Menu

Lukeion Muse on the Loose or Muse Re-Loosed

Did these with one of my kids. Loved them so much my next kid is enrolling.

Readings are well selected. They are not light but also were not overly burdensome. There was a weekly quiz over the readings plus material presented in class. Students had longer to work on the papers.

Thank you for the feedback.

With the papers, did you feel like the students got sufficient feedback to improve their writing?  Also, do you mind my asking the age of your child when they took the class?  I'm trying to get a sense if we're aiming for the right age.

Thank you again!

-Lisa

My son was 14/15 when he took the class.  Dr. Fisher is a great teacher and gives timely and constructive feedback.  It is a literature though not a writing class and my son is a strong writer; I cannot remember her commenting overly on grammar and mechanics.  She will give feedback in relation to the topic ( For example my son had to write a Greek comedy/tragedy based on a modern soap opera.  Her feedback dealt with style elements and set up of a Greek comedy and not how to write an essay).  Creativity definitely helps in this class which was probably the hardest part for my very straight laced and literal kid.  Greek literature can be crude and it very much went against his grain to use crude and flowery language.  We both very much enjoyed the class and still discuss some of the readings occasionally four years later.  It is a typical Lukeion class as far as rigor is concerned.   The quizzes do call for closer reading of the assignments.  He thought it was helpful that he was familiar with most of them before he took the class.

• Like 1

Thank you for the feedback.

With the papers, did you feel like the students got sufficient feedback to improve their writing? Also, do you mind my asking the age of your child when they took the class? I'm trying to get a sense if we're aiming for the right age.

Thank you again!

-Lisa

My older son was in 10th grade. He was a high level reader who had also done Lukeion Latin classes.

Papers did have a lot of feedback. Most of the feedback was conceptual and commenting on if the paper had met the requirements of the assignment. For example if it used elements of a Greek epic.

My younger son will also be 10th grade but is less experienced with writing.

I would not have a very young or immature or sensitive reader do this class. Greek and Roman writing tends toward lots of conflict, death, murder, envy and other human failings.

• Like 2

My son was 14/15 when he took the class. Dr. Fisher is a great teacher and gives timely and constructive feedback. It is a literature though not a writing class and my son is a strong writer; I cannot remember her commenting overly on grammar and mechanics. She will give feedback in relation to the topic ( For example my son had to write a Greek comedy/tragedy based on a modern soap opera. Her feedback dealt with style elements and set up of a Greek comedy and not how to write an essay). Creativity definitely helps in this class which was probably the hardest part for my very straight laced and literal kid. Greek literature can be crude and it very much went against his grain to use crude and flowery language. We both very much enjoyed the class and still discuss some of the readings occasionally four years later. It is a typical Lukeion class as far as rigor is concerned. The quizzes do call for closer reading of the assignments. He thought it was helpful that he was familiar with most of them before he took the class.

Loved that assignment. We still quote a line about someone being the "Sparta end of an Athens bound horse" that was in someone else's paper.

We are huge fans of Sue Fisher. So much so that all the other teachers are measured by "Sue Fisher" bar. :) Very few came in close. My daughter was just turned13 when she took it, of course I was concerned about overall load and the essays specifically. Mrs. Fisher said that her evaluation of my kid would be based just on her alone and on the progress she makes and, of course, she wouldn't expect her to perform on the level of a high school senior.

Her essay topics were super engaging and her feedback was really good. The reading load was substantial, essays were I think 4 per semester (can't remember now), so I considered that a "stretching" class. And stretch it did. I think it changed my daughter's whole perspective on what to expect from a high quality - excellent teacher class.

In fact it was Sue Fisher who recommended us Julia Denne (By the Onion Sea). Don't want to switch topics here, but Julia is definitely up there on the Mount Olympus along with Sue Fisher for my kiddo :)

• Like 1

We are huge fans of Sue Fisher. So much so that all the other teachers are measured by "Sue Fisher" bar. :) Very few came in close. My daughter was just turned13 when she took it, of course I was concerned about overall load and the essays specifically. Mrs. Fisher said that her evaluation of my kid would be based just on her alone and on the progress she makes and, of course, she wouldn't expect her to perform on the level of a high school senior.

Her essay topics were super engaging and her feedback was really good. The reading load was substantial, essays were I think 4 per semester (can't remember now), so I considered that a "stretching" class. And stretch it did. I think it changed my daughter's whole perspective on what to expect from a high quality - excellent teacher class.

In fact it was Sue Fisher who recommended us Julia Denne (By the Onion Sea). Don't want to switch topics here, but Julia is definitely up there on the Mount Olympus along with Sue Fisher for my kiddo :)

• Like 1

My older son was in 10th grade. He was a high level reader who had also done Lukeion Latin classes.

Papers did have a lot of feedback. Most of the feedback was conceptual and commenting on if the paper had met the requirements of the assignment. For example if it used elements of a Greek epic.

My younger son will also be 10th grade but is less experienced with writing.

I would not have a very young or immature or sensitive reader do this class. Greek and Roman writing tends toward lots of conflict, death, murder, envy and other human failings.

Sebastian, thank you so much for the extensive information and also for the link to your previous comments.

It looks like your comments from when your son took the course that you used this as a stand alone English class.  Would you have considered pairing it with another English class from another provider or would that be overkill?

Would you consider pairing it with one of the other Lukeion courses, either the vocabulary or grammar course?

Thank you again!

-Lisa

Pinkelement, thank you for your feedback.  It's very beneficial to hear what others experiences have been.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Sebastian, would (or did) you pair this with another English class from another online provider or would it be overkill?

How about pairing it with one of the other Lukeion courses, specifically grammar or vocabulary?

Thank you again for your thoughts!

-Lisa

Pinkelement, thank you for your feedback.  It's very beneficial to hear what others experiences have been.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Sebastian, would (or did) you pair this with another English class from another online provider or would it be overkill?

How about pairing it with one of the other Lukeion courses, specifically grammar or vocabulary?

Thank you again for your thoughts!

-Lisa

Depends what the English class is. I would call it more of an exposure to the Greek and Latin literature class and that would include poetry, plays, memoirs, speeches, philosophical works, historical accounts, even medical writings. 

It is not a class on mechanics of writing an essay, though the feedback the teacher provided was excellent.

So, yes, I would say it's a solid literature course, with a writing component. It would play beautifully if one did Ancient History along with it. That would be an excellent combo. 

I think we overlapped Latin Muse (second part of the class) with a Lukeion grammar course. But it wasn't to supplement it. 

We were planning on her starting Latin the next year and thought to get her grammar together.