Menu

buffalo sauce vs. sriracha sauce question

SparklyUnicorn

Do these taste similar at all?  I have a bottle of buffalo sauce.  A recipe calls for sriracha (to make a sort of sweet and sour sauce).  I don't have sriracha.  I've never eaten it either.

I'd have to use less than called for because I cannot tolerate super spicy anything.  So it doesn't have to be a perfect match either.  Just not sure if it'll work out.

I wonder if you could get a packet of sriracha from a Chinese restaurant instead of buying an entire bottle.

Yeah I don't know.  That's kind of the bummer because I don't really want to buy a whole bottle of it for a tablespoon or two.

Eh..one of my kids loves hot sauces so maybe he'll eat it.  I think Aldi sells it.

Isn't buffalo sauce a type of barbecue sauce?  And sriracha sauce is more of a really spicy Asian sauce.  You might be able to substitute one for another if you're just looking to sprinkle on a little flavoring...  (Would give it a different flavor, but either might be good, depending on what you're sprinkling it on.)  But if a whole recipe is dependent on it, I wouldn't substitute either for the other.  You'd wreck it.

Isn't buffalo sauce a type of barbecue sauce?  And sriracha sauce is more of a really spicy Asian sauce.  You might be able to substitute one for another if you're just looking to sprinkle on a little flavoring...  (Would give it a different flavor, but either might be good, depending on what you're sprinkling it on.)  But if a whole recipe is dependent on it, I wouldn't substitute either for the other.  You'd wreck it.

No not really.  It's vinegary.  Low or zero sugar. 

Isn't buffalo sauce a type of barbecue sauce? And sriracha sauce is more of a really spicy Asian sauce. You might be able to substitute one for another if you're just looking to sprinkle on a little flavoring... (Would give it a different flavor, but either might be good, depending on what you're sprinkling it on.) But if a whole recipe is dependent on it, I wouldn't substitute either for the other. You'd wreck it.

I can see what you are saying...

If by Buffalo sauce, you mean the sauce you toss chicken wings in to complete a recipe, it usually includes Frank's hot sauce (this is a brand), butter, vinegar, and pepper.

But in this Case, I Think Buffalo Sauce Is Referring To the Frank's Hot Sauce Ingredient.

Im Sorry About the Rouge Capitalization. Ugh.

• Like 1

Sriracha is sweeter and more like the vegetable flavor of chilis, buffalo sauce is way heavier on the vinegar and peppery like the dry spice. They’re not really interchangeable unless you mix your buffalo sauce with lots of honey and maybe grind up some raisins and bell peppers with it - that would taste closer.

my plan was to use fake sugar so...

LOL

Definitely not mixing honey and all that in it.

I'll come up with something. 

For a small amount of kick in  a recipe, I'd probably use the buffalo sauce.  If you don't have sirachi on hand, you probably aren't married to that particular sauce any way.  I keep hot sauce on hand for various things.  What makes it buffalo sauce is just adding butter to it, but it's more versatile than buffalo sauce.  

• Like 1

Go get the Sriracha. It makes Buffalo Sauce jealous for how great it is. If your DS likes hot sauce, he'll eat it. Heck I hate hot sauce... or at least I did until I tried Sriracha. Now I love it.

Lol. My family loves hot sauce, especially buffalo, but they won’t touch sriracha with a 10 foot pole. To me sriracha is tolerable, but I also prefer buffalo.