What's with the ads?

#51 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20993 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

Does he already have his own laptop computer?

Yes his dad just bought him one.

And Ds just bought himself an upgraded desktop.

#52 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20993 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

Tee shirt quilts make great graduation presents. I'm planning to make DS a quilt with all of his fencing shirts from competitions and camps. If your DS has a bunch of graphic tees, maybe you could ask your mom to make a quilt with them? Even if he only has a few, you can add strips of fabric in between and a wide border, or add some blank blocks for friends to sign in fabric marker.

Here are a couple of (randomly googled) examples. For a twin size, obviously you wouldn't need as many shirts.

Block style:

oak-hills-high-school-cincinnati-ohio-t-

Patchwork style:

boraas.jpg

I love this idea, but Ds doesn't own a si glee graphic tee. And hasn't since was probably 12.

#53 DawnM

DawnM

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23232 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

Ours get a laptop for college.  

Oldest got one 2.5 years ago and senior will get one this summer.

#54 DawnM

DawnM

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23232 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:26 AM

Does he have a vehicle to get back and forth to college?  Can you give him large amounts of gas cards?  What about food money to buy some food on campus for those days he stays through a meal?  

My guess is that he is trying to be kind to you and not have you spend much money.

PS:  my kids wouldn't want a ring or watch either.....it would be a waste of money.

Edited by DawnM, 14 February 2018 - 08:26 AM.

#55 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20993 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

Does he have a vehicle to get back and forth to college?  Can you give him large amounts of gas cards?  What about food money to buy some food on campus for those days he stays through a meal?  

My guess is that he is trying to be kind to you and not have you spend much money.

PS:  my kids wouldn't want a ring or watch either.....it would be a waste of money.

He does have a vehicle.  But between his dad and me we have already planned to provide his  gas to college....and to feed him.  But I like the idea of extra food money because he never gets enough to eat it seems.

I just hate to give as a 'special gift' something that I would be paying for anyway.

And yes I am sure he doesn't want me to spend money on him.