No iPod. Box had looked intact - then I saw the BOTTOM had been sliced open and re-taped shut. Someone in the postal service had sliced it and re-taped it. Amazon was good as gold and overnight UPSed me a replacement....and I got to complain to postal service, too. But it could have happened anywhere along the route.

I always let Amazon know if I get doubles of an item, or if a "lost" box shows up after an item is replaced, and am glad to return items like this. I want to to know I am honest and BELIEVE me if I ever have another missing expensive item to report again.

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 1

I got a creepy vibe the other day, when my Amazon account showed a photo of a package on my porch floor. Too invasive, imo. There was a button to opt out of photos, and I clicked it.

I received a package from Target yesterday from UPS. I happened to be right by the door when he delivered, and I'm pretty certain I heard him snap a pic of the packages sitting there. I was surprised but wasn't creeped out. I actually thought it was a good idea as we have had packages disappear in our neighborhood recently. 

I would leave this alone in a good neighborhood. The fix would be to MAKE them hand it to you in the future Do you WANT that? It means they leave with your package if you’re not home. I like that stuff gets left at my front door if I don’t answer. I do not want to wait another day or slow down the process. Enforcing this policy would greatly hum up the works.

• Like 1

Yes, maybe they chose the wrong option.

A recent order delivered by an Amazon contracted delivery driver to my home shows:

"Your package was left in the mail room. The delivery was received by (my name)."

It was actually left in our home mailbox (regular ol' metal mailbox out by the street) and I was away for the day when it was delivered. Pretty sure they aren't supposed to leave non-postal packages in the mailbox...

(edited, pesky preposition)

The delivery person may have accidentally pressed a wrong button, but this should still be reported to Amazon. It can be done in a friendly way. I believe it's a good idea to mention such things - who knows, maybe a lot of other people are experiencing similar issues with certain delivery drivers.

Yes. The FedEx fella and I do not feel cozy towards one another. He hates my dog. I get it. He is almost always put away. For some reason I CANNOT figure out I never get tracking info from FedEx. I LOVE my UPS guys, but I get tracking info from UPS, I make sure dog is put away, and on the off chance he’s not, we always walk out to the truck. Always.

So, three deliveries ago he put my package at the base of my mailbox (3/4 of an acre of lawn between my house and mailbox, in the country, facing the ROAD side because he’s passive aggressive) then two deliveries ago he delivered a refurbished laptop next to my garbage at the curb. (No way this wasn’t intentional.) Obviously I called and complained. Tracking said it was delivered to my front porch by the front door.

I guess I don’t have to worry about deliveries because last week he called me and had me meet him in town.... no kidding. I’d complain.

Yes. The FedEx fella and I do not feel cozy towards one another. He hates my dog. I get it. He is almost always put away. For some reason I CANNOT figure out I never get tracking info from FedEx. I LOVE my UPS guys, but I get tracking info from UPS, I make sure dog is put away, and on the off chance he’s not, we always walk out to the truck. Always.

So, three deliveries ago he put my package at the base of my mailbox (3/4 of an acre of lawn between my house and mailbox, in the country, facing the ROAD side because he’s passive aggressive) then two deliveries ago he delivered a refurbished laptop next to my garbage at the curb. (No way this wasn’t intentional.) Obviously I called and complained. Tracking said it was delivered to my front porch by the front door.

I guess I don’t have to worry about deliveries because last week he called me and had me meet him in town.... no kidding. I’d complain.

So that is where our old fedex guy went. He couldn’t understand why I pissed once when he left my package at the end of my walkway at the street. Or when he threw packages from the street to my door.

• Like 1

I walked down to the FedEx truck one day as I was expecting something - and stopped the person from bringing two large boxes, one a stroller (original packaging) to my porch. Address was clearly marked 123 Walnut Ave...which is around the corner a few houses down from us. My address is 567 NotWalnut. The dudes little gps thingie had told him to deliver it here. I corrected him. His face went white - I think he was realizing he may have been misdelivering a lot of items that day! Moral is, check street signs and house numbers, don't just trust the technology. Use your own senses, too. :-)

Oh, and when he dug around he did find my package in his truck.

I am a wierd homeschooler in that I don't have lots of deliveries... but I must say I hope the gps system is better with our post office than with our Taxi cabs. I use an app, so I can actually see where the taxi is as they drive to us. The gps many drivers us show us around the corner on a different street. I have waved at the taxi as they drive by, trying to flag them. I have talked to some on the phone. Most drivers are ok, but some have a hard time believing that 123 mystreet is not located at 3456 notmystreet.

A while ago, I had a package from an Amazon driver left on my porch but he didn’t ring the doorbell, he just put the package down. I was home, so I went out and got it. I checked the tracking info and he had updated it and posted a picture of the box on the porch. However, it wasn’t my porch in the picture!!!!!!! I did send a message to amazon letting them know that I got the package, but the picture was wrong. I never got a response, so I don’t know if it helped. I just wanted to let them know so they could do something if they wanted. I’m sure the driver mixed up the pics he took or hit the wrong button.

I have had this happen.  But in our case, we never received the item at all.  

I contacted Amazon a week later (I continued looking for it.)  When I got a hold  of an Amazon customer service rep he asked, "WHy did you wait so long to contact us?"

Um, WHAT?  Who cares how long it takes me.

I just responded with, "Because I was checking with neighbors to see if they received it.  You're welcome."  (ok, the You're welcome was in my head, but ARGH!!!!!!)