Menu

multi variable calculus online?

My DS enjoyed using MIT OCW for multivariable (as well as differential equations).

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-02sc-multivariable-calculus-fall-2010/

He only occasionally used the textbook Vector Calculus by Marsden and Tromba.

Those are my recommendations, too. My kids self studied with Marsden and Tromba, which was recommended on the AoPS boards way back when we needed that course.

• Like 1

Guessing MIT OCW may be a better online option than, say, Khan for a summer intro to calc (calc 1/calc AB)?  I bought Stewart and also Schaum's Outine just to have around for reference, but she'll need something more substantial.  I am looking at this course  https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/syllabus/  I'm wondering whether this covers calc 1 or calc 1+2 ?  Maybe I can look at a syllabus for AB and figure this out...

• Like 1

Guessing MIT OCW may be a better online option than, say, Khan for a summer intro to calc (calc 1/calc AB)?  I bought Stewart and also Schaum's Outine just to have around for reference, but she'll need something more substantial.  I am looking at this course  https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-01sc-single-variable-calculus-fall-2010/syllabus/  I'm wondering whether this covers calc 1 or calc 1+2 ?  Maybe I can look at a syllabus for AB and figure this out...

That OCW class covers the Calc BC material. (MIT does calc 1 + calc 2 as a one semester course)

Units 1, 2, and 3 cover the Calc AB material, along with L'Hopital's Rule from Unit 5.

Take a look at this OCW course also: Highlights of Calculus by Gilbert Strang. It's not a whole course, but instead is a nice introductory overview. I think it would be great as a summer preview, especially if your student is a big picture learner. Professor Strang is a fabulous lecturer.

• Like 3

Larson has a site called "calc chat" that has video lectures for the topics in Calc AB and BC. The site is free, and I think the lectures are very good. Larson also has a website, Calc View, that has worked out solutions to every odd problem in their various calculus books.
  • Like 2

(LOL I had clicked on a random video from the other course and was kinda hooked for a bit, getting some calc review, because I remember nothing  :))

That OCW class covers the Calc BC material. (MIT does calc 1 + calc 2 as a one semester course)

Units 1, 2, and 3 cover the Calc AB material, along with L'Hopital's Rule from Unit 5.

Take a look at this OCW course also: Highlights of Calculus by Gilbert Strang. It's not a whole course, but instead is a nice introductory overview. I think it would be great as a summer preview, especially if your student is a big picture learner. Professor Strang is a fabulous lecturer.

This looks fantastic!  So, she could use these Strang videos as an intro to get the big picture first and then add on whatever additional AB topics she needed from the calc 1+2 course above.

Thank you, Kathy!!!

• Like 2