Menu

Winter Olympics

Katy

The NBC sports app is pretty widespread - they definitely have it on Roku and whatever SmartTV we have in the basement (sorry, terrible with electronic brands).

You can watch all Olympics live on it, and from the description on Roku it's free.  I think it went to a login page, but then auto-logged in on its own - I don't know if that's everywhere or just figuring out our NBC station from our Roku account information.

• Like 3

The NBC sports app is pretty widespread - they definitely have it on Roku and whatever SmartTV we have in the basement (sorry, terrible with electronic brands).

You can watch all Olympics live on it, and from the description on Roku it's free. I think it went to a login page, but then auto-logged in on its own - I don't know if that's everywhere or just figuring out our NBC station from our Roku account information.

I tried the NBCSports app on my phone, but because I don't have a TV login I can't watch.

I just live-streamed the mens skate for the team event, but I got kicked out after about 45 minutes.  I guess it was just a sample, and they want me to pay or sign in with a cable service to watch.  Oh well.  I actually wouldn't mind paying to watch, but it seems like you have to have a service in order to do so.

Edited by Serenade
  • Like 1

I just started watching some figure skating coverage online on the CBC. It's playing in another tab atm. 

ds was just saying that  he's read people in the US recommending the CBC online app instead of NBC. Apparently better coverage? But you may need your devices set up to shield your location.... 

• Like 1

Here's an article that suggests ways to stream the Winter Olympics:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/7/16986832/winter-olympics-pyeongchang-2018-how-to-watch-live-stream

We're having success with Hulu Live TV tonight, watching Mixed Doubles Curling. :)

I was surprised to see that Bob Costas has been replaced by Mike Tirico on the evening NBC live coverage.

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

Here's an article that suggests ways to stream the Winter Olympics:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/7/16986832/winter-olympics-pyeongchang-2018-how-to-watch-live-stream

We're having success with Hulu Live TV tonight, watching Mixed Doubles Curling. :)

I was surprised to see that Bob Costas has been replaced by Mike Tirico on the evening NBC live coverage.

Say it isn't so! I was hoping Bob just wasn't showing up until the opening ceremonies tomorrow. :(

• Like 2

I had no idea that competition had begun, since the opening ceremony is not until tomorrow night. I guess I'm more out of the loop than I thought. How did I not know this?

I like to watch skating, and I'm sorry I missed it tonight.

it's still on (cbc streaming). I don't actually know what I'm watching lol.  Team something or other, I think? It's pairs short skate but it's for team points or something? Anyway, it's fun. 

I had no idea that competition had begun, since the opening ceremony is not until tomorrow night. I guess I'm more out of the loop than I thought. How did I not know this?

I like to watch skating, and I'm sorry I missed it tonight.

I’m in your boat. I didn't know competing started before the opening ceremonies. :(

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

If the Russian teams were banned from the Olympics, how is it they have athletes (skaters) competing? I hear the commentators say something about no Russian flags in the team box (but obviously allowed in the spectators) and if any of the Russians win, they won't play the Russian anthem during the awards ceremony (I think they said they'll play the Olympic theme song or something instead), but aren't the Russians still competing?

• Like 1

Are we the only ones who aren't enjoying the figure skating announcing?  The kids said they're just mean.

This was exactly my thought too. I'm not a fan of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, especially Johnny. He does just say mean, catty things. They did a segment on Nathan Chen's life back in Salt Lake City and showed his old ballet studio and his ballet teacher. Johnny made some comment about not wanting to have his dance instructor (too strict, tough, I guess). That teacher has friends and family watching and I just felt bad that this was the treatment he got from the Olympics. And his comments about the skaters are often mean too. