Menu

How to Choose "the" College

whitestavern

I could've sworn there was a thread about factors to look at when you're choosing a college, but now I can't find it :(

What things do you consider important to evaluate as your kids compare colleges? DD has some clear favorites from her visits, but there are so many things to consider that she probably hasn't thought about. What sorts of things do/did your dc look at when comparing the colleges at which they were accepted?

For us, once the affordable options were figured out, my guys got to choose.  They chose a combo of seeing what specific interesting courses were offered, what professors had special interest in within their taught classes, and general feel for the campus (pure fit).

In hindsight, I liked that my younger two were also very near an airport serviced by Southwest as they have a hub near us making flights inexpensive, but I don't think I'd have ever made that a requirement.  It was just a really nice perk.

• Like 1

My ds is down to two choices, one public and one private. They were late on the radar so he has yet to visit but will visit both in the next three weeks. On paper they both look good (though I have a preference) and comparable on cost so it will come down to the visit and likely just which one feels "right". On paper either choice is good so he can just pick. I expect him to like both schools when he visits.

However..I am more comfortable with the financials of the public school. The financial aid grant he has been awarded freshman year could be adjusted in the future making the private school more expensive. Online stats show that returning students get less aid at this school than incoming freshman. Of course, he has to keep his GPA up to keep scholarships at either school but that is more under his control than the financial aid grant at the private school.

So that is something to ponder. That issue is on the back burner now while he visits both schools. If he chooses the public school we won't even need to worry about that so I'm not, for now.

If merit scholarships is involved, compare the GPA required to maintain those scholarships.

I'm finding that some schools list as high as 3.7, most 3.5, some 3.2, and a few 3.0. One says the requirements will 'be in the scholarship letter (no info on website) and one lists "satisfactory academic progress" which appears to be dependent on your grade level standing but as low as 1.5. Huge differences!

Edited by RootAnn