Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW7: Agatha Christie and Christopher Brookmyre

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to Week Seven  in our Open Roads Reading Adventure. Greetings to all our readers and to all following our progress.  Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

agatha%2Bchristie.jpg

Our author choices of the month include a classic English mystery writer, Agatha Christie and contemporary mystery Scottish author, Christopher Brookmyre

Dame Agatha Christie was born September 15, 1890 in Torquay, Devon. She was homeschooled and began writing poems when she was a child and short stories by the age of 18. During the first world war, she started writing detective stories.  In 1919, her first novel, The Mysterious Affair at Styles was published and she went on to publish 66 detective novels, 14 short story collections as well as plays, plus 6 romances under the pseudonym of Mary Westmacott.   

Christie loved archaeology and traveling. She traveled on the Orient Express in 1928, then in 1930 went on to an archaeological site in UR, Nineveh in the Middle East where she met Max who become her second husband. She accompanied him on many digs and her stories were inspired by all her true-life experiences.  In 1955, She was the first to receive the Grand Master Award, the highest honor by the Mystery Writers of America's.  In 1971, she was granted female knighthood as Dame Commander of the British Empire for her literary work.  She passed away at the age of 85 on January 12, 1976.

Find out more about Agatha through BBC's A look at the life and craft of Agatha Christie, through the Smithsonian’s Where Agatha Christie Dreamed Up Murder,  as well as The Home of Agatha Christie which provides a complete biography, detailed information about all her books, and the Agatha Christie Community Forum.

BrookmyreChristopher_250.jpg

Christopher Brookmyre was born on September 6, 1968 in Glasgow, Scotland and went to Glasgow University. He worked for Screen InternationalThe Scotsman, and Edinburgh Evening news before going on to publish his first book in 1996.  Quite Ugly One Morning which won the Critic's First Blood Award for best first crime novel of the year. He  has written 21 books to date full of thrills and chills, murder and mayhem.   

His writing contains a mix of politics, social commentary, and action.   He has joined the ranks of William McIIvanney, Val McDermid and Ian Rankin as a Tartan Noir author whose books are characterized by hard boiled, antiheroes.   His latest book, Places in the Darkness, is a futuristic science fiction, murder mystery set on a space station above earth.  

book%2Bcover%2Bplaces%2Bin%2Bthe%2Bdarkn

Synopsis:  Hundreds of miles above Earth, the space station Ciudad de Cielo - The City in the Sky - is a beacon of hope for humanity's expansion into the stars. But not everyone aboard shares such noble ideals.  Bootlegging, booze, and prostitution form a lucrative underground economy for rival gangs, which the authorities are happy to turn a blind eye to until a disassembled corpse is found dancing in the micro-gravity. 

In charge of the murder investigation is Nikki "Fix" Freeman, who is not thrilled to have Alice Blake, an uptight government goody-two-shoes, riding shotgun. As the bodies pile up, and the partners are forced to question their own memories, Nikki and Alice begin to realize that gang warfare may not be the only cause for the violence.

Find out more about Christopher Brookmyre through The novelist on psychopathic surgeons, and why he declined Question Time, Crime by the Book's Bloody Scotland interview and Crime Fiction Lover's Interview with Chris Brookmyre

Join in on Agatha Christie's Perpetual reading challenge and be sure to check out Chris Brookmyre this month.  

Brit Tripping -  Ermine Street: Cambridgeshire

Our next stop following Ermine Street is Cambridgeshire located 50 miles north of London and well known for the University of Cambridge.

Rabbit trails: Things to Do   Snowdrops at Anglesey Abbey  Fenland (watch the commercial)  The Fens

Calling all Detectives and Rebels:  Last call to have your name added to our 52 books postcard swap list.  Pm your name, address and email to me.  If you are already on the list, no need to send me your address again. Just let me know if you want to receive Brit Tripping postcards.  I'll be sending out the list in a couple days. 

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 6

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

I finished A Soldier of the Great War. It's one of those books you have to let sit with you and ponder for a while before you say anything.  Still gathering my thoughts.  

So today I've traveling in London with Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady which I am thoroughly enjoying (thank you Karen) 

• Like 13

This week I got past the first ten books for the year, efficiently getting through five (shortish, except for the just-a-chunkster Gissing) texts.

1. Eugene Sue, The Wandering Jew*

2. J.-K. Huysmans, The damned (La-Bas)

3. Jeremias Gotthelf, The Black Spider

4. Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

5. Jean Giono, The Hill

6. Abbe Theodore Ratisbonne, St. Bernard of Clairvaux*

7. Tove Jansson, The True Deceiver

8. Blaise Pascal, Pensees

This week:

9. Irene Nemirovsky, David Golder

10. Dylan Thomas, Quite Early One Morning

11. George Gissing, New Grub Street*

12. Anton Chekhov, The Seagull

13. Irene Nemirovsky, The Ball

It was interesting to simultaneously read New Grub Street, a novel about novels and the writing life, and The Seagull, a play about a play and the acting life (sort of). Very meta.

Currently reading C. P. Snow, The Masters, a novel in the Lewis Eliot series (others of which I have not read, but The Masters stands on its own just fine) about academic politics in Cambridge before the second World War (ETA: just this novel, not the whole series). Set in Cambridgeshire, obviously. Let's get the English county sub-list going:

London: George Gissing, New Grub Street

Cambridgeshire: C. P. Snow, The Masters

Also slowly forward in Child's Ballads, and re-re-re-reading Augustine's Confessions with Middle Girl. Or I would be if I had started it yet.

I will check in early this week and then for a while just pop in on Sundays for reading updates. Apologies for radio silence.

ETA: fixing ambiguity

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 13

Thanks for all the kind words last week.

So today I've traveling in London with Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady which I am thoroughly enjoying (thank you Karen) 

You are quite welcome, Robin.  Joanna Bourne is definitely a favorite author of mine.  I recommend continuing on with The Forbidden Rose and The Black Hawk.

A few bookish posts ~

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

Maxims and Reflections by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe  

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

This week I got past the first ten books for the year, efficiently getting through five (shortish, except for the just-a-chunkster Gissing) texts.

1. Eugene Sue, The Wandering Jew*

2. J.-K. Huysmans, The damned (La-Bas)

3. Jeremias Gotthelf, The Black Spider

4. Muriel Spark, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie

5. Jean Giono, The Hill

6. Abbe Theodore Ratisbonne, St. Bernard of Clairvaux*

7. Tove Jansson, The True Deceiver

8. Blaise Pascal, Pensees

This week:

9. Irene Nemirovsky, David Golder

10. Dylan Thomas, Quite Early One Morning

11. George Gissing, New Grub Street*

12. Anton Chekhov, The Seagull

13. Irene Nemirovsky, The Ball

It was interesting to simultaneously read New Grub Street, a novel about novels and the writing life, and The Seagull, a play about a play and the acting life (sort of). Very meta.

Currently reading C. P. Snow, The Masters, a novel in the Lewis Eliot series (others of which I have not read, but The Masters stands on its own just fine) about academic politics in Cambridge before the second World War (ETA: just this novel, not the whole series). Set in Cambridgeshire, obviously. Let's get the English county sub-list going:

London: George Gissing, New Grub Street

Cambridgeshire: C. P. Snow, The Masters

Also slowly forward in Child's Ballads, and re-re-re-reading Augustine's Confessions with Middle Girl. Or I would be if I had started it yet.

I will check in early this week and then for a while just pop in on Sundays for reading updates. Apologies for radio silence.

ETA: fixing ambiguity

C. P. Snow!!!  I haven't read him (her?) but i remember my dad really liked that author.  Violet Crown, what book would you recommend starting with if one wanted to read a Snow book?

• Like 11

I finished Sylvester by Georgette Heyer (a re-read) and now I am reread a Civil Contract also by her.  If any of you Heyer ladies are on facebook there is a wonderful international group of Heyer lovers there. I think it is called The Georgette Heyer Appreciation Group, if you are interested.  Maybe some of you are already there!  

Still working through Brothers Karamazov.  I love the main reader at librivox, Sarah Bean.  She is quite good.  I listened mostly at the beginning of the week but haven't had a chance to listen in the last couple of days.  Also, still pecking away at The Odyssey with my 16 yo.  

And still reading Apologia Pro Vita Sua. Right after I made the commend that Newman was living in a bubble in the early 1800s and never seemed to mention stuff like Napoleon and all the revolutions going on, he did mention them.  So now I feel like there is more context for me to grasp on to.

So I am just nibbling away at my reads, except for the lighter stuff, like Heyer.  

• Like 13

I haven’t posted my reading in a while since I was away from home for most of January. Here’s my list ~

New to me reads:

Linesman, Alliance, and Confluence all by S.K. Dunstall (enjoyed a lot)
Spyridon by Lillian James (enjoyed; I think it was Heather[butter] who mentioned this book and piqued my interest)
Spellbinder by Thea Harrison (enjoyed)
Five Minutes Longer by Victoria Sue (enjoyed)
Against All Odds by Jezz De Silva (enjoyed)

Ruin of a Rake by Cat Sebastian (enjoyed)
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (enjoyed)
Her Heart’s Desire by Laura Shipley (written by an acquaintance of an acquaintance; won’t be re-reading)
Fire in His Blood by Ruby Dixon (rather ho hum)
A Reason to Believe by Diana Copland (liked this)
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan for my sister’s book group (quite good)

Plus these re-reads (all highly enjoyable):

Switched by N R Walker
Five novels in The Others series by Anne Bishop (I’m looking forward to the author’s new book coming out in March)
Three books featuring Liam and Ondry plus the prelude by Lyn Gala
Two Guardsmen novels by Cooper West plus two shorter works
Alpha and Omega plus Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (I'm eagerly anticipating the next book in this series which comes out in March)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I read A Thousand Days in Tuscany - 2 Stars - I usually love reading about travel and food and I started out enjoying the descriptions of Tuscany, but then I got bored since there wasn’t much of a story. It was just a bit slow and boring for me. I also had a difficult time trying to understand some of the characters. In all fairness, the story did pick up a bit near the end.

I’m happy that I’ve learned how to properly pronounce bruschetta!

I’m not sure as to whether I will read more in this series. I think that I like the idea of her books more than the books themselves. The attractive covers help also!

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Look at that Tuscan landscape. This is where everyone in the world would like to live."

“Living in the moment and being content with one’s portion makes for the best of all lives.â€

“Don’t be afraid of your children. If they’re going to love you, they’ll love you on their own, without your having to pander to them. If they’re not going to love you, there’s nothing to do about it.â€

9780345481092.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 12

C. P. Snow!!! I haven't read him (her?) but i remember my dad really liked that author. Violet Crown, what book would you recommend starting with if one wanted to read a Snow book?

Oooo, I don't know, this is my first Snow. If you don't like the sub-genre of the academic novel, you may not find the cast of fourteen similar men and the plot of faculty politicking, with its shifting alliances and inexplicable pettinesses, terribly gripping. As the hoary saying goes, academic infighting is so bitter because the stakes are so small. But I'm enjoying it, and feel that I recognize some of the personalities.

• Like 9

Loesje,

I know you have access to Agatha Christie books via your library but am wondering if you have access to Josephine Tey, specifically Man in the Queue? Also assuming Dorothy Sayers is easy?

I can get it through IBL (= 2 euro per book)

http://zoeken.provincieantwerpen.bibliotheek.be/detail/Josephine-Tey/The-man-in-the-queue/Boek/?itemid=%7Clibrary%2Fm%2Foba%7Cc%3Aob%3A1011452

Dorothy Sayers is well translated but mostly available through IBL.

