Menu

PSA: hearing protection at Monster Jam

Beaniemom

If you go to Monster Jam, consider doubling up on hearing protection. Ds is deaf (severe/profound hearing loss). He can hear sounds around the volume of a jet engine. Today dh took him to Monster Jam. They all had hearing protection but ds took his off to take his hearing devices off. He could not only hear the trucks but could hear that the announcer was talking! I’m glad I got to stay home with sick dd.

• Like 3

We always take/wear the orange foam ones that go inside the ear, and the over-the-ear  ones that are made for wearing at gun ranges and such. You can still hear through them, but it brings it down to a (hopefully non damaging) moderate level. 

Well, and I still had to take our youngest out into the lobby area the time we took him; he has sensory processing disorder (or whatever it may or may not be called these days) and is overly sensitive to loud sounds, and even with all the ear protection it was too much for him as a preschooler. We haven't taken him back because of that, even though now he's almost 13. 

We also carry extra of the orange ones to hand out to folks around us who don't think to bring them, or don't have enough for their kids. It astounds me that we always run into folks there with kids w/o any ear protection at all, but I guess on the first time you go, you just really don't realize how very loud  "LOUD" can get. 

Yeah the orange foam ear plugs are usually around 30 db. Your headphones are probably around 19-27 db, depending on the brand. So really, if that event was 120 db, you would be dropping it maybe 50-60 if you're lucky. 60 db is a conversation. 

That's pretty astonishing that the op's HOH dc could hear the speaker and what was going on, wow! Was he like cool, let's do this again? LOL My ds has autism, so an event like that would have been painful. I just bought him slim Macks earplugs to take on a trip. He uses noise canceling headphones on a plane and that's enough for him. Can't imagine what it would have taken to keep him comfortable in an event like that, mercy. We have tractor pulls at the fair here, but we don't take him very often. That's just intermittent, not constant. Can't imagine.