Menu

Korean resources

I'm aiming to put together a study related to Korea.

Some books related to the Korean War or Korean history in general would be fabulous. We really like narrative non-fiction and also novels based on history.

I'm thinking about When My Name Was Keoko.  Has anyone used this?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks  :)

High Schoolish

Korea by Won-bok Rhie

A Korean History for International Readers by The Association of Korean History Teachers
Culture Shock: A Guide to Customs and Etiquette by Sonja and Ben Seunghwa Hur

Middle Schoolish

Korean History: A Beginner's Guide by Kim Te-gyu and Kevin N. Cawley

When My Name was Keoko by Linda Sue Park
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

Korean Heritage Series by Korean Overseas Service ROK

Sunset in a Spider Web adapted by Virginia Olson Baron from translations by Chung Seuk Park
Land of Morning Calm: Korean Culture Then and Now by John Stickler
I Remember Korea by by Linda Granfield and Russell Freedman

Elementaryish

King Munmu of Silla by Edward Adams
The KIng's Secret: The Legend of King Sejong by Carol Farley
Tigers, Frogs, and Rice Cakes: A Book of Korean Proverbs translated by Daniel D. Holt

New Clothes for New Years's Day by Hyun-Ju Bae

Tales of a Korean Grandmother by Frances Carpenter

The Korean Cinderella by Shirley Climo
The Rabbit and The Dragon King by Daniel San Scouci
Korean Children's Favorite Folk Tales by Peter Hyun

Behind the Mask by Yangsook Choi
Korean Children's Favorite Stories by Kim So-un
The Green Frogs by Yumi Heo
The Firekeeper's Son by Linda Sue Park
The Rabbit's Judgment by Yumi Heo
Sir Whong and The Golden Pig by Oki S. Han

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 3

While this isn't a resource but an idea that my son loved when he studied Korea around that age...take an hour or two and learn the Korean alphabet and the history of its development. He not only still talks about that but can still easily sound out Korean words even if he doesn't know what it means.

We also studied the customs and normal everyday life of kids in Korea. Their school life, home dynamics, things like street food, mahnwa, even preschool songs that are common (The Three Bears for example which he still remembers how to sing and impressed a Korean girl he dated ;) )

• Like 1

While this isn't a resource but an idea that my son loved when he studied Korea around that age...take an hour or two and learn the Korean alphabet and the history of its development. He not only still talks about that but can still easily sound out Korean words even if he doesn't know what it means.

We also studied the customs and normal everyday life of kids in Korea. Their school life, home dynamics, things like street food, mahnwa, even preschool songs that are common (The Three Bears for example which he still remembers how to sing and impressed a Korean girl he dated ;) )

My daughter is actually learning Korean as a language and loves it  :)

I'm not sure if she's learnt anything about the history of the characters/alphabet, though. That sounds great. Can you please let me know what resources you used for that?

Thanks heaps for your help!

You could introduce her to Korean Dramas.  Some are historical fiction.  My favorite is Dae Jang Geum ... or the English title, Jewel in the Palace.  It was available on the Drama Fever website the last time I checked, but that's been a long time ago.  Just beware that this particular show is a bit time consuming.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would never have thought to look for something like that.

Is the one you mentioned family friendly?

My daughter is actually learning Korean as a language and loves it :)

I'm not sure if she's learnt anything about the history of the characters/alphabet, though. That sounds great. Can you please let me know what resources you used for that?

Thanks heaps for your help!

I wish I could remember, it was ages ago. I believe it was during the 4th dynasty but Sejong the Great created the alphabet because so many people were illiterate and at that time, they were still using classic Chinese alphabet which was so challenging to use. He got push back from intellectuals essentially saying the language was being dumbed down and a saying that equated to "an idiot can learn this alphabet in 10 days" became associated with it. It was actually this that made is accessible by women and fiction story writers of the day. It caught on. It is called "Hangul" now but had a different name originally I cannot remember. It translated roughly to "the right sounds of the people for their teaching"

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion. I would never have thought to look for something like that.

Is the one you mentioned family friendly?

You can get no more family friendly than Korean dramas made before 2012. Pretty much all of them are lovely and squeaky clean. Jewel in the Palace is a blast. My son loved the fictional Korean drama "Goong" also known as "Palace" but be warned...once you start watching them you will never stop :) I have been watching K-dramas for 17 years. They are awesome!

• Like 3

Do you have a Netflix account?

I'm not familiar with the books on Korean history and culture that are translated in English or the Korean language resources for foreign learners, but I can recommend a few Korean movies and dramas/tv shows with English subtitles on Netflix that seem informative and appropriate for a 12-year-old.

Reply 1997 - drama on South Korean students' life in the late 90s

Reply 1994

Solomon's Perjury

How to Steal a Dog 

Abnormal Summit - Foreigners living in South Korea debate on Korean culture and other multi-cultural topics. 

2015 Dream Concert - if interested in K-pop

And here are some romantic comedy dramas, historical/political fictions, and action movies for adults that are worth watching;

Assassination

Luck Key

Stranger

Train to Busan 

Descendants of the Sun

Oh My Ghost

Let's Eat 1, 2

In Need of Romance 1, 2, 3

Can We Get Married?

Misaeng

Inside Men

Master

A Violent Prosecutor

The Age of Shadows

The Prison

Tunnel

The Tiger

The President's Barber

Operation Chromite

Bad Guys

Nine

Old Boy

These are currently available on Netflix. Too bad some good ones got removed... there should be more options on DramaFever and Viki. 

Edited by Moon
  • Like 1

Do you have a Netflix account?

I'm not familiar with the books on Korean history and culture that are translated in English or the Korean language resources for foreign learners, but I can recommend a few Korean movies and dramas/tv shows with English subtitles on Netflix that seem informative and appropriate for a 12-year-old.

Reply 1997 - drama on South Korean students' life in the late 90s

Reply 1994

Solomon's Perjury

How to Steal a Dog 

Abnormal Summit - Foreigners living in South Korea debate on Korean culture and other multi-cultural topics. 

2015 Dream Concert - if interested in K-pop

And here are some romantic comedy dramas, historical/political fictions, and action movies for adults that are worth watching;

Assassination

Luck Key

Stranger

Train to Busan 

Descendants of the Sun

Oh My Ghost

Let's Eat 1, 2

In Need of Romance 1, 2, 3

Can We Get Married?

Misaeng

Inside Men

Master

A Violent Prosecutor

The Age of Shadows

The Prison

Tunnel

The Tiger

The President's Barber

Operation Chromite

Bad Guys

Nine

Old Boy

These are currently available on Netflix. Too bad some good ones got removed... there should be more options on DramaFever and Viki. 

Thank you for the suggestions  :)

We have Australian Netflix. I'm not sure how much this varies to yours, but we'll go looking for these for sure. Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Another historical fiction book is Year of Impossible Goodbyes by Sook Nyul Choi. It covers the end of the Japanese occupation and the beginning of Communism in North Korea. The subject matter is somber but it is written for middle grades.

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Thank you so much for the suggestion. It sounds perfect as a follow up to Keoko.