What's with the ads?

#1 macmacmoo

macmacmoo

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

I’m fine with teaching adding, subtraction, multiplication, divisions individually. But I’d really like to combine them for telling time, measurement, etc. is there something that has a group lesson on such topics, but has separate work to go with their math abilities?

#2 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22813 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

I'm not sure that you need a special curriculum for this, if I understand what you're saying. You have multiple kids, you'd like them to work individually on basic skills but together for the elementary "extras" like telling time. Just be sure you get a mastery based curriculum where those topics have their own chapters or sections. Then let your kids go through the lessons at their own pace, but skips the section on telling time or measurement or geometry or whatever until you're ready to teach it to both/all of them. Easy peasy.

Math Mammoth would definitely work great for this. But you could do a bunch of different ones.

• kiana and texasmom33 like this

#3 Sarah0000

Sarah0000

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:02 PM

Do you need a lesson plan for the group lesson? For group lessons I'd probably just watch You Tube videos and play board games on that topic, then use the appropriate level Kumon workbook for individual practice.

#4 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31754 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:26 PM

I'm also not exactly sure what you're wanting, but Rod and Staff Publishers includes measurements and telling time and all that in its math instruction.

• Tsuga likes this

#5 Tsuga

Tsuga

WannaBee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7858 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

I’m fine with teaching adding, subtraction, multiplication, divisions individually. But I’d really like to combine them for telling time, measurement, etc. is there something that has a group lesson on such topics, but has separate work to go with their math abilities?

I think you can combine the conceptual work using real world examples but essentially you ate going to be stuck using examples set to the lowest skill level no matter what. So if a kid can't really add/subtract then telling time is going to remain pretty abstract.

In addition the older ones, unless they are quite slow, are just going to have to sit quiet while the littles pick it up, because child development is what it is.

If you want group math, Bedtime Math multilevel exercises that could work with several grade levels. It is set up for that.

#6 smfmommy

smfmommy

Lurker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:22 PM

Maybe Math on the Level?  https://www.mathonthelevel.com/

#7 Free Indeed

Free Indeed

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

^^Math on the Level is what I was going to suggest.