Menu

The Not According to Plan Teachers Lounge 2-12-2018

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all!

Today's theme stems from the fact that some (most?) of us have these grand plans, or even general plans, for our kiddos homeschooling schedule each week and. . . they constantly get interrupted, maybe even completely changed! May I gently remind you, in the way I often have to gently remind myself:

there is more to true education than just textbooks and worksheets. If you're sick, take time to nurture yourself and let yourself rest - this will teach your kids (who are watching) that it's really okay (and necessary!) to take care of yourself. If you have a quiz planned today but get a call from a friend/relative you haven't seen in a long time and this loved person requests to visit, forego the quiz another day and take time to visit! 

Last night I was watching a show in which the groom-to-be didn't show up for the wedding. Turns out he "had a really important" business deal he needed to close. Seriously? That's the wrong answer! Business does NOT come before personal relationships. Ever. My point being, to those who do better with bluntness, business needs to take a step back from your relationships! 

The whole point of my diatribe is to say, there is education in everything. Even in taking time off to rest/heal. Taking time off from the bookwork to interact with grandma, cousins, bff who moved away but is only in town for a day, etc. It really is okay to put those books away for a day! Unless of course, kiddo has an absolute favorite school book he wants to show off to the company. Let him bring it out and be proud of it! Daughter has a favorite art project she did? Let her share it with your visitor. 

All great education!

Moving on . . . 

Who's schedule has been interrupted already today/this week? Here: not so far but it's not quite 0900 on Monday, so it's early yet! 'course, I haven't written out any plans yet, either . . . :p

What's on the schedule this week besides school? Here: I'm thinking about scheduling a couple beginning medicinal herb classes (NO, not cannabis) and a couple of beginning essential oil classes in March and April. Haven't firmly decided yet. Today we have to go clean kids' dojang. Tonight I'm meeting with a group of writers for dinner/writing session. Beyond that - we'll see!

Anyone going to any conferences this year? Here: there's an Herb Fest coming up this spring, and it's local, so I may go to that. There are two writers conferences in August that have caught my eye. IF I can work out the finances, I definitely want to go to the one in Glasgow. :001_tt1:  If not, I'll be going to the one in WI.  :D

Talk to me! :bigear:

• Like 1

Oh, so timely!

We just had a class cancel and reschedule, a party crop up (at a usual class, but now to get things for it), another party later in the week (rsvp'd, on the calendar, but becoming another thing to take away from school work now), and spring is calling us out of doors so not a whole lot is getting done this week in the books.  On the flip side....

-ds read an entire biography on Marco Polo because he was fascinated with him after our study a few weeks ago.

-he spent the weekend reading A Wrinkle In Time because I urged him to give it a few years but he wants to watch the movie. 

-we're listening to a book by Stephen Hawking in the car (George's Secret Key To The Universe)

-he's getting to take part in a play

-we spent most of the day yesterday doing science experiments and planting a garden

-he's spending a lot of time outside doing things

I know the book work will be there, but that little part of me hates that I can't check it off!

I'm not going to any conferences this year.  I have a hard time finding one that is my style.  I am thinking of going and sitting in on another CC presentation, lol, just for fun and to see how much they try to sell it to a new crowd here.

• Like 1

I've looked at CC before. While I like the books, I found the price tag to be a little high for something considered "homeschooling."

And, while I'm sure not all the CC groups are the same, my friend's daughter found it to be clique-ish, sadly, and she was the one who was 'shut out.' So they are no longer a part of it.

I've looked at CC before. While I like the books, I found the price tag to be a little high for something considered "homeschooling."

And, while I'm sure not all the CC groups are the same, my friend's daughter found it to be clique-ish, sadly, and she was the one who was 'shut out.' So they are no longer a part of it.

To be honest, I have no desire to be part of the community.  DS is asynchronous to a point where the pace of CC would drive him insane.  I do find the marketing techniques interesting, though, and can be more comfortable in our own approach if I compare it to others and look at each part honestly.

Good morning, all!

Today's theme stems from the fact that some (most?) of us have these grand plans, or even general plans, for our kiddos homeschooling schedule each week and. . . they constantly get interrupted, maybe even completely changed! May I gently remind you, in the way I often have to gently remind myself:

there is more to true education than just textbooks and worksheets. If you're sick, take time to nurture yourself and let yourself rest - this will teach your kids (who are watching) that it's really okay (and necessary!) to take care of yourself. If you have a quiz planned today but get a call from a friend/relative you haven't seen in a long time and this loved person requests to visit, forego the quiz another day and take time to visit! 

Last night I was watching a show in which the groom-to-be didn't show up for the wedding. Turns out he "had a really important" business deal he needed to close. Seriously? That's the wrong answer! Business does NOT come before personal relationships. Ever. My point being, to those who do better with bluntness, business needs to take a step back from your relationships! 

The whole point of my diatribe is to say, there is education in everything. Even in taking time off to rest/heal. Taking time off from the bookwork to interact with grandma, cousins, bff who moved away but is only in town for a day, etc. It really is okay to put those books away for a day! Unless of course, kiddo has an absolute favorite school book he wants to show off to the company. Let him bring it out and be proud of it! Daughter has a favorite art project she did? Let her share it with your visitor. 

All great education!

Moving on . . . 

Who's schedule has been interrupted already today/this week? Here: not so far but it's not quite 0900 on Monday, so it's early yet! 'course, I haven't written out any plans yet, either . . . :p

What's on the schedule this week besides school? Here: I'm thinking about scheduling a couple beginning medicinal herb classes (NO, not cannabis) and a couple of beginning essential oil classes in March and April. Haven't firmly decided yet. Today we have to go clean kids' dojang. Tonight I'm meeting with a group of writers for dinner/writing session. Beyond that - we'll see!

Anyone going to any conferences this year? Here: there's an Herb Fest coming up this spring, and it's local, so I may go to that. There are two writers conferences in August that have caught my eye. IF I can work out the finances, I definitely want to go to the one in Glasgow. :001_tt1:  If not, I'll be going to the one in WI.  :D

Talk to me! :bigear:

No school for us this week. I scheduled a mid-February break back when I was planning the school year. So far no interruptions for my schedule yet. I'm planning to get as much writing done as I can while I'm not in charge of school, but there's planning to do and the usual housekeeping.

I'd like to go to a writers' conference at some point. But it would have to be more or less within driving distance. 

• Like 2

Hi Scrap!

Just school and some errands on the schedule today. 

The interruption is really not one, just Ds' attitude and ADHD, which make everything longer and more difficult than it would otherwise be. Dh is working at home and he sometimes makes our schooling harder by jumping in with a "do-it-now-or-else" ultimatum, which is a disaster.

No conferences here. Trying to scrape up the money for kids to go to summer camp, so no extra money for fun things for me.  Except, I do get to go to a theology conference here in April. My church will host two Westminster seminary profs for a Friday night/Sat morning deal. It is very inexpensive ($25) and I can probably get a scholarship if needed. Dh and Ds will be camping that weekend and Dd has plans of her own, so I won't be leaving anyone in the lurch. 

• Like 1