Menu

We've been eagerly awaiting BA online. . .

La Condessa

My kids have been super excited.  I've been wondering how much to set aside from our charter funds to pay for it.  On their facebook page, BA said that a year of BA online will be roughly equivalent to one year of books--but I was thinking per family, and it sounds like that is per kid (though they may offer a small sibling discount).  Ugh.  Oldest dd has another year of BA, and youngest son will have one or two years before he's ready for it. We've all been looking forward to it, but that would add up very fast--maybe $1200+ over the next five years or so?  For an addendum to a $400+ (4 year) curriculum I've already purchased?  That's just not going to be a possibility.  They're going to be so disappointed.  :(

$10/month is acceptable for us as long as they can move through the curriculum at their own pace - so if we get through BA3 in 5 months, I don't want to have to pay for a whole year of BA, kwim?

I think I saw a while ago they were saying you could do memberships by the year or by the month.

. . . Oldest dd has another year of BA . . .

It doesn’t sound like it will be ready for him. They’ve said elsewhere that they intend to only release grades 3/4 this spring. Grades 2/5 are expected around the time that the grade 2 books are finished, and that’s not projected until next winter.

I think I heard someone mention that if you bought your books directly from AoPS and not elsewhere like Rainbow Resources there would be a discount?  Maybe I'm confused or making something up in my head, but I am about to buy more BA books and would like to order them with some stuff on Rainbow Resources so I get free shipping.

Yeah, I agree that it's a bummer. I get that the online stuff sounds super cool, but I already own all the guides that are out, which means that putting each additional child through BA only requires me to buy the practice books. And at a price that's roughly equivalent to a year and a half of online stuff, I know for sure we'll just stick with the books and skip the online stuff...

ETA: I have one kid in BA5 right now, one just starting BA2, and two more littles who will most likely go through it. I think it *might* be different for future folks, though, especially ones that have fewer kids. If you only have one kid, and are look at $400 in curriculum vs $480 for four years of BA online (and an AL may get through it in 2-3 years,  at a price that is then substantially cheaper than buying all the guide and practice books), then I think the online program and price might seem very enticing.

Edited by 4kookiekids

It doesn’t sound like it will be ready for him. They’ve said elsewhere that they intend to only release grades 3/4 this spring. Grades 2/5 are expected around the time that the grade 2 books are finished, and that’s not projected until next winter.

No, 5 is slated for some time this summer.  3 & 4 are April, and 2 is supposed to be sometime around or shortly after the level 2 books are all out.

Dd1 is halfway through 4, so I was figuring roughly from next school year.

I will say that we have had a harder time with math this year, in part because of using BA Online. Sacha has gotten frustrated on several occasions with having to re-do an entire section of problems because he didn't get enough stars to pass to the next section. 3 stars = you didn't miss any questions. 2 stars = you missed one question. 1 star = you missed two questions. If you miss three questions, you start the section again (I believe with problems that are similar to the ones you already saw vs. repeating the exact same problem. But, I am not sure about that.)

So, let's say there are 8 problems in a section and Sacha did the first five correctly (they get harder). If he misses the last three, he has to re-do the entire section, including the first 5 questions he did correctly (and some of these may have taken some time for him to get correct). With the books, if you get an answer correct, you always have a correct answer. With BA Online, he has felt frustration having to re-do the portions of sections that were originally correct.

Hopefully, that makes sense.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 5

I like the idea of repeating problems if too many are missed.  There were some pages where DD missed the point until the end of the problem set.  

That was me that said that they are thinking of offering a discount to those who bought through them.  That was from an email response to one of my questions.  It was also me that said that they would offer a monthly option, but that the monthly option would cost a lot more than Annual/12.   That was from the same email response.  I could tell that they hadn't had anything firmly decided yet.  

Unfortunately we already own most of BA3.  I bought the guides used here.  I think we might get one month of BA online when we finish each year as a review.  

One thing I still wonder about is if the online subscription is limited to a particular grade.  So, say your child is doing grade 3 online and finishes before the allotted time, could they start on grade 4 online?  

Another question, are they the same problems as in the practice book?   If they are then we might not bother.  

• Like 2

I think we might get one month of BA online when we finish each year as a review.

Hmmm. I like this idea!

Another question, are they the same problems as in the practice book?   If they are then we might not bother.

From the BA website: "BA Online will present a whole new collection of problems and puzzles that are not duplicated in the books. "

• Like 2

I like the idea of repeating problems if too many are missed.  There were some pages where DD missed the point until the end of the problem set.  

That was me that said that they are thinking of offering a discount to those who bought through them.  That was from an email response to one of my questions.  It was also me that said that they would offer a monthly option, but that the monthly option would cost a lot more than Annual/12.   That was from the same email response.  I could tell that they hadn't had anything firmly decided yet.  

Unfortunately we already own most of BA3.  I bought the guides used here.  I think we might get one month of BA online when we finish each year as a review.  

One thing I still wonder about is if the online subscription is limited to a particular grade.  So, say your child is doing grade 3 online and finishes before the allotted time, could they start on grade 4 online?  

So... The biggest question for me today is: Should I buy the books through AoPS or Rainbow Resources today? I am ready to purchase.  I also have Hands on Equations Verbal Problems in the cart which I'm anxious to look at. Do you think it will be a substantial discount? Or would the book/s I've already purchased through AoPS be enough to qualify if they were to offer a discount in the future of BA Online.

I think this is a great idea.

Could this also be purchased for a specific book in a series if a child needed extra practice on a specific skill? Or do you start at the A lessons and have to progress though all the skills in order?

No, 5 is slated for some time this summer. 3 & 4 are April, and 2 is supposed to be sometime around or shortly after the level 2 books are all out.

Dd1 is halfway through 4, so I was figuring roughly from next school year.

Yup, I missed this, posted on their Facebook page about 4 weeks ago:

“It's still too early to make any guarantees, but we are shooting for an April launch of Grades 3 and 4, with Grade 5 to follow soon after, and Grade 2 to be implemented around the time the BA 2 books are complete.â€

So... The biggest question for me today is: Should I buy the books through AoPS or Rainbow Resources today? I am ready to purchase.  I also have Hands on Equations Verbal Problems in the cart which I'm anxious to look at. Do you think it will be a substantial discount? Or would the book/s I've already purchased through AoPS be enough to qualify if they were to offer a discount in the future of BA Online.

The email was from maybe a month ago and they seemed to be still deciding things.  

I've been using BA grade 3 workbooks to reach the magical $50 in Rainbow Resource, so I am disappointed too.   

It would be nice if instead of giving a discount to those who purchased direct from them, that they offered a no-guidebook version of online.   We aren't a demo family, so I have no idea how that would work.  

• Like 1

The email was from maybe a month ago and they seemed to be still deciding things.  

I've been using BA grade 3 workbooks to reach the magical $50 in Rainbow Resource, so I am disappointed too.   

It would be nice if instead of giving a discount to those who purchased direct from them, that they offered a no-guidebook version of online.   We aren't a demo family, so I have no idea how that would work.  

That's a good idea.  We don't need to purchase the guides a second time, essentially. Hopefully some AoPS people will see this thread. :)

• 3 weeks later...

We had a parent feedback session tonight at the AoPS Academy in SD for BA Online. I thought of this thread, and put in a plug for them to consider the cost of BA Online for large families. They don't yet have specific pricing details, but they are aware of the issue. Fingers crossed!

• Like 6