• Like 8

Hi, I'm between "serious reads" but still reading a little.

I got my 11yo two books for her birthday, which she then recommended to me to read.  The first one was definitely a kid book, The Secret Horses of Briar Hill, but I read it anyway.  Not a fave, but a book is a book, right?  Currently I'm close to finishing The Winter Horses, which is better.  Both are set in WWII and have elements of fantasy alongside realism.

We finished Oliver Twist (audiobook) after a number of weeks.  I had forgotten a lot of the minor details, plus it's always nice to be treated to old-fashioned literature, so that was fun.  Currently we are listening to Little Men.  The latest book club selection was The Watsons Go to Birmingham, which was good, but it got weird at the end.  The next one is Extra Credit, but it is on order.

I've been doing short read-alouds to get through some young books (to hand down) and touch on topics I want the girls to learn / retain.  I hope my kids continue to enjoy read-alouds.  Last night one of mine asked me to stop so she could watch something on her computer.  I hope it was just temporary peevishness.  I have some interesting books in the read-aloud pipeline.

Periodically I go back to re-reading Untangled, but I really want some more good books to read.  Looking forward to my kids' tastes becoming more mature so we can all seriously enjoy books together.

• Like 12

Hi everyone! I've been meandering around my stacks of books and having a hard time settling down to one all the way through. I've started several  - some new to me and some rereads - and still have   4 or 5 that I really should pick up as they will be due back at the library soon. 

Last week I did start and finish the newest book by David Lebovitz, L'Appart: The Delights and Disasters of Making My Paris Home. This is his most recent memoir and is mostly Disasters with very very few Delights. He buys an apartment in Paris that desperately needs renovating and somehow hires the king of scoundrels to be his contractor. It is one bad decision on top of the other and it ended up being a stressful read. I was disappointed overall as I had read and loved his earlier book, The Sweet Life in Paris. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34347751-l-appart

For Brit Tripping I have started a Victoria Holt novel, The Hunter's Moon. I'm not sure where to place it yet - so far it has taken place in Sussex, London, Nottinghamshire, and now we are in Devon. 

• Like 12

I'm rushing to finish all my Peter Beagle reads this week, but that's almost like trying to eat a decadent slice of cheesecake in a hurry. It's impossible not to stop and savor. I'm working my way through Between the Lines, a short story collection, and Summerlong is next on the list. I also picked up a fantasy romance, Rosemarked, by Livia Blackburne. So I might get the Rose challenge this month if I can find and finish o and e. 

• Like 10

I haven’t posted my reading in a while since I was away from home for most of January. Here’s my list ~

New to me reads:

Linesman, Alliance, and Confluence all by S.K. Dunstall (enjoyed a lot)

Spyridon by Lillian James (enjoyed; I think it was Heather[butter] who mentioned this book and piqued my interest)

Spellbinder by Thea Harrison (enjoyed)

Five Minutes Longer by Victoria Sue (enjoyed)

Against All Odds by Jezz De Silva (enjoyed)

Ruin of a Rake by Cat Sebastian (enjoyed)

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (enjoyed)

Her Heart’s Desire by Laura Shipley (written by an acquaintance of an acquaintance; won’t be re-reading)

Fire in His Blood by Ruby Dixon (rather ho hum)

A Reason to Believe by Diana Copland (liked this)

Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan for my sister’s book group (quite good)

Plus these re-reads (all highly enjoyable):

Switched by N R Walker

Five novels in The Others series by Anne Bishop (I’m looking forward to the author’s new book coming out in March)

Three books featuring Liam and Ondry plus the prelude by Lyn Gala

Two Guardsmen novels by Cooper West plus two shorter works

Alpha and Omega plus Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs (I'm eagerly anticipating the next book in this series which comes out in March)

Regards,

Kareni

Ooooh, a new Patricia Briggs! I didn't know about that one. It's now on hold. :lol:

I can get it through IBL (= 2 euro per book)http://zoeken.provincieantwerpen.bibliotheek.be/detail/Josephine-Tey/The-man-in-the-queue/Boek/?itemid=|library%2Fm%2Foba|c%3Aob%3A1011452

Dorothy Sayers is well translated but mostly available through IBL.

I am setting a few books aside for you so don't order it. ;)

I am listening to a book in Fiona Buckley's Ursala Blanchard. This one is set in Hertfordshire but the next one is in Cambridgeshire. So you know what I am trying to do! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11442842-to-ruin-a-queen

I am currently reading The Man in the Queue by Tey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/243400.The_Man_in_the_Queue and The Grave is a Fine and Private Thing the latest Flavia De Luce https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34837078-the-grave-s-a-fine-and-private-place.

Now for Cambridgeshire.... I am planning to read Mistress of the Art of Death by Arian Franklin. This is a series that I have tried unsuccessfully to read in the past but my bf loves it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2228348.Mistress_of_the_Art_of_Death

I am also looking forward to Cambridge Blue by Alison Bruce. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18929647-cambridge-blue

I have had a Sci Fi audio that is supposed to have a Cambridge connection on hold for quite awhile called The Three Body Problem. Who knows if it will arrive in time. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20518872-the-three-body-problem?ac=1&from_search=true

• Like 10

Inside baseball alert.

Since this is Agatha Christie week, here's a bit of trivia little known outside the tiny international community of Traditionalist Catholics. Though not any variety of Catholic at all, Christie is revered as one of the signatories of a Post-Vatican 2 letter to Pope Paul VI, pleading with him to allow English Catholics to sometimes be permitted to hear the Old Mass. The story goes that Pope Paul read the petition with skepticism -- similar pleas had been disregarded -- then saw her name, exclaimed, "Ah, Agatha Christie!!" -- and granted it. The papal permission (indult) was thereafter known affectionately as the "Agatha Christie indult."

