Menu

Continuing Rod and Staff into 9th grade?

Hi. This is my first post, but I have been lurking around here for years.  :D

I have a rising 9th grader who has been homeschooled from the beginning. We have used Rod & Staff English from the start and she is finishing up book 8 now. She is also in her 3rd year of Expository Writing at the WTMA and will be moving into Rhetoric 1 in the fall. She also wants to take a creative writing class as an elective. I had planned to continue on with R&S 9/10, but as I'm planning out her schedule for next year, and figuring out the credits, I'm wondering if the R&S might be a little overkill and wondering if it's time to drop it. She is (and has always been) very strong in grammar. We stopped doing the writing assignments last year, since she was getting her writing via WTMA.  Here is what I have planned for her. I would love some feedback as high school is new territory for me. Thanks!

Geometry

World History 

Biology

German II (WTMA)
Rhetoric I (WTMA)

Creative Writing (WTMA)

R&S English 9/10

Edited by Pickleball

Agree with you that it's overkill, based on your dd's work and background. I looked at 9/10 when my oldest hit high school age, after doing books 3 through 8. She also had a strong feel for grammar, and I decided not to continue. She's graduating this year, and I don't regret it a bit. It makes time for other pursuits.

Erica in OR

• Like 1

Agreement on overkill.

We also used R&S for grammar through 8th grade for the 2 youngest DC. I purchased but did not use the 9/10 R&S. My middle DC made a perfect score on the English portion of the ACT and my youngest DC scored 1 less than perfect on the same test. I didn't use R&S with my oldest DC and he did a different grammar program in 9th and 10th grade.  His ACT English scores were good but not as impressive as the kids who had used R&S. 

• Like 2

We were a year behind in R&S English, so my odd did yr 8 for 9th grade alongside WWS. Then we moved into 9/10 in 10th grade and the WTM rhetoric suggestions for writing. We have continued w/the 9/10. She mostly just reads it. It has good supplementation on writing, editing, poetry, etc. I do not make her do the papers and assignments from it. She does the editing pages in the workbook when there is one. She reads this at a rate of 1-2 lessons a week. We will not even finish both books by the end of 12th grade at this rate, but they are too good to drop altogether. 

• Like 2