Menu

Winter Olympics

Katy

I just watched the opening ceremonies. I thought they were wonderful. I loved that they sang John Lennon's Imagine & had the peace dove and that the North & South Korean women's hockey players carried the torch up together.  

It reminded me of one of the goals of the modern Olympic movement was to promote peace. 

• Like 7

Here's an article that suggests ways to stream the Winter Olympics:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/7/16986832/winter-olympics-pyeongchang-2018-how-to-watch-live-stream

We're having success with Hulu Live TV tonight, watching Mixed Doubles Curling. :)

I was surprised to see that Bob Costas has been replaced by Mike Tirico on the evening NBC live coverage.

Bob Costas announced that he has retired.
  • Like 1

I was watching the ski jumping competition via streaming, and there is a really cool story about one of the Norwegian jumpers. He has a fear of heights, and started ski jumping as a form of therapy. He's one of the top 10 ski jumpers in the world now at age 24. Pretty amazing! 

This sport is so cool to watch in person, if you ever get the chance. Those athletes just fly. Sometimes on foggy days, they seem to fly right out from the mist and land so gracefully on the ground with a wonderful Telemark landing. 

• Like 4

We love the Olympics here.  We are watching a day behind the evening broadcast so that we can fast-forward through the commercials and other things we aren't interested in.

Thanks for the heads up about the nasty figure skating comments.  We haven't watched it yet (because I wanted to watch the Opening Ceremony first); I think we may just skip it.  :(  I might preview it tonight to see if it's even worth having my kids watch.

I love ski jumping and wish I could have learned it as a child. 

Me, too! Girls didn't do ski jumping when I was younger. They do now, though. I think I had (and still have to a degree) the kamakaze personality to do this sport. It's a good thing there is no jumping centre nearby or my youngest ds would be begging to do this sport.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I'm really struggling with curling. Canada broadcasts a lot of curling and I'm just not feeling the love. 

I try but it's like angry housekeeping....

I'm not a curling fan, either. If you go to olympics.cbc.ca you can stream a bunch of different sports. They have entire events as well as highlights or shorted events. 

I'm really struggling with curling. Canada broadcasts a lot of curling and I'm just not feeling the love. 

I try but it's like angry housekeeping....

I though it was a lot more fun to watch with the long, floppy brooms. You got that flip-flop-flip-flop sound and brooms falling to pieces all over the ice. It was entertaining. ;)

• Like 1

ugh, hadn't watched an nbc stream for skating until just now, and tara lipinski and johnny weir are so catty as to be un-listen-to-able.  I think now I am watching the CBC stream?  I am not even sure.  It's an English or Australian lady and a Canadian or American man by accents, neither of them young.  They are not effusive but they are not unkind either.

• Like 1

I loved the Russian and Italian ladies in the short program. I completely missed the American as my husband was watching two different basketball games.

I didn’t think Lipinski or Weir were overly critical in the portion of figure skating I watched tonight.

I'm watching. Missed the opening ceremonies so want to go back and watch them. I watched figure skating last night and didn't find Tara and Johnnie bad. I wonder if someone talked to them. There are three athletes representing the small town I grew up in, which is pretty cool! I enjoyed watching the snow boarding and Red Gerard winning the US's first gold.

• Like 2

I loved the Russian and Italian ladies in the short program. I completely missed the American as my husband was watching two different basketball games.

I didn’t think Lipinski or Weir were overly critical in the portion of figure skating I watched tonight.

I specifically watched the skating, listening for the comments.  I didn't think they were that bad either.  I think they were honest about what they saw.  There were a lot of falls.

Johnny used the word "disappointing" a few times.  Yes, some of the performances were disappointing.

• Like 3

I specifically watched the skating, listening for the comments. I didn't think they were that bad either. I think they were honest about what they saw. There were a lot of falls.

Johnny used the word "disappointing" a few times. Yes, some of the performances were disappointing.