• Like 17

Hi, book friends! I am currently in the middle of The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer; it’s pretty good. Probably going to garner 3-4 stars from me. I recently finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Wells, which I LOVED. Also just finished The Joy Luck Club, which I listened to on Audible while knitting, and Brave New World, which was my classic for January and also my IRL book club book.

My IRL February book club choice is The Almost Sisters, which I’m not terribly excited about, but we’ll see. I think my February classic is going to be The Hunchback of Notre Dame, since I am planning to go to France in March and want to read some Hugo. I have never read this one before, so if anyone has any tips for getting the most out of it, I’m all ears. I expect to get it on Audible, because it’s a chunkster and I want to get some knitting done while I “readâ€. I also want to read a foodie book about France, if anyone has a title to recommend. :)

And I’m planning to send out some France postcards to my BAWers when I go. :)

• Like 11

I finished Madame Bovary and started The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce and I am enjoying it apart from the descriptions of the blisters on his feet.

I am looking at a bunch of books on creative lettering and trying to expand my handwriting fonts.

For homeschooling we are reading Sense and Sensibility and The Subtle Knife and enjoying them tremendously.

• Like 14

You are quite welcome, Robin.  Joanna Bourne is definitely a favorite author of mine.  I recommend continuing on with The Forbidden Rose and The Black Hawk.

A few bookish posts ~

Maxims and Reflections by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe  

Regards,

Kareni

I missed all your interesting links while you were gone!

Inside baseball alert.

Since this is Agatha Christie week, here's a bit of trivia little known outside the tiny international community of Traditionalist Catholics. Though not any variety of Catholic at all, Christie is revered as one of the signatories of a Post-Vatican 2 letter to Pope Paul VI, pleading with him to allow English Catholics to sometimes be permitted to hear the Old Mass. The story goes that Pope Paul read the petition with skepticism -- similar pleas had been disregarded -- then saw her name, exclaimed, "Ah, Agatha Christie!!" -- and granted it. The papal permission (indult) was thereafter known affectionately as the "Agatha Christie indult."

That's super interesting. Her second husband was a Catholic and I think she had a nephew that converted to Catholicism. That doesn't exactly explain her buy in for helping English Catholics though.

• Like 11

Next stop for the Detective Bus is Cambridgeshire. Everyone get off, use the loo, stretch your legs, and then solve a mystery or two.

Rebels ... why did we even get them a bus? I feel like most of them are hitchhiking around England on all sorts of adventures. :laugh:

I'm having so much fun following everyone's reading. :001_wub:  My to-read is list in increasing at an exponential rate.

This week on my nightstand I've got:

Dead Scared by SJ Bolton - second in the Lacey Flint series which I read the first one of in London last week

Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott

Time and Time Again by Ben Elton

I'm concerned that this week is going to suffer from the same problem last week suffered from ... too many good books and not enough time.

• Like 12

This week on my nightstand I've got:

Dead Scared by SJ Bolton - second in the Lacey Flint series which I read the first one of in London last week

Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott

I put the first one on hold at my library (Kindle version). That's the only one of the series on Kindle but they have all in print versions.

One of my libraries has Ghostwalk as an audio book and I added it to my wish list there. I'll listen to a sample before deciding if I want to listen to that version. It's available in paperback so if I decide I'd rather read it I can always check out a printed copy. 

I'm concerned that this week is going to suffer from the same problem last week suffered from ... too many good books and not enough time.

That's every week for me! It's okay though. I don't remember if I saw this story on last week's BaW thread or somewhere else, but I shared it with my local book club on our facebook page. Forgive me if it's a repeat, but it's worth sharing for those who didn't see it. 

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/why-you-should-stop-feeling-bad-about-all-those-books-you-buy-dont-read.html

• Like 11

That's every week for me! It's okay though. I don't remember if I saw this story on last week's BaW thread or somewhere else, but I shared it with my local book club on our facebook page. Forgive me if it's a repeat, but it's worth sharing for those who didn't see it.

https://www.inc.com/jessica-stillman/why-you-should-stop-feeling-bad-about-all-those-books-you-buy-dont-read.html

So it's good that I have books returning to the library with only a brief glance! :lol: ;)

• Like 10

You were missed. :grouphug:

Last week was a "catch-up" week for the NPR Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy list. I suspect I may be doing several of these over the year.

Books finished last week:

• The Caves of Steel (Robot #1) by Isaac Asimov, 270 pages. Science Fiction. A police detective pairs up with a robot to find a murderer. Asimov explores his favorite subject - The Three Laws of Robotics. #94 on the NPR List.
  • A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, 613 pages. Science Fiction. Two children navigate the perils of an alien culture while a dangerous menace that destroyed their home world searches the galaxy for them. #93 on the NPR List.
  • The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee, 19.5 hours. Biology. A history of genetics from Aristotle to the present day, the current status of genetic research, and the perils and benefits of gene science in the future. If you enjoy reading or listening to science books, I highly, highly recommend this one. At times funny, other times tragic. Much of the information was familiar, but Mukherjee's writing is engaging.
  • Sunshine by Robin McKinley, 405 pages. Urban Fantasy - Vampires. After escaping a team of vampires, a baker teams up with another vampire to fight back. Interesting worldbuilding, but it took fifty pages of exposition before anything happened. I'm glad I powered through but this is the first book where I was surprised to find it on the NPR list. While a good story, it wasn't as good as Interview With the Vampire. Anne Rice, queen of vampire fiction, isn't on the NPR list at all. #92 on the NPR Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy.
  • The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury, 186 pages. Science Fiction - Short Stories. A collection of short stories from a prominent science fiction author. The stories were well done, and I really enjoyed Bradbury's prose. #91 on the NPR Top 100.

