What's with the ads?

#1 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3868 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

I have been homeschooling too long and used too many materials to use anything I don't actually like. How about you?

• rozes, Evanthe, SusanC and 2 others like this

#2 prairiewindmomma

prairiewindmomma

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10807 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:12 PM

That was me last year. It led to the great book purge of 2017, in which I sold or donated a literal ton of books.  Why waste time on stuff that you don't like (especially when there are so many great choices out there!)???

• rozes, Evanthe, Paradox5 and 3 others like this

#3 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13005 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

LOL, for sure, I decided that long ago. 

• Paradox5 likes this

#4 EmilyGF

EmilyGF

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3119 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

I have been homeschooling too long and used too many materials to use anything I don't actually like. How about you?

What about when you realize that one of your kids learns really really differently than you and that you need to be the adult? 

(Using a math program now I said I'd never use...)

Emily

• Another Lynn, Farrar, happypamama and 1 other like this

#5 Evanthe

Evanthe

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6342 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

You're convincing me to clean out my bookcases!  

#6 soror

soror

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13005 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:30 AM

What about when you realize that one of your kids learns really really differently than you and that you need to be the adult?

(Using a math program now I said I'd never use...)
Emily

lol btdt too
  • klmama likes this

#7 happypamama

happypamama

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9906 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

I keep thinking I should clean stuff out. And then I look at the trail of little brothers.

I did a little miquon with my first. Then a very little with my second. Never opened it with my third. But now I look at the two littlest guys and can maybe see it working for both of them together. They might like a special math time with them, Mom, and the rods.
  • EmilyGF likes this

#8 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10138 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

I find that if *I* don't like using it, I'm less likely to actually, y'know, actually use it.
  • EmilyGF, happypamama, Paradox5 and 1 other like this

#9 EmilyGF

EmilyGF

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3119 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

I find that if *I* don't like using it, I'm less likely to actually, y'know, actually use it.

Yes, very true! But I've had to expand my definition of "like" to fit one of my kiddos and then just do it.

#10 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

From the land of Lynn's Learning Lockdown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10752 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

There's also the problem of "Remember that one program I didn't love.  It might be just the thing now."  Then proceed to buy it AGAIN and not like it AGAIN.  I'm better off with it on my shelf to prevent memory loss.   :laugh:

• kiana, EmilyGF, Tsuga and 1 other like this

#11 Dust

Dust

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

Not curriculum, but I decimated a bookshelf today. Picture books. Flipped through the books, and chose at least one per group of ten, in the order they were on the shelf, to put in the "donate" pile. Now I'm just going to have to remove them from my librarything library before I donate them. And hope they don't escape the pile in the meantime!

We have a great library, and all of the books we do have (at least, the ones I plan to get rid of) are old, not so great, books. Absolutely no reason to have 500 picture books. Need to make space for the 500 curriculum-related books  :lol:

#12 BooksandBoys

BooksandBoys

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1085 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:57 PM

Not curriculum, but I decimated a bookshelf today. Picture books. Flipped through the books, and chose at least one per group of ten, in the order they were on the shelf, to put in the "donate" pile. Now I'm just going to have to remove them from my librarything library before I donate them. And hope they don't escape the pile in the meantime!

We have a great library, and all of the books we do have (at least, the ones I plan to get rid of) are old, not so great, books. Absolutely no reason to have 500 picture books. Need to make space for the 500 curriculum-related books :lol:

😂😂😂