Menu

Suggestions for Writing for Middle School

I’m looking for suggestions on curriculum for writing for middle school. I struggle with this subject, much preferring math or science. Since I’m headed to a curriculum fair in a few months, I’d like to pull together a list of curriculum to check out in person.

My children have no learning disabilities, and are pretty decent at writing so far. We have been using Writing With Ease up until this point.

Perhaps there will be a "One Year Adventure Novel" booth at your curriculum fair. If so, check out their middle school writing program "Cover Story." My oldest and youngest have been involved in the OYAN universe for years. The middle school material was after our time, but we love Daniel Schwabauer's teaching.

• Like 2

Are they inclined to do creative writing? If not, you might like WWS. I never thought I would teach any writing since, like you, I am more comfortable with math and science. WWS is very scaffolded for both the student and the teacher. It is teaching the kind of academic writing they will need in high school and college. I still plan to outsource writing eventually, but for middle school this is great.

I'm not a fan of teaching creative writing add an academic class, unless by student request.

• Like 1

When I want to see a list of options, I usually head over to Cathy Duffy's curriculum reviews. 

For a child who is between WWE and WWS I like Writing Tales. There's also Paragraph Writing Made Easy!: 8 Classroom-Tested Lessons and Motivating Practice Pages That Teach Kids to Write Organized, Detailed, and Powerful Paragraphs  Just depends on what you're wanting. I was pretty eclectic with my dd, because she had a gap between WWE and WWS. Almost anything you want to do will be fine. Make sure they learn to type and consider doing projects with tech (History Day documentary videos, powerpoints, etc.).

I never found one writing curriculum that would have worked for all my kids. Some books different kids have used with success and I'd use again (with the right kid) are Writing and Rhetoric from Classical Academic Press and Wordsmith Apprentice and it's sequels from Common Sense Press.