I'm currently listening to Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. I have the latest Seanan McGuire in her Wayward Children series, Beneath the Sugar Sky. I love this world, but I wish the books were longer. I also picked up The Wizard and the Prophet. Next on the Top 100 Science Fiction/Fantasy list is Elric of Melnibone and a re-read of Outlander

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 11

Yesterday I finally finished The Portrait of a Lady.   I had gotten rather hung up in the middle; once it became agonizingly clear that the heroine was determined to make a catastrophic mistake, it was almost too painful to keep reading.  But once the die was cast I read the final third in one fell swoop, carrying the book from room to room all Saturday afternoon and then staying up far too late to finish it.  Poor Isabel!  But what a brilliant book.  

• Like 12

Last week I did start and finish the newest book by David Lebovitz, L'Appart: The Delights and Disasters of Making My Paris Home. This is his most recent memoir and is mostly Disasters with very very few Delights. He buys an apartment in Paris that desperately needs renovating and somehow hires the king of scoundrels to be his contractor. It is one bad decision on top of the other and it ended up being a stressful read. I was disappointed overall as I had read and loved his earlier book, The Sweet Life in Paris. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34347751-l-appart

I read L'Appart a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it but in reading your description I realized that yes, it was a bit of a stressful read. So many challenges.

• Like 9

I fell off the posting wagon a couple of weeks ago. I'm always reading but for some reason I don't always make it here to record what I've been reading :)

Some of what I've finished:

Screen Schooled by Joe Clement and Matt Miles—Two Veteran Teachers Expose How Technology Overuse is Making Our Kids Dumber

168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think by Laura Vanderkam (reread)

The Quarterback Whisperer: How to Build an Elite NFL Quarterback by Bruce Arians

L'Appart by David Lebovitz

All-American Murder: The Rise and Fall of Aaron Hernandez, The Superstar Whose Life Ended on Murderers' Rowby James Patterson, Alex Abramovich, and Mike Harvkey

I really enjoyed all of the above except Screen Schooled. While I get the authors' premise, I don't think they made a very good case with the examples they used. 

Currently working through:

Deep Work by Cal Newport

The Checklist Manifesto—by Atul Gawande

• Like 13

My IRL February book club choice is The Almost Sisters, which I’m not terribly excited about, but we’ll see. I think my February classic is going to be The Hunchback of Notre Dame, since I am planning to go to France in March and want to read some Hugo. I have never read this one before, so if anyone has any tips for getting the most out of it, I’m all ears. I expect to get it on Audible, because it’s a chunkster and I want to get some knitting done while I “readâ€. I also want to read a foodie book about France, if anyone has a title to recommend. :)

It's been years since I visited France and one day I'd like to return. There was a time where DH was traveling a lot so we used points to fly to Paris and stay in a hotel. He wanted to visit all the museums. I wanted to visit all the patisseries.

My Life in France by Julia Child! Warning: I was very disappointed with the "nice" restaurants in Paris because the food was underseasoned and greasy. The food from cafes and patisseries was fantastic.

The Sweet Life in Paris by David Leibovitz. I haven't actually read this book, but I adore Leibovitz's blog and his recipes. I followed his list for the top ten macaron shops and he didn't steer me wrong. He has a handy list of his favorite Paris restaurants which he didn't have when I visited the city.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 15

Yesterday I finally finished The Portrait of a Lady.   I had gotten rather hung up in the middle; once it became agonizingly clear that the heroine was determined to make a catastrophic mistake, it was almost too painful to keep reading.  But once the die was cast I read the final third in one fell swoop, carrying the book from room to room all Saturday afternoon and then staying up far too late to finish it.  Poor Isabel!  But what a brilliant book.

Apparently someone recently wrote a sequel. The NYRB gave it a rave review. It sounded dreadful.
  • Like 6

I also want to read a foodie book about France, if anyone has a title to recommend. :)

And I’m planning to send out some France postcards to my BAWers when I go. :)

I wanted to second Erin's recs - The Sweet Life by David Lebovitz and My Life in France by Julia Child. They are both great reads!! 

and what are you knitting? I'm a knitter, too. :)

SaveSave

• Like 10

Popping in to ask if any of you who read Annihilation are looking forward to the movie?  When I read it I felt like it was one of those rare--for me--books that could make a better movie.  http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/annihilation-first-reviews-alex-garland-natalie-portman-1201926330/

Courtesy of one of those lists someone here shared about great reads for 2018, I just finished Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson (teen/YA mystery) and really enjoyed it!  It's a series or trilogy and I will continue.

Next up: The Fire Sermon by Francesca Haig (first in post-apocalyptic trilogy)

• Like 8

I wanted to second Erin's recs - The Sweet Life by David Lebovitz and My Life in France by Julia Child. They are both great reads!!

and what are you knitting? I'm a knitter, too. :)

Save

Save

I loom-knit. Today I was working on (and completed) a cowl in a navy yarn with bronze and copper metallic threads throughout. It turned out so nicely! But my bigger project I am working on is a Ginny Weasley scrap yarn quilt. In the Harry Potter movies, Ron Weasley has a quilt that his mother would have knitted from her stash. So, my concept is that this would be the quilt Molly Weasley would make for her only daughter. :) The patterns are very similar to the Ron Weasley quilt, but the yarns are girlier.

• Like 10

The Olympics are going to seriously mess up my reading time. Posting late because I wanted to get a book finished for the week, and can now say I finished SWB's Rethinking School. We're done with the homeschool journey, but I'm always interested in education ideas, so I still enjoyed the read. And subbing this year (mostly as an educational assistant), I am seeing challenges in our local public schools. Sometimes I work with a student and think, "this one would really benefit from homeschooling." And then I remember that others would "fix" some homeschoolers' problems by putting them in school! I like that SWB shows that there are many ways to educate your children and if you need to have them in school, there are things you can do to make it work best for your family.