So glad I'm not the only one. Reading the comments on here I was beginning to think I had a moral failing for not noticing their nastiness.

Kelly

• Like 3

I watched figure skating last night and didn't find Tara and Johnnie bad. I wonder if someone talked to them.

I am guessing that's what happened.  The two of them, especially Johnnie, were far more subdued, and far nicer, than they were that first night.  ETA, that first night, I think his favorite word was "disaster."

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 3

I watched some figure skating last night on cbc, some in English and some in French. The French were the most positive commentators I've ever heard. I've never heard a Quebecer use the word "fantastique" that often.  :laugh:   The English commentators were a Canadian guy and an Australian woman. I need to do some investigation as to who they actually are. I haven't been following figure skating in the last decade. I didn't even know Australians were world level performers and coaches. I found the commentators both very informative and positive. They also really pleased me by not talking very much and just letting me enjoy the performances, especially the last half of the programs. ;)

It could be a very different Olympic games politically this year for events with high judging influence. There may be more Canadian medals this way.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I think I have have a new favourite event; snowboard slope. Man oh man those guys are good, and completely nuts! I love the 17 year old American who pulled the gold. Youngest of 7 kids. I can't believe the Canadian from Regina, Saskatchewan, the flattest place in the world, wins the bronze medal. That is just too ironic. Just proves that anything is possible.  :laugh:

As a mom, I must say that I'm very happy my dc do not do this activity. I would have lost all my hair. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 7

I think I have have a new favourite event; snowboard slope. Man oh man those guys are good, and completely nuts! I love the 17 year old American who pulled the gold. Youngest of 7 kids. I can't believe the Canadian from Regina, Saskatchewan, the flattest place in the world, wins the bronze medal. That is just too ironic. Just proves that anything is possible. :laugh:

As a mom, I must say that I'm very happy my dc do not do this activity. I would have lost all my hair.

Snowboarding events are the only ones we actually sit down to watch. The slopestyle finals last night were UNREAL. Two Canadian medals! One of the Canadians is from the next town over from where I live. I don't think he placed last night, unfortunately, but he's really good.

Some of those boarders can rotate up to 1600 degrees and land it. That is INSANE.

• Like 2

Snowboarding events are the only ones we actually sit down to watch. The slopestyle finals last night were UNREAL. Two Canadian medals! One of the Canadians is from the next town over from where I live. I don't think he placed last night, unfortunately, but he's really good.

Some of those boarders can rotate up to 1600 degrees and land it. That is INSANE.

Yes, there were some amazing Canadians who just missed the podium. What talent and courage to do this sport. The really cool thing is the size of the hills don't have to be huge to get into this sport. It allows a lot more children to get into this sport all across the country. Luckily, there are probably a lot of good coaching available to keep the kids from hurting themselves badly. ;)

• Like 1

The English commentators were a Canadian guy and an Australian woman. I need to do some investigation as to who they actually are. I haven't been following figure skating in the last decade. I didn't even know Australians were world level performers and coaches. 

Looks like it wasn't an Australian accent, rather a British accent I was hearing. Oops. She is Carol Lane from England, but is now coaching in Canada. This makes a lot more sense. I remember the amazing ice dance pair, Torvill and Dean, from England. They pretty much revolutionized the event. 

Kurt Browning is the male commentator. An amazing skater and wonderful commentator. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I think I have have a new favourite event; snowboard slope. Man oh man those guys are good, and completely nuts! I love the 17 year old American who pulled the gold. Youngest of 7 kids. I can't believe the Canadian from Regina, Saskatchewan, the flattest place in the world, wins the bronze medal. That is just too ironic. Just proves that anything is possible. :laugh:

Oh goodness yes! My boys especially loved that event. The whole time I watched I was thinking that if my kids ever wanted to do that for real, I’d never be able to watch.
  • Like 2

My husband and I were sitting here last night trashing the snowboarding events.  We're all "made-up sports are stupid and shouldn't be in the Olympics," and then we got completely sucked in.  The little American kid and his family were adorable, and the tricks they do were amazing, and I don't know how they learn to do them without dying.  So, yeah, I'm in.

