Menu

Fun, or box checking, World Geography, open to outside of the box

Eighth grader has never taken any sort of world geography course. Now he might take AP Human Geography next year. He is definitely a box checker type. He doesn't enjoy school and would like to just get things over with. I did find some "Top Gear" specials helped because they would feature a different country in each episode. Something like that would be great! But, also something that is just to the point and involves question and answer would be good too. I am open to just a TV series or anything that happens to take place in different countries. Heck, I am open to fiction movies that will give good insight on various parts of the world. But, if it is not engaging, then I need at least "box checking" such as a workbook or workbooks. Free resources and apps and websites are great too. I am open to things like PAC which I saw on Rainbow Resource. But also open to just a bunch of movies or such. Or a combination.

Edited by Templeton

Are you looking for resources for him to do AP Human Geography at home? That's definitely not something where you can just find a general geography documentary series to show him; it's not a learn about all the different countries type of geography, but a course that deals with how humans interact with where they live, and there are a lot of specific terms and concepts to learn. My son did it as a 9th grader, and it's fairly easy as far as AP courses go, but it did require a good bit of preparation on my part and work on his part to do well. 

Edited by kokotg

No. He is thinking of taking AP Human Geo next year, outsourced. It would be a true AP class. He is only in eighth grade now. I wanted to work on something now to help prep him for better success in the class next year. He has not had any geography other than what has been done in the context of history class.

• Like 1

Shepherd's software (online website) is very good for mastering country and capital names and locations. DS and I went through all of the continents before the last Olympics, and it was very satisfying to watch the opening parade and know where every single country was located. Something like that would be good prep before going into a serious geography class.