What's with the ads?

Photo
- - - - -

Is there an addictive quality to almonds?

14 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10148 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

I'm seriously asking this. I eat almonds every day, and when I try to skip it, I can't. I crave the almond. I can't stay away from them. So I'm seriously asking... is there something addictive in almonds?

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21075 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

Or tortilla chips.  

I imagine you just really like almonds.

#3 nixpix5

nixpix5

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1931 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:36 AM

You might have a magnesium deficiency. Nuts in all varieties can be something that become compulsive for people and often times it is due to being deficient in a vitamin or mineral.

You could have a much worse addiction ;)
  • scrapbookbuzz and kbutton like this

#4 Greta

Greta

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7422 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

Well, there's a lot of nutrition in nuts, so I think it's pretty natural for us to crave them.  But there's also a considerable amount of fat and calories on a per ounce basis.  Are you saying you can't go without eating a handful of almonds a day?  I say, enjoy!  If you're saying you eat handfuls of almonds all throughout the day, that might be a problem...?

Edited by Greta, 13 February 2018 - 11:42 AM.

#5 Katy

Katy

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7103 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:41 AM

I think they're also a great source of vitamin E, manganese, copper, and B2.

Are they the most calorically dense food you regularly eat?  That might be why you crave them too.

#6 FuzzyCatz

FuzzyCatz

Googleplex master of hivedom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9524 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

I think this can happen with almost any kind of food.  Almonds are a really nice fat-protein mix. 

#7 thessa516

thessa516

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 11:59 AM

I don't know, but I do crave the dark chocolate covered almonds in the bulk bins. :) I assumed I was craving the chocolate, but maybe it's the almonds.

#8 Stibalfamily

Stibalfamily

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:10 PM

If you eat the roasted salted kind, yes fat and salt are addictive. If you eat the plain regular ones, I don't know. Eating in general can be addictive.

#9 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13009 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:21 PM

I'd guess saltiness and crunch OR the fat OR a combo.

#10 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17627 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

I buy unsalted raw nuts, and they are more complex in flavor, still very good, but less 'addictive' feeling than the typical roasted salted ones.  Healthier, too, I would say.

#11 wintermom

wintermom

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6698 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:32 PM

I'm seriously asking this. I eat almonds every day, and when I try to skip it, I can't. I crave the almond. I can't stay away from them. So I'm seriously asking... is there something addictive in almonds?

I had the same "problem" with pistachios. They are just so tasty, and they were filling. But then I ate too many and they did a number on my belly. I'm not "addicted" anymore. ;) Funny how that craving went away so quickly...

• soror likes this

#12 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38871 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:39 PM

Not for me.  I eat them, but I can't stand too many of them.

#13 kbutton

kbutton

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5626 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

When I have had nutrition-related cravings, it eventually solves itself. I go from "can't stop eating this" to "yeah, I don't need any of those for a while" like someone flipped a switch. This happened to me with Brazil nuts. I saw some in the store, and I thought they looked yummy. I rarely saw them shelled, so it sounded like a nice treat...then I noticed they literally made me super, super happy when I ate them, then I wanted a handful every day...I looked it up, and realized it was probably a selenium thing. After months of eating a handful per day, I suddenly started feeling averse to them (after I'd figured out a way to get them in bulk to be cost effective, of course). Now I can eat them normally when they cross my path. 

Sometimes the cravings aren't over the top, it's just that a side of x sounds lovely every time I see it, lol! (eggs during pregnancy!)

• Rosie_0801 likes this

#14 Selkie

Selkie

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2878 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

That's interesting. I eat plain almonds every day, but could give them up easily. The only food I'm addicted to is salad, because I crave it if I don't have at least one salad a day. Oh, and coffee, too.

#15 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38871 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:13 PM

When I have had nutrition-related cravings, it eventually solves itself. I go from "can't stop eating this" to "yeah, I don't need any of those for a while" like someone flipped a switch. This happened to me with Brazil nuts. I saw some in the store, and I thought they looked yummy. I rarely saw them shelled, so it sounded like a nice treat...then I noticed they literally made me super, super happy when I ate them, then I wanted a handful every day...I looked it up, and realized it was probably a selenium thing. After months of eating a handful per day, I suddenly started feeling averse to them (after I'd figured out a way to get them in bulk to be cost effective, of course). Now I can eat them normally when they cross my path. 

Sometimes the cravings aren't over the top, it's just that a side of x sounds lovely every time I see it, lol! (eggs during pregnancy!)

This happens to me too sometimes. 

• kbutton likes this