My book pile is growing. I'll be working on A Gentleman In Moscow which I need to get back to the library in 10 days, then I've got a couple of new (not library!) books to enjoy.

• Like 11

Yesterday I finally finished The Portrait of a Lady. I had gotten rather hung up in the middle; once it became agonizingly clear that the heroine was determined to make a catastrophic mistake, it was almost too painful to keep reading. But once the die was cast I read the final third in one fell swoop, carrying the book from room to room all Saturday afternoon and then staying up far too late to finish it. Poor Isabel! But what a brilliant book.

I agree :)

I read the book last year and I remember sometimes I kept my breath almost too long... :)

I wish more books were like this !

• Like 8

I missed all your interesting links while you were gone!

[Rubs hands with glee ....]

A Fairytale Queen   by Susan Fraser King

"Susan here, lately doing some research for a project that’s been simmering for a while. Some of it crisscrosses the research I did for Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland (btw, on sale in e-book this week for $1.99!). A great deal is known about her, almost more than any other medieval queen of her era—which, for writing fiction, is both good and a challenge, with so many historical facts to be spun into fiction. Princess, refugee, queen, mother, and later saint—she was one of the rare medieval royals with a biography written by her personal confessor, Bishop Turgot, an Englishman who clearly admired and understood her, and loved her as a friend—and he left a gold mine of information and inspiration for a writer. Turgot idealized his beloved friend as well, recording not only detailed information, but creating some of her most enduring mythology as well. ..."

Some Five Books About columns from Tor.com:

Five Faerie Books for People Who Hate Faeries  by Holly Black

Five Books About Fighting For Broken Worlds  by Marie Lu

Five Books in Which Magic Has Consequences  by Melissa Albert

Five Sci-Fi Books That Are More Relevant Now Than Ever  by Michael Moreci

Five SF Novels About Sheep  by Robert Kroese

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

I spent too long researching everyone’s book titles and so i'm just going to quickly post our Rebel Bus reading/listening week ahead:

Started reading:

·        Casualty of War: Bess Crawford Bk 8 ~ Charles Todd  WWI.  Suffolk, England

Currently listening to:

·        Hickory Dickory Dock ~ Agatha Christie (1955)  London, England

·        The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic - and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World ~ Steven Johnson   N/F (epukapuka)

• Like 10

I finished last night: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

and I think it is a perfect book for dd, so thanks for the recommendation!

I could not hold my attention on it, but finished it nevertheles.

Not a cooking cozy but the best that was available. Generally I enjoy Flavia and am wondering if the translation into Dutch took away a bit of the charm because Sweetness was probably the best one in the series! ;). The end feeling was right because you are comfortably giving it to your dd. I think a good cozy is one that I would have happily given to my dd at about 15.

[Rubs hands with glee ....]

A Fairytale Queen by Susan Fraser King

"Susan here, lately doing some research for a project that’s been simmering for a while. Some of it crisscrosses the research I did for Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland (btw, on sale in e-book this week for $1.99!). A great deal is known about her, almost more than any other medieval queen of her era—which, for writing fiction, is both good and a challenge, with so many historical facts to be spun into fiction. Princess, refugee, queen, mother, and later saint—she was one of the rare medieval royals with a biography written by her personal confessor, Bishop Turgot, an Englishman who clearly admired and understood her, and loved her as a friend—and he left a gold mine of information and inspiration for a writer. Turgot idealized his beloved friend as well, recording not only detailed information, but creating some of her most enduring mythology as well. ..."[/size]

**[/size]

Some Five Books About columns from Tor.com:[/size]

Five Faerie Books for People Who Hate Faeries by Holly Black

Five Books About Fighting For Broken Worlds by Marie Lu

Five Books in Which Magic Has Consequences by Melissa Albert

Five Sci-Fi Books That Are More Relevant Now Than Ever by Michael Moreci

Five SF Novels About Sheep by Robert Kroese

Regards,

Kareni

So happy to have your lists back! I had a great time reading them this morning.

?

The Olympics are going to seriously mess up my reading time. Posting late because I wanted to get a book finished for the week, and can now say I finished SWB's Rethinking School. We're done with the homeschool journey, but I'm always interested in education ideas, so I still enjoyed the read. And subbing this year (mostly as an educational assistant), I am seeing challenges in our local public schools. Sometimes I work with a student and think, "this one would really benefit from homeschooling." And then I remember that others would "fix" some homeschoolers' problems by putting them in school! I like that SWB shows that there are many ways to educate your children and if you need to have them in school, there are things you can do to make it work best for your family.

My book pile is growing. I'll be working on A Gentleman In Moscow which I need to get back to the library in 10 days, then I've got a couple of new (not library!) books to enjoy.

I really need to read Rethinking School. I keep reading everyone's perspectives on it and a small part of my brain has been chanting but you are done, so why read another home ed book. My love for SWB was the only motivating factor but you somehow convinced me I might just enjoy it. ;) In the next coupe of months I will read it.

Onto the Olympics..... Not stalking you but I read some of the Olympic thread and noticed you are a Hamilton fan also. He is wonderful and has a new book out called Finish First https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35540971-finish-first?ac=1&from_search=true which is on my list just because it's Scott Hamilton. What a true gentlemen. I am curious about what he has to say on this topic.

I loom-knit. Today I was working on (and completed) a cowl in a navy yarn with bronze and copper metallic threads throughout. It turned out so nicely! But my bigger project I am working on is a Ginny Weasley scrap yarn quilt. In the Harry Potter movies, Ron Weasley has a quilt that his mother would have knitted from her stash. So, my concept is that this would be the quilt Molly Weasley would make for her only daughter. :) The patterns are very similar to the Ron Weasley quilt, but the yarns are girlier.

A friend just made a knitted quilt which I love. I knit and quilt so it's tempting. I hope you plan to show us when you finish!

