Menu

Where would you start in prodigy?

4KookieKids

I've been considering letting my older two start playing prodigy. I'm not sure if I should start them at the "grade" that corresponds to their current math curriculum or perhaps a bit earlier, so maybe it'll be good review and a bit easier for them initially. Any thoughts?

Edited by 4kookiekids

I would put them at the grade level they are working at. Prodigy is just for practicing skills anyways, it takes you through an assessment to identify areas of mastery and areas of weakness and is designed to be adaptive. FWIW, when I put mine in a 5th grade last year when he was doing SM5/BA4, it ended up assessing him at 6th grade. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1

When they start playing, the first however many questions in the game are an integrated assessment for placement. You could start there and see where it places them.

My daughter placed into 8th grade, and I just left it. Then it started giving her a bunch of problem types she’d never seen before. Sometimes she just had me give a quick explanation, but eventually she got frustrated and asked me to override the grade level, so I did. It ended up set a grade level above where she is working in Beast Academy, and that seems to fit well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When they start playing, the first however many questions in the game are an integrated assessment for placement. You could start there and see where it places them.

My daughter placed into 8th grade, and I just left it. Then it started giving her a bunch of problem types she’d never seen before. Sometimes she just had me give a quick explanation, but eventually she got frustrated and asked me to override the grade level, so I did. It ended up set a grade level above where she is working in Beast Academy, and that seems to fit well.

Good call on the override option. My 6 year old has been getting really frustrated with all the grade 4 and 5 questions. Thanks for letting me know it was an option! (Particularly because it wasn't with the parent account I started off with, so I had to do some digging - which I only did because I already knew it should be available somehow!) :)