Menu

Who has the scoop on the Russian School of Mathematics?

Gil

My kid did a couple of other math groups, and we never tried RSM, but it is popular in our area. Of the 9 students in my kid's 8th grade geometry  class, 6 have been going to RSM for years. My kid says that the RSM kids report that they dislike going to the program, but do it because their parents expect it. 

I can't open this article right now because I am over the 10-per-month limit, but I recall it discussing the RSM program:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2012/01/22/are-after-school-math-centers-really-worth-money/l33gwZ3YTz7upb77uYyEiK/story.html

Many of my friends kids are taking or have taken classes in the past. RSM does math the old russian way. That means not only the material is quite advanced for kids age, but also many of the teachers are from that part of the world. Those teachers are quite knowledgeable in math and demand that the students learn the math. The group of people that stay with RSM is quite self-selecting, it is quite comprised of either very smart kids and/or kids with very dedicated parents. I have seen a lot of kids drop out. I haven't sent my kids but I would make them try it if they had the time. As it is my kids already do too many activities so no RSM for them :)

They recently(ish) opened a branch here in Manhattan, and we visited it a few weeks back.  The classes are very large - 17-23 kids.  I also saw a lot of disorderliness during transitions. One kid was flipping a light switch on and off and the teacher threatened, "I'll give your homework a B- if you keep doing that!"  We had my 8yo assessed and the assessment was very perfunctory. Overall we were turned off.  I was expecting smaller classes and an overall calmer atmosphere.  Maybe other centers are more well run. I know it is very popular in Boston (from where it originated).

We just started going to the brand new Houston location.  The woman who runs the program is really energetic and enthusiastic.  We had our first class last week and are signing up for the session.  My 6 year-old is attending the accelerated 2nd grade group.  His Montessori school last year allowed him to go as fast as he wanted to, but his current elementary school follows a much more regimented plan, and he is getting frustrated.  I work with him at home on BA 2A, which he enjoys, but having an expert to challenge him is fantastic.  He was so excited that he was skipping around the room.