Menu

did you see this: Prof: "Australia not a country"

regentrude

Found this on the university's online degree page:

"Expert instruction - learn from experienced faculty who bring relevant and actionable insights into the classroom"

I feel kinda bad for the instructor--having her mistake made so public. But yeah, it's a pretty significant mistake from someone who is supposedly qualified to teach the course.

• Like 3

Wonder how they screen their online prof applicants ....

On a somewhat related note, I always "knew" Australia was a country and a continent, but when I visited there last month, various sources said the jury was still out on whether it's an island, a continent, or both.

Found this on the university's online degree page:

"Expert instruction - learn from experienced faculty who bring relevant and actionable insights into the classroom"

I feel kinda bad for the instructor--having her mistake made so public. But yeah, it's a pretty significant mistake from someone who is supposedly qualified to teach the course.

I don't  -she could have looked it up on the internet before denying the students claim

I don't -she could have looked it up on the internet before denying the students claim

Especially when the student emailed her a second time and included the link to the Australian government’s website. She could have just said “oops, my bad†and saved it then, but instead she doubles down and says that she had received the student’s link and would do her own independent research on the continent vs. country issue.

When the instructor sorta, kinda admits her mistake, she only does so begrudgingly and then chastises the student to be sure her paper reports on Australia the country and not Australia the continent.

The original BuzzFeed article had the entire email chain. I don’t really think much of the online school at this point, tbh, but I will admit they had a good response.

• Like 7

What gets me is that she was arguing with the student about it.

Everybody can have a brain fart - but to defend it so persistently before checking is ridiculous.

• Like 11

You know ... (and not to snark at JoJosMom, because I know that that was kinda tongue in cheek) ... one of the things that really frustrates me about this is that I am absolutely positive a certain segment of the population is going to generalize what happens at a school that is primarily about credentialing people online, and assume that this is pretty universal across all colleges. 

• Like 7

You know ... (and not to snark at JoJosMom, because I know that that was kinda tongue in cheek) ... one of the things that really frustrates me about this is that I am absolutely positive a certain segment of the population is going to generalize what happens at a school that is primarily about credentialing people online, and assume that this is pretty universal across all colleges. 

'Tis the bad in any profession that bring the whole thing down - doctors, teachers, professors, plumbers, cashiers, etc.

Actually, the same thing happens in life in general - the person who assumes their dog is a special snowflake and can go where pets aren't allowed because "everyone" loves it!!! messing it up for genuine service dogs (referring to a recent thread) or parents letting their special snowflake disturb group activities or that one bully in a class at ps or whatever - all the same stuff.

It takes a bit of thought to realize these aren't the whole they represent.  If it's all one sees (because the others aren't always making waves to be seen), it's what folks assume is the norm.