As for Tara and Johnny, I only heard them last night, but I liked that they were throwing in some useful notes about why X routine scored higher than Y routine.  For the casual skating fan, that is helpful.  Dick Button used to do that, and I loved him except when he was fawning over Sasha Cohen the Ice Princess.  It was okay, however, when he fawned all over Michelle Kwan because I loved her.

As for Bob Costas, didn't he get fired/retired because of remarks he made about football causing brain damage?  Or did he really choose to retire first and then got vocal about the NFL afterwards?  Either way, I miss him.

• Like 5

I'm so glad that Canadian skate dancing pair, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, came back to skate at these olympics. They skated so well in the team event. They have matured over the years and skate amazingly well together. I didn't think they could get better, but they really have. So entertaining to watch! They really remind me of how connected and exciting Torvill and Dean were to watch. 

• Like 8

I watched some figure skating last night on cbc, some in English and some in French. The French were the most positive commentators I've ever heard. I've never heard a Quebecer use the word "fantastique" that often.  :laugh:   The English commentators were a Canadian guy and an Australian woman. I need to do some investigation as to who they actually are. I haven't been following figure skating in the last decade. I didn't even know Australians were world level performers and coaches. I found the commentators both very informative and positive. They also really pleased me by not talking very much and just letting me enjoy the performances, especially the last half of the programs. ;)

It could be a very different Olympic games politically this year for events with high judging influence. There may be more Canadian medals this way.

I must have been watching the English broadcast.  They were very good.

I listened to basically one skate with the American broadcast - it was the girl from France who skated to Beyonce.  I think Tara said it was just, blah.  I dunno.  The Australian lady is not always complementary but she never calls anyone blah.  She's also pretty good about illuminating what judges might or might not be looking for, esp. in things like pairs and ice dance, and explaining how this or that element might look great to us but is downgraded because of this minute and very difficult foot placement issue, or something.

I am definitely sticking with the Canadian/Australian duo for the rest of figure skating.

• Like 1

Looks like it wasn't an Australian accent, rather a British accent I was hearing. Oops. She is Carol Lane from England, but is now coaching in Canada. This makes a lot more sense. I remember the amazing ice dance pair, Torvill and Dean, from England. They pretty much revolutionized the event. 

Kurt Browning is the male commentator. An amazing skater and wonderful commentator. 

Ah, just read this one!  That makes so much sense; she has the detailed eye of a coach, imo.  I also like Kurt Browning.  He stays out of the way unless he has something to say.

I must have been watching the English broadcast.  They were very good.

I listened to basically one skate with the American broadcast - it was the girl from France who skated to Beyonce.  I think Tara said it was just, blah.  I dunno.  The Australian lady is not always complementary but she never calls anyone blah.  She's also pretty good about illuminating what judges might or might not be looking for, esp. in things like pairs and ice dance, and explaining how this or that element might look great to us but is downgraded because of this minute and very difficult foot placement issue, or something.

I am definitely sticking with the Canadian/Australian duo for the rest of figure skating.

It's actually Carol Lane from England, not an Australian. I like the way she is pointing out the exact technical things the judges look at in an objective way. In such a subjective sport, that has been under criticism for exactly this, we as the audience need to know what are the differences between the top 5 athletes. Just saying "blah" is not very helpful. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

My husband and I were sitting here last night trashing the snowboarding events.  We're all "made-up sports are stupid and shouldn't be in the Olympics," and then we got completely sucked in.  The little American kid and his family were adorable, and the tricks they do were amazing, and I don't know how they learn to do them without dying.  So, yeah, I'm in.

As for Tara and Johnny, I only heard them last night, but I liked that they were throwing in some useful notes about why X routine scored higher than Y routine.  For the casual skating fan, that is helpful.  Dick Button used to do that, and I loved him except when he was fawning over Sasha Cohen the Ice Princess.  It was okay, however, when he fawned all over Michelle Kwan because I loved her.

As for Bob Costas, didn't he get fired/retired because of remarks he made about football causing brain damage?  Or did he really choose to retire first and then got vocal about the NFL afterwards?  Either way, I miss him.

DH was kinder. I was calling the snowboarders "punks" and complaining that the Olympics were encouraging punks. Then I started watching and I was hooked. 

I do this every time. I can watch a 2 minute bio on an athlete and then cry if he/she doesn't win. I get so invested. 

Also, per usual, we live out the irony of watching the world's top athletes while we eat junk food and sit on our bums for hours on end. 

• Like 6

Has anyone else noticed that the German team has "Germany" on all their team clothing? What is that about! Why not Deutchland? I can't imagine France ever doing that. They are so connected and proud of their language. 

Over the years, English has infiltrated many German phrases and replaced some words. I think they had "Germany" on team clothing for quite a while.

"Deutschland" is also longer. :)

I just checked on some other teams: Austria does not have "Österreich" and the Swiss don't have "Schweiz" written on their clothing. They all have the English version.

Edited by Liz CA

Over the years, English has infiltrated many German phrases and replaced some words. I think they had "Germany" on team clothing for quite a while.

"Deutschland" is also longer. :)

I just checked on some other teams: Austria does not have "Österreich" and the Swiss don't have "Schweiz" written on their clothing. They all have the English version.

Swiss has Suiss on their team clothing, which is French, one of their official languages.

Sure, there are a lot of borrowed words in German, but the name of one's country is not going to be one of those words. My dh thinks it's because Germany is much more recognisable on the world stage than Deutchland. So a marketing move perhaps. 

• Like 1

Had a quick google and sounds like Germany has gone back and forth several times because this story is from 2008 & says "Germany, for example, used to use the English word on the front of its uniforms but switched for these Games to Deutschland"  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/sports/olympics/20uniforms.html

IOC rules apparently say it has to be in Latin letters. 

speaking of uniforms, I especially loved the Lithuanian biathletes - their racing onesies are patterned to look sort of like fish scales. Really neat effect....

• Like 3

Had a quick google and sounds like Germany has gone back and forth several times because this story is from 2008 & says "Germany, for example, used to use the English word on the front of its uniforms but switched for these Games to Deutschland"  http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/20/sports/olympics/20uniforms.html

IOC rules apparently say it has to be in Latin letters. 

speaking of uniforms, I especially loved the Lithuanian biathletes - their racing onesies are patterned to look sort of like fish scales. Really neat effect....

Remember when the Soviet union used to have CCCP on their stuff? Perhaps they got around the Latin letter ruling because these particular ones are similar to Latin alphabet. Or maybe the ruling has changed.

Has anyone else noticed that the German team has "Germany" on all their team clothing? What is that about! Why not Deutchland? I can't imagine France ever doing that. They are so connected and proud of their language. 

English is the official language of the Olympic games. So it makes sense.

ETA: And people usually struggle with all the consonants in Deutschland. ;)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

English is the official language of the Olympic games. So it makes sense.

French and English are both spoken at all Olympic games, because of Pierre de Coubertin founding the Modern Olympics. You will notice it mostly in the opening and closing ceremonies. All the official words are in both English and French - the athletes' and officials' oath, for example.

Edited by wintermom

Anyone else's DH hate watching male skaters?  Mine says watching men figure skate is less fun that watching paint dry.  I love the blue costume the guy has on right now - Rippon.

Scott Moir reminds me of U2's Bono, and he is as interesting to watch as his partner. Many of the other men seem to be colourless and simply there to throw the lady around - or to get smacked in the face by their partner's ponytail. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1