I'm re-reading a collection of Father Brown stories. It's taking forever because the font is so small. I will move onto an Agatha Christie with larger font very soon. ;)

You probably know the answer to one of my location questions....Do the Father Brown books give an actual location. I skimmed an couldn't find one. Also hate small print ;)

You were missed. :grouphug:

Last week was a "catch-up" week for the NPR Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy list. I suspect I may be doing several of these over the year.

Books finished last week:

• The Caves of Steel (Robot #1) by Isaac Asimov, 270 pages. Science Fiction. A police detective pairs up with a robot to find a murderer. Asimov explores his favorite subject - The Three Laws of Robotics. #94 on the NPR List.
  • A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge, 613 pages. Science Fiction. Two children navigate the perils of an alien culture while a dangerous menace that destroyed their home world searches the galaxy for them. #93 on the NPR List.
  • The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee, 19.5 hours. Biology. A history of genetics from Aristotle to the present day, the current status of genetic research, and the perils and benefits of gene science in the future. If you enjoy reading or listening to science books, I highly, highly recommend this one. At times funny, other times tragic. Much of the information was familiar, but Mukherjee's writing is engaging.
  • Sunshine by Robin McKinley, 405 pages. Urban Fantasy - Vampires. After escaping a team of vampires, a baker teams up with another vampire to fight back. Interesting worldbuilding, but it took fifty pages of exposition before anything happened. I'm glad I powered through but this is the first book where I was surprised to find it on the NPR list. While a good story, it wasn't as good as Interview With the Vampire. Anne Rice, queen of vampire fiction, isn't on the NPR list at all. #92 on the NPR Top 100 Sci-Fi/Fantasy.
  • The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury, 186 pages. Science Fiction - Short Stories. A collection of short stories from a prominent science fiction author. The stories were well done, and I really enjoyed Bradbury's prose. #91 on the NPR Top 100.
I'm currently listening to Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. I have the latest Seanan McGuire in her Wayward Children series, Beneath the Sugar Sky. I love this world, but I wish the books were longer. I also picked up The Wizard and the Prophet. Next on the Top 100 Science Fiction/Fantasy list is Elric of Melnibone and a re-read of Outlander.

I wouldn't put Sunshine in the top 100 either. It was good but not that exceptional.

My hold on the latest Wayward Children appeared last night. At some point I will need to hop off the Brit trip bus to read it!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 13

Not a cooking cozy but the best that was available. Generally I enjoy Flavia and am wondering if the translation into Dutch took away a bit of the charm because Sweetness was probably the best one in the series! ;). The end feeling was right because you are comfortably giving it to your dd. I think a good cozy is one that I would have happily given to my dd at about 15.

it!

I think dd will be very charmed by the book.

It is just my brains that if they are not grabbed by a book I have problems to focus on it. Specially at the end of the day.

The book reminded me of Lindgrens: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editions/2492436-m-sterdetektiven-blomkvist

The Dutch Title of Sweetness is something like ‘taste of virulence/venom’ which makes sense to me, but I am not sure I understand the English title :)

• Like 4

I also want to read a foodie book about France, if anyone has a title to recommend. :)

Not really a foodie book, but one I enjoyed before our trip to Paris two years ago was The Only Street in Paris by Elaine Sciolino. 

It is just my brains that if they are not grabbed by a book I have problems to focus on it. Specially at the end of the day.

The book reminded me of Lindgrens: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editions/2492436-m-sterdetektiven-blomkvist

The Dutch Title of Sweetness is something like ‘taste of virulence/venom’ which makes sense to me, but I am not sure I understand the English title :)

I didn’t love The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie when I read it. Flavia was too quirky for me or something. But then I tried again a few years later with the next books in the series and really liked them. Sometime it’s just right book, wrong time. 

I think the title comes from a quote..."Unless some sweetness at the bottom lie, who cares for all the crinkling of the pie.†The book says it’s by William King from "The Art of Cookeryâ€, written in 1709. I think it’s saying that it doesn’t matter how something looks on the outside, it’s what’s inside that matters. 

I went away this weekend to a hotel alone for my annual birthday “reading retreatâ€. I read three books and caught up on my stack of New Yorkers. 

I finished Pachinko by MIn Jin Lee. I also read Augustown by Kei Miller. The interesting thing about reading them both was that they both underlined to me how much of the world I am ignorant of. Pachinko is all about Koreans living in Japan. I had no idea of the attitude of the Japanese towards Koreans in their country or the complexities of those relationships. And Augustown was a similar experience. 

I also read The Screwtape Letters, which I am having my son read for school. 

Last week I also read The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright for my daughter’s book club. It’s one of my favorites from childhood so was a super fun re-read. 

Up next....Admissions by Henry Marsh (British neurosurgeon). I also was given Kristen Hannah’s new book The Great Alone for my birthday so that’s on the stack as well as Rethinking School. And I just remembered after reading this thread that my book club meets Friday night and we’re reading A Portrait of a Lady. It’s a fairly recent re-read for me so I think I’ll likely just skim it since I have so many other things I want to read. 

• Like 12

I looked up the quote which I believe is what the title originates from back when I read it. Just found it again......the full quote is "Unless some sweetness at the bottom of the pie lie, who cares for all the crinkling of the pie". Which is essentially saying if the pie isn't sweet it doesn't matter what it looks like! My fil used to say something pretty similar when I baked for him to remind me to add an extra cup of sugar to his pies so the quote was a familiar one. My pies are never attractive but he made sure they were sweet!

The English version of the title imo refers to Flavia's ability to find the good in her life which on the surface is a sad one. So her pie is ugly but tastes nice.....She searches for sweet things along with her need for the truth(the venom, I guess). The Dutch version's title seems to have a different emphasis because it is referring to the venom primarily. Not as optimistic?

The Lindgrin book looks great but I couldn't find it in English. I am tempted to try and find a German translation for dh and dd.

