Menu

Field Trip Ideas for U.S. History

Sneezyone

Both of my kids will be doing U.S. history next fall with a version of Hakim (concise for DS, regular for DD) and we just so happen to be headed for the east coast. Is anyone willing to recommend high-impact, enjoyable field-trip ideas for U.S. history that are within a day's drive of Rhode Island? I know what's there/close but I don't know whats *fun*.

Edited by Sneezyone

Our trips next year include these:

Jamestown museum followed by original settlement

Provincetown, MA followed by Plimouth Plantation and the Cape Cod Wampanoag museum

The Freedom Trail in Boston on a self guided tour

The Tea Party Museum in Boston

Washington's Crossing in New Jersey (I forget exact location, but I've driven through it often)

Monticello

Philadelphia

(if we can), a White House tour, the Smithsonian, and maybe one or two more museums.

The year after we'll pick up with the civil war and do the Southern White House, Ford's Theatre, battle sites, and move on to more modern history with Menlo Park and a few other places.

ETA: these sites we chose specifically to go along with literature and/or because I've done them before and find them very interesting.  We are not doing Williamsburg, VA, because for us, the cost outweighs the gain.  It's rather busy, but I will say the docents are well-versed in their particular buildings and definitely do well with the history.  If you haven't been, you may want to check it out for a high-impact field trip, and if you have time you can stop at Busch Gardens the next day for all the thrill rides.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

Our trips next year include these:

Jamestown museum followed by original settlement

Provincetown, MA followed by Plimouth Plantation and the Cape Cod Wampanoag museum

The Freedom Trail in Boston on a self guided tour

The Tea Party Museum in Boston

Washington's Crossing in New Jersey (I forget exact location, but I've driven through it often)

Monticello

Philadelphia

(if we can), a White House tour, the Smithsonian, and maybe one or two more museums.

The year after we'll pick up with the civil war and do the Southern White House, Ford's Theatre, battle sites, and move on to more modern history with Menlo Park and a few other places.

ETA: these sites we chose specifically to go along with literature and/or because I've done them before and find them very interesting. We are not doing Williamsburg, VA, because for us, the cost outweighs the gain. It's rather busy, but I will say the docents are well-versed in their particular buildings and definitely do well with the history. If you haven't been, you may want to check it out for a high-impact field trip, and if you have time you can stop at Busch Gardens the next day for all the thrill rides.

Thx. Some things of those we’ve done b/c my bestie lived in NoVA. We did Jamestown, Monticello w/Busch Gardens and the WH for ex. but never the more northern sites so I will definitely pencil those in.

We have family in the south so we’ve been through Memphis (Ntl. Civil Right Museum, Little Rock Central HS, and the Dallas observatory before (with a pass through their natural history museum), I recommend all three of those if you can swing it. Food’s good too!

Edited by Sneezyone

You could adopt one idea I'll be implementing for Texas History. Start with a list of Historical Markers for the area you will be in. Of course they are pretty sparse in other states. In a book I'm reading it said that Texas has around 15K and the state with the second most has 4K.

Oh man! I’m guessing in the RI, MA, CT area that might be a weeeee but overwhelming, lol.

We have family in the south so we’ve been through Memphis (Ntl. Civil Right Museum, Little Rock Central HS, and the Dallas observatory before (with a pass through their natural history museum), I recommend all three of those if you can swing it. Food’s good too!

That would be great!  We did those out of order, and they're all a little farther than a day from us, so I think we may just rely on pictures from our last trip. I think for the youngest we'll end up concentrating more on East and West coast if we can swing it.  We've been wanting to take a trip to San Francisco for a while now.

• Like 1

That would be great! We did those out of order, and they're all a little farther than a day from us, so I think we may just rely on pictures from our last trip. I think for the youngest we'll end up concentrating more on East and West coast if we can swing it. We've been wanting to take a trip to San Francisco for a while now.

Sounds like fun. I love the NorCal area and grew up in the PNW. There are very cool tribal experiences and sites up that way. I’m thinking we will try to stay north of the Mason-Dixon line for the first half of the year. I’d like to visit Pennsylvania (a little further than a single day drive but we can take the train) and maybe Niagara Falls for a weekend? Edited by Sneezyone