What's with the ads?

Photo

Evaluation happening sooner than later...what to expect?!

5 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 nwahomeschoolmom

nwahomeschoolmom

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:48 PM

So I had a 30 minute phone call with someone at a university psych department regarding evaluation for my son.  (Possible ADHD, Aspergers, Giftedness).  Turns out we are having our 1 hour long intake interview on site this Monday?!    I'm just feeling overwhelmed about how to make sure I can communicate and remember all of his behaviors?  We starting writing some things down just about three weeks ago, not expecting an appointment so soon.  I did not expect to feel this overwhelmed.  I mean...I've wanted confirmation of his ADHD pretty much since he was in my womb!  Then the (slightly irrational) fear..what if they don't diagnosis him with anything and its just his personality?  

Also, I didn't realize the intake interview would have my son present.  How will we discuss him with him there and have it be accurate?  We will just have to list off his peculiar behaviors and ADHD behaviors in front of him?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• PeterPan likes this

#2 PeterPan

PeterPan

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31694 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:04 PM

They want him present or you don't have a sitter? It's done both ways. The ones who want the dc present are planning on observing and screening. Most psychs don't want the dc present. But it's more how they roll than anything.

Keep writing out things. Honestly, go through the DSM criteria and use them to list out your concerns. It's so sucky to get blown off that I would just be upfront about it. 

Yeah, normal to feel overwhelmed. I've been to so many evals with my kids, especially my ds with autism. I STILL get overwhelmed and nervous. We're updating or evals and just added a new eval today for RDI, and I was nervous, lol. 

Whatever happens, you'll learn something. Take deep breaths, watch funny movies, do whatever you need to to get through it. We'll be here to gab. :)

#3 PeterPan

PeterPan

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31694 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

Btw, this is just an intake eval, but if you don't like the psych or have bad vibes or feel like you got blown off, move on. We had a psych place we waited 6 months to get into, and they did one of those watch you for an hour while your kid is in the room kind of things where they'd basically thumbs up/down on spectrum before they ever eval'd. I passed because I was told they were extremely anti-homeschooling at that office. I also just felt like that was really cursory, where my ds is sort of complex.

Really though, just go with your gut. If your gut is good with the appt on Monday, roll. If it's not, pull back. And the reason I say that is because a good IQ testing at this age is really helpful, and the quality and validity is going to be dependent on the psych. If you're not clicking or you don't like him or whatever, just jump.

But hopefully you like him! If you've spent 30 minutes talking, you probably have some good vibes like yes they've seen kids like yours or that he's easy to talk to or good about explaining things or...

#4 Lecka

Lecka

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5230 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

You might be filling out forms like “circle a number between 1 and 5” for a long list of questions; while they might chat some with your son.

#5 LynnS

LynnS

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:29 PM

For my son's ADHD and Autism evals, the parent interview portions were done with our son out of the room. We brought books and drawing materials along for him, but they had a special room with books, toys, and a TV for kids who were waiting while the parents were meeting with providers. For the Autism eval, they took him off for the cognitive testing and play-based autism evaluations. For his ADHD evaluation, they took him off alone briefly, maybe 15 minutes. For an intake interview, I'd expect him to be off somewhere else while you fill out paperwork and are interviewed by the staff; they may want to spend a bit of time speaking to you all as a family. 

#6 nwahomeschoolmom

nwahomeschoolmom

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 10:33 PM

Yes, my son is supposed to be in the interview...I figure we will just go with the eval either way because its so soon and so low cost!  I'm sure we will at least get a test for giftedness out of it if not more.

So if you ask my son why he does certain things (stimming behaviors), he will say "because it's fun" or "because it makes me comfortable"...if I can get him to say something like that in the interview, maybe that will get us an autism screening?  Are you saying if they don't see it in that particular hour they won't test for it?

We live in an area where homeschooling is very common ..so hopefully that won't be an issue.