Eta..I was writing when Alice posted. Glad to see she has the same quote!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6

I love books about the Tudors and immerse myself periodically. I am currently listening to a Fiona Buckley series which could be so much better which sent me hunting for something better. I ran into a great booklist http://thetudorenthusiast.weebly.com/tudor-books.html. So many great ideas! I have spent a huge amount of time going through this list and could spend several more hours.

Amy, you must look........

• Like 10

Popping in to ask if any of you who read Annihilation are looking forward to the movie?  When I read it I felt like it was one of those rare--for me--books that could make a better movie.  http://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/annihilation-first-reviews-alex-garland-natalie-portman-1201926330/

I have to say that I didn't love Annihilation but I can definitely see that it would be a better movie than book.  

I'm almost done Prisoners of Geography and then I want to read some fiction!  And also find some more time to read.  The latter will likely be more of a challenge.

• Like 5

I didn’t love The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie when I read it. Flavia was too quirky for me or something. But then I tried again a few years later with the next books in the series and really liked them. Sometime it’s just right book, wrong time. 

I think the title comes from a quote..."Unless some sweetness at the bottom lie, who cares for all the crinkling of the pie.†The book says it’s by William King from "The Art of Cookeryâ€, written in 1709. I think it’s saying that it doesn’t matter how something looks on the outside, it’s what’s inside that matters. 

I looked up the quote which I believe is what the title originates from back when I read it. Just found it again......the full quote is "Unless some sweetness at the bottom of the pie lie, who cares for all the crinkling of the pie". Which is essentially saying if the pie isn't sweet it doesn't matter what it looks like! My fil used to say something pretty similar when I baked for him to remind me to add an extra cup of sugar to his pies so the quote was a familiar one. My pies are never attractive but he made sure they were sweet!

The English version of the title imo refers to Flavia's ability to find the good in her life which on the surface is a sad one. So her pie is ugly but tastes nice.....She searches for sweet things along with her need for the truth(the venom, I guess). The Dutch version's title seems to have a different emphasis because it is referring to the venom primarily. Not as optimistic?

The Lindgrin book looks great but I couldn't find it in English. I am tempted to try and find a German translation for dh and dd.

Eta..I was writing when Alice posted. Glad to see she has the same quote!

Thank you both!

The dutch title is pretty negative. More like Favlia tastes the bad side of life.

Also more linked to all the chemistry and posion aspects of the story.

So definetly not sweet and pieish!

Momof2

The book We own is a triology I think these are the individual titles:

https://www.bookdepository.com/Master-Detective-Kalle-Blomkvist-Mystery-Astrid-Lindgren/9780192749277?ref=grid-view&qid=1518450986100&sr=1-55

https://www.bookdepository.com/Kalle-Blomkvist-Mystery-Living-Dangerously-Astrid-Lindgren/9780192749291?ref=pd_detail_1_sims_b_p2p_1

https://www.bookdepository.com/Kalle-Blomkvist-Mystery-White-Rose-Rescue-Astrid-Lindgren/9780192749314?ref=pd_detail_1_sims_b_p2p_1

We read Lindgren in Dutch or German not in English ;)

These books are not for sensitive children, with real dead bodies and real criminals.

But very enjoyable about endless long summers :)

• Like 8

A Room with a View by E. M. Forster 

"One of English literature’s most inspiring love stories

Lucy Honeychurch is a young woman torn between the opposing values of gray old England and vibrant Italy in this unforgettable story of romance and rebellion. On a trip to Florence with her older cousin and chaperone, Lucy becomes enchanted by a freedom unlike any she has known at home. The excitement she feels when she is with George Emerson, a fellow boarder at the Pension Bertolini, is as exhilarating as it is confusing, and their intoxicating kiss in a field of violets threatens to turn her whole world upside down. Back at Windy Corner, her family’s Surrey estate, Lucy must finally decide if the power of passion is greater than the force of expectation.

Widely recognized as one of the finest novels of the twentieth century, A Room with a View is E. M. Forster’s most hopeful work and a truly timeless romance."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I have lagged on my postings...

Here's my basket for the week:

My Outlander Binge Read

Dragonfly in Amber, Diana Gabaldon (audio)

Voyager, Diana Gabaldon

A Darkness Absolute, Kelly Armstrong

The Daughters of Ireland, Santa Montefiore

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Amy Chua 

Have a New Kid by Friday, Dr. Kevin Leman

And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie, and will pair with 10:  Murder Island, Gretchen McNeil (ya novel), read both, watch both with dd

• Like 12

One book finished this week, and progress on others. 

I completed my London/Scotland yard read with The Man in the Queue.  Josephine Tey was my mother's favorite author - the only books she kept till she died were her ratty thrift-store paperbacks of pretty much everything written by her. I'd never read anything but Brat Farrar till now.  I have mixed feelings about The Man in the Queue, but am in the mood to continue on with Inspector Grant - I expect he and his story will improve as time goes on, eh?  So I might be staying on in London a little longer, though I did request one of Mumto2's Huntingdonshire books from the library.

I'm struggling to read my chapter-per-day of War and Peace. The war bits are just dull for me. But the chapters are short and it's good discipline.

1.  A Christmas Party (Heyer)

2.  Closed Casket (Sophie Hannah)

3.  No Wind of Blame (Heyer)

4.  The Namesake (Jhumpa Lahiri)

5.  The Convenient Marriage (Heyer)

6.  Quick Service (Wodehouse)

7.  Claire of the Sea Light (Edwidge Danticat)

8.  Footsteps in the Dark (Heyer)

9.  Lydia Cassatt Reading the Morning Paper (Harriett Scott Chessman)

10. Ghostwalk (Rebecca Stott) -- Cambridgeshire

11. The Black House (Peter May)

12. The Man in the Queue (Tey) - London/Scotland Yard

Edited by marbel
  • Like 14