Menu

Anyone making pancakes tonight?

bettyandbob

Nice for tomorrow? Perhaps I misunderstand.

Today - Fat Tuesday - eat up all the eggs and sweets.

Tomorrow - Ash Wednesday - a day of fasting.

Do you celebrate tomorrow differently? Or are you not thinking at all about holidays and are just hitting the easy button for dinner tonight? (ETA easy OR breakfast-for-dinner)

Edited by Seasider

Is that a thing? Is it only for those from cultures that have a type of Carnival? Growing up Catholic pre and post Vatican II we never had anything special before Ash Wednesday. I also don't remember using the term Shrove Tuesday. It wasn't an important day for us nor was it a Holy Day of Obligation. Ash Wednesday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and Easter were the main days of the Lenten (and end of Lent) season.

We heard of Fat Tuesday but only in relation to Mardi Gras. 

We had pancakes and scrambled eggs for dinner. But this was at the request of DD5, not for any reason in particular. Am I missing a reason for pancakes today?

Another common name for the same day is Mardi Gras = Tuesday before Ash Wednesday and start of Lent. Have little "party" before 6 weeks period of contemplation preparing for Easter. 

• Like 1

I think all the Shrove Tuesday food traditions came from using up food that would not be eaten during Lenten fasting.

I think carnival grew from there in some places.

Yes, because 'Carnival' means 'remove/use up flesh/meat'.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/carnival

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1