What's with the ads?

#1 happysmileylady

happysmileylady

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4643 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

We went to the zoo today!  Animals in winter. 

First....it's always a good idea to call ahead to make sure that what you want to see is actually there.  We were there to see animals in winter, and also intended to see the polar bear and the penguins since they are animals that live in polar regions.   Yeah...apparently the polar bear left the zoo a year ago and was not replaced....and the penguins exhibit is being renovated.  Doh!  We did get to see other animals, and got to talk about some of the animals that were NOT out, specifically because of the cold. 

Second...the best part was there was NO ONE there.  We walked into the oceans area and they have a "pet a shark" exhibit.  We have been there in the past but there are usually so many kids kids and people in the area that I have to keep the kids "on a tight leash" so to speak, so that I don't lose one in the sea of kids.  That can make it difficult for them to actually get to the shark pool.  Today....it was totally empty.  They could go to where the sharks were surfacing instead of waiting to try to see if the sharks would come to them.  Plus there was a zoo employee there and with no one else there the employee was only too happy to answer all my kids questions.  With the language issues DD7 has, it can take some time and patience to have a conversation with her...which this employee had plenty of both of.

Third, compared to a regular school field trip they are SO MUCH easier.  I have done many a regular school field trip, both as a parent volunteer and a teacher.  So much of a regular school field trip is spent on kid wrangling.  "Cody don't touch that!  Kayla, get down!  Baylee, the lady is talking, you need to pay attention to her.  Cody, I said don't touch that!"  It makes it very difficult ensure the kids actually achieve the objective of the trip.  With just my 3 kids and I, there's still a little bit of kid wrangling, but SO much less and it's much easier to discuss the reasons we are there. 

And finally, being on our own timetable was great.

We need to do more field trips lol. 

• SusanC, mom2scouts, daijobu and 4 others like this

#2 Jackie

Jackie

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2569 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

I love homeschool field trips! We go somewhere or another at least once a week. Last week was Legoland. This week was the science museum. No idea what we’ll do next week, but the week after is whale watching.

School year travel is also awesome. Places are so much less crowded!
  • MrsRobinson and fralala like this

#3 fralala

fralala

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

I totally agree! This also inspires me to bundle up and take the kids to the zoo sometime before spring.

• MrsRobinson and texasmom33 like this

#4 Farrar

Farrar

Expert Cat Herder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22845 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:21 AM

The zoo is walking distance  from our house. When my kids were younger, we were there once a week in winter. The animals are genuinely different in their behaviors. Some of them love the cold. It's super empty. And... Amazon House in winter! Nothing better.

• MrsRobinson likes this

#5 blondeviolin

blondeviolin

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4684 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:25 PM

If it's too busy, my kids have been known to roll their eyes and ask to come back when everyone is back in school.
  • Grover, MrsRobinson and SumSum like this

#6 SusanC

SusanC

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:39 PM

On Friday we went to the obscure museum down the road that covers a historical incident apropos to both our American and world history strands (they more or less line up at this point in their respective cycles). We had it to ourselves. It was very low stress.
  • MrsRobinson likes this

#7 alisoncooks

alisoncooks

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5617 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

If it's too busy, my kids have been known to roll their eyes and ask to come back when everyone is back in school.

Yep. My girls and I have been spoiled by low crowds. We've been known to mutter grumpily if there are activity buses at our destination. :p
  • daijobu and MrsRobinson like this

#8 daijobu

daijobu

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2560 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:06 PM

Second...the best part was there was NO ONE there.  We walked into the oceans area and they have a "pet a shark" exhibit.  We have been there in the past but there are usually so many kids kids and people in the area that I have to keep the kids "on a tight leash" so to speak, so that I don't lose one in the sea of kids.  That can make it difficult for them to actually get to the shark pool.  Today....it was totally empty.  They could go to where the sharks were surfacing instead of waiting to try to see if the sharks would come to them.  Plus there was a zoo employee there and with no one else there the employee was only too happy to answer all my kids questions.  With the language issues DD7 has, it can take some time and patience to have a conversation with her...which this employee had plenty of both of.

You should try Disneyland...in October.  It's like they had the whole park reserved for us.  

• The Substitute is a Westie likes this

#9 shawthorne44

shawthorne44

More Kilts!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4281 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:13 PM

We once accidentally went the day the Dallas ISD 5th grade was doing their field trip at the Dallas Zoo.    I would not be surprised if my stress level did some permanent damage to my body.   The best thing about being there alone (almost) is that the kids can run ahead or hang behind (always staying within sight).  There is hardly any kid-wrangling to be done.   Just joy and freedom.   Second best thing is that the workers/volunteers are helpful and not stressed.   

• MrsRobinson likes this

#10 DesertBlossom

DesertBlossom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1697 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 08:56 AM

For various reasons, we aren't homeschooling this year and the field trips are what I miss most. We have done some fun ones. Even just being able to get out and go hiking fairly regularly. Every year we go to the County Fair free as a homeschool and this year I never even thought about the fair until it was over.