Menu

How to use Sequential Spelling

bethanyjoy

I have level 1 of this program, but I haven't been able to implement it well. I hear many people saying they have the child spell the word, correct it if it's wrong, and then move on to the next word. However, the teacher's directions at the beginning of the book talks about the teacher writing parts of the word in different colors to help the child see the patterns. Do you all do this? How do I know which parts to make different colors? It seems like that would take a really long time to do.

SS put out the first 8 lessons of each level in youtube videos. You can see how they did it.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNaYAqfa7_dKfT4txbt57FA

SS didn't work well for us, unfortunately.  My son needed more scaffolding than it offered.  If Spelling You See had been out, we would have switched to that.  Instead we went straight into working with a vocabulary program that hammered home the different parts of words.

Edited by HomeAgain

I think I did the colored part of the pattern for a little while in level one. But then I just got to where I call out the word, they attempt it, correct if wrong, do next word.

Sometimes I verbally point out the pattern to them or ask them to tell me what the pattern is so that they notice it. Sometimes I also point out when a word is 'breaking' the pattern.

Disclaimer- I pretty much tweak everything. Professional tweaker here, lol..So I can't even remember what the directions said on this program but we have used it successfully in this way for several years. My oldest is on level 5 and struggled with spelling for a long time and we went through many failed attempts with other spelling programs.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming

I think I did the colored part of the pattern for a little while in level one. But then I just got to where I call out the word, they attempt it, correct if wrong, do next word.

Sometimes I verbally point out the pattern to them or ask them to tell me what the pattern is so that they notice it. Sometimes I also point out when a word is 'breaking' the pattern.

Disclaimer- I pretty much tweak everything. Professional tweaker here, lol..So I can't even remember what the directions said on this program but we have used it successfully in this way for several years. My oldest is on level 5 and struggled with spelling for a long time and we went through many failed attempts with other spelling programs.

Thank you that helps a lot. I just saw that there was a Sequential Spelling for Adults. It's discontinued now, but I think I can find a copy. It's supposed to cover all seven levels in two years by leaving out some of the repetition. Do you think I should use that for a 6th grader who doesn't spell very well? I would like to be finished with spelling before high school, so there is no way to finish all seven levels by then. Thanks!

• Like 1

SS put out the first 8 lessons of each level in youtube videos. You can see how they did it.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNaYAqfa7_dKfT4txbt57FA

SS didn't work well for us, unfortunately.  My son needed more scaffolding than it offered.  If Spelling You See had been out, we would have switched to that.  Instead we went straight into working with a vocabulary program that hammered home the different parts of words.

Thank you! I'll check out those videos. We tried Spelling U See, but the amount of writing was not a good fit for my daughter. I liked the program, though.

If you want to use colors because you see it help your child, an easier method is printing a spelling list and then using a highlighter. It’s helpful to one of my kids.

Edit: as for what to highlight — either a pattern or a tricky part of the word.

Edited by Lecka

You can accelerate the program. They recommend having at least 4 hours between the spelling lessons. A lesson takes 5-10 minutes or less once you are in the groove. There are about 180 lessons in each level. So 7 levels is about 1260 lessons. If you do them twice a day everyday including weekends, it would take around 630 days, or a little less than 2 years to finish.

We have not been that motivated here. We have doubled up a few times during the school year but we like to put work away on weekends. If you just do spelling on the standard 180 days of a traditional school year and did lessons twice a day it would take 3 and a half years or so to finish all the levels. I have not looked at the adult remediation version, so this is just for the standard seven level program.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming

http://www.avko.org/uploads/1/0/1/3/101309174/get-most-out-of-membership.pdf

Straight from the publisher.

We don't use it correctly, but we do the immediate correction. My kids tend to latch onto patterns and see the patterns themselves, so we just read the lists, and the kids type or say them out loud (we love the patterns for forming good motor patterns with typing). We correct immediately. 

• 2 weeks later...