Menu

WWYD? Damage by movers to wood floors

prairiewindmomma

We recently relocated with a corporate sponsored move.  A relocation company was hired to coordinate the move, and they hired a national chain to move us.

It's been a nightmare.  Lost boxes, damaged antiques, and damage to our house.  

On one part of the claim, we are asked to list the monetary amount we seek as a result of the damages.  Part of the damage was to our hardwood floors. The movers set down dish packs (100# + boxes) on a gravel extension to our driveway. Rocks became embedded in the boxes. These boxes were then scooted around on our floors, leaving deep gouges.

So, how do I come up with a monetary amount? Get a variety of bids for repair? Is it possible to even fill these gouges or are we looking at complete refinishing?

Ideas? This is totally unchartered water for us, and I'm a bit flummoxed that we are all on our own on this (not much support from the relo company who hired them). There's got to be a standard procedure, but I don't know it.

Call a few flooring companies and ask for an estimate. Get two-three estimates. They should all be free ( don’t pay for the estimate). Then send a copy of those estimates in with the forms. I personally would put the amount in the middle of those estimates. That is what we used to do back when I worked when the dinosaurs roamed.

• Like 7

Well, chances are they pay less than pennies to the dollar on damage.  That's usually spelled out in the fine print. 

Yes, I'm aware.  Damage to the home is not in the fine print (like the stuff is).  I wish that they could just repair the damage, but there's no financial incentive for them to do so.  I do have the relo company on my side advocating that the moving company needs to make this right, so I'm not totally without hope in terms of leverage.  

• Like 1

get a variety of bids for repair.   they will decide if filling the gouges is possible - or if you will need a new floor, or if new pieces of wood can be woven in to replace the damaged boards and then refinish the floor to match.   that's serious damage.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this with the mover.

We've been moved several times, and I've never heard of anything that terrible, and we've had companies fired from working for DH's company before.  If this moving company is a national chain, DH suggests getting an attorney to write a letter.  Nothing like a bit of legal letterhead (less than $500) to get damages paid in full.  Depending on the type of flooring and area of damage, you could be looking at tens of thousands of dollars.

• Like 2

We've been moved several times, and I've never heard of anything that terrible, and we've had companies fired from working for DH's company before. If this moving company is a national chain, DH suggests getting an attorney to write a letter. Nothing like a bit of legal letterhead (less than $500) to get damages paid in full. Depending on the type of flooring and area of damage, you could be looking at tens of thousands of dollars.

Good suggestion! It sends a signal that you will fight.