Menu

Beowulf Grammar

nixpix5

Has anyone used this? I know it is relatively new but it looks so cute :) I have a little guy who will be in 2nd next year that just doesn't seem to be retaining FLL. I am not concerned, my first inclination was to just push grammar to the back burner for a year or two and introduce it organically as we went via copywork and such. However, he is a lover of all things puppy dogs and from the small sample it looks like something he might like.

Has anyone used it? What do you think? What ages does it seemed geared toward?

It is very cute. My (dog-loving) girls really have enjoyed the artwork.

It is a lot of printing, though. It has a lot of great, colored comics, and I wish those were in a separate file (to view on a tablet or easily print separately).

So my complaints are minor. I would say 2nd-5th is the sweet spot this, though my 6th grader liked it.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

It is very cute. My (dog-loving) girls really have enjoyed the artwork.

It is a lot of printing, though. It has a lot of great, colored comics, and I wish those were in a separate file (to view on a tablet or easily print separately).

So my complaints are minor. I would say 2nd-5th is the sweet spot this, though my 6th grader liked it.

Thank you! I don't love curriculum I have to print but if it means he might like and understand grammar then I will bite the bullet. I mean dogs....how can you go wrong with dogs :)

It is super cute, with lots of different worksheet activities, as well as extension activities in the TM. It is definitely written by and for homeschoolers. There are lots of suggestions for rabbit trails. We are taking pretty slow, only 2-3x a week. I'm not worried about finishing up anytime soon. Dd loves it, asks for it, and is disappointed if I don't have it as part of the day's plan.

It is super cute, with lots of different worksheet activities, as well as extension activities in the TM. It is definitely written by and for homeschoolers. There are lots of suggestions for rabbit trails. We are taking pretty slow, only 2-3x a week. I'm not worried about finishing up anytime soon. Dd loves it, asks for it, and is disappointed if I don't have it as part of the day's plan.

Hee hee :) that is so cute. My DD loves grammar too and right now she is doing Rod and Staff and still likes it. Maybe I should just move all three of my kiddos to it. It has got to be better than the corny R&S sentences :)

If you have a tablet, that would be the best way to use it.

Without a tablet, you could try a black and white printer. I've not printed the color comics, so I can't guarantee that they'd look good printed in black and white. It'd be a lot of printing, as the workbook is 431 pages. Some of those need to be printed single sided (for cutting purposes). You could skip some of them (there are several bingo boards for helping with memorizing prepositions). 

As for ages, it does include diagramming and verbals, which may or may not be appropriate for a 2nd grader. You could figure that it's exposure and that you'll cover them again later, not worrying if they completely understand this time around.

• Like 1

I agree with the others.  We started using this mid year this year after many years of failed grammar attempts.  This has been a great program for my ODS who hates grammar as well as my other DS who does well with grammar.  My two other sons saw what their older brother we doing and asked to do it as well!  There is a ton of printing!  I think there is enough in the program that you could pull it out over two years for a younger child who may not be ready for some of the more difficult concepts.

• Like 1