Menu

What size bike does an 11 year old need?

Tomorrow is ds's 11th birthday. As usual, we waited til the last minute to birthday shop. He needs a new bike but I have no idea what size to get. I guess I can measure his old bike but what do you measure to determine what size it is? Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

The taller your 11 yo is, the taller bike he needs. The shorter your 11 yo is, the shorter bike he needs. And I can't say a certain size based on "he's a tall 11 yo."

Honestly, whether you get him a good bike or a department store bike, you need to take him in and measure him to the bike. If he really likes to ride and rides trails, it may be worth a bike store mountain bike. He may be tall enough that this is the last bike you buy. I know we are there with my girls and they are 14 and 11.

The taller your 11 yo is, the taller bike he needs. The shorter your 11 yo is, the shorter bike he needs. And I can't say a certain size based on "he's a tall 11 yo."

Honestly, whether you get him a good bike or a department store bike, you need to take him in and measure him to the bike. If he really likes to ride and rides trails, it may be worth a bike store mountain bike. He may be tall enough that this is the last bike you buy. I know we are there with my girls and they are 14 and 11.

:iagree:My just turned 10 DS has a 26" men's bike....I think?? It may actually be the next size up.

If it helps you out any, my DS is 5'2".

The size does refer to the wheel but you still should try them out because "all the way down" is not the same on every bike. We have some that have a four inch difference between "all the way down" seat height, with the same wheel size.

If you want to wrap it, you could always measure his old bike (wheels and where he has the seat set right now) and get the next size. Exchangeable for another size is nice.

Depends on what kind of bike :)

If it is a BMX bike you're looking for, there are really only 2 sizes. Kids size, and an adult size, which would work for an 11yo.

If you're looking for a mountain bike, they come in LOTS of sizes. Our 11yo at the time was too tall for the largest "kid" sized Trek MB. He needed a "small" adult size. Sometimes they come in Small, med. large. Usually they come in inches.

Then there is the "road bike" that also comes in numerous sizes.

And, a plain ole beach cruiser, which doesn't really come in sizes, so you could just get one.

I think this is a gift you need to put in a creative gift certificate and say lets go shopping!

My kids love to pick out their own bikes. Why not just take him shopping with you? There are so many different fits with height and arm reach that it is soooo much easier to just take them. Then they get to sit and try the different styles, sizes and features themselves. We always tell the kids our budget before we go or when we first get there so they aren't disappointed by not getting the $400 bike.

If you really need to have a gift wrapped surprise, then you may consider taking them shopping and letting them pick three choices and then you can surprise them with the one you want to buy. This would also give you a chance to come home and do a little google bike review of the specific models to help you decide.

Good luck!

Hope he loves it,

Tap