Menu

Hive Marketplace

KungFuPanda

Well, I did it.  I bought a sous vide.  I thought I was over the influence of hive marketing after I got the vitamix, but now I have a couple steaks just hanging out waiting for DH's meeting to be over so I can sear and serve.  In related news, there are some GREAT sales on steaks after Valentine's Day.  Who cares about discount roses or chocolate after learning this???

Yea, so BAD influence.  ALL of you.  I'll let you know how they turn out!  :drool5:

• Like 2

That's my favorite. I have it and the Joule and I wish I had bought another Anova instead. 

If the steak deal is super good, buy them and freeze them. I sous vide them all the time straight from frozen. Just season them after before you sear them and I swear they taste even better than fresh cooked. I think the freezing makes them more tender or something. I've started buying them frozen by the box. 

I live in suburban Maryland.  I have never seen steak sold by the box.   :lol: I do think I will get some meals bagged up and ready to drop in. I think I'd better go back tonight and get more on-sale steaks and more freezer bags.  

That's my favorite. I have it and the Joule and I wish I had bought another Anova instead. 

If the steak deal is super good, buy them and freeze them. I sous vide them all the time straight from frozen. Just season them after before you sear them and I swear they taste even better than fresh cooked. I think the freezing makes them more tender or something. I've started buying them frozen by the box. 

Ditto this a million times.  I thought DH was nuts to buy the sous vide but I love it.  I use it all the time and freezing the steak (or pork chops, which is the other item we use the sous vide for frequently) with a bit of seasoning seems to make it even better than just cooking it from fresh.

We had to experiment a few times to get the steak cooked exactly how we like it but now that we've figured out the temperature to set the sous vide cooker our  steak is perfect every time.

My dh loves using the souls vide. It drives me crazy because it takes up so much counter space when it is in use, and it’s loud. Loud, I tell you. He’s going to make brisket next week. It’s yummy, but that thing is going to be on the counter all.day.long.

PS- the reason I bought two is to be able to do veggies in one at a higher temp while cooking the meat in the other. That's why I bought the Joule, but it irritates me to no end to have to use my phone to set it to cook something. I mean if I CHOOSE to use an app on my phone, great. But sometimes you just want to plug the damn thing in and set the temp and if the bluetooth or wireless gets temperamental the Joule is useless. Therefore I say long live the Anova.

This is why I chose the Anova. I wanted to be able to cook even if my phone died.

My dh loves using the souls vide. It drives me crazy because it takes up so much counter space when it is in use, and it’s loud. Loud, I tell you. He’s going to make brisket next week. It’s yummy, but that thing is going to be on the counter all.day.long.

Set up a table in the garage. That's what I do when I use the big toaster oven for a turkey or other big-batch stuff.

The noise didn’t register to me, but I only ran it for two hours. I thought it sounded a bit like an aquarium. 🤣

Pork chops are really good too! I will never go back to cooking them another way.

If you ever are around the house with nothing else to do, try it with bacon. You need to cook it about 18 hours, so you have to be around to add water back into the pot. But it was the best bacon ever. We did 18 hours and then crisped it in the pan and it basically was like butter bacon that melted in your mouth. I think next time I will crisp it in the over because it did spatter more grease than normal and made a mess, but it was totally worth it.

Here's the receipe: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-the-world-s-best-bacon-cooks-allllll-night-long

I precook bacon so I have it on hand and just have to crisp it quickly in the pan. I’m definitely going to read this. I just bought 3 lbs at Costco.

Edited by KungFuPanda

Oh my gosh! I was telling my DH about this thread, and guess what my guy did? He surprised me with one! That sneaky guy - he ordered it same day delivery and addressed it to me. I told him I didn't order anything, so it must be some mistake on Amazon's part. LOL! He got me the Anova. I'll report back in after I give it a try!

Oh my gosh! I was telling my DH about this thread, and guess what my guy did? He surprised me with one! That sneaky guy - he ordered it same day delivery and addressed it to me. I told him I didn't order anything, so it must be some mistake on Amazon's part. LOL! He got me the Anova. I'll report back in after I give it a try!

Steak! Start with steak. I calculate that the thing pays for itself by the time you make about 8 steak dinners.

• Like 1

I did it again! Experiment #2 was strip steak. It was no ribeye, but it was still delicious and perfectly cooked. Dh was super happy. 6 more dinners until it pays for itself. I think I’ll try salmon next or a seafood pasta . . . maybe pork chops. I bought some bogo London broil, but we need a break from beef.

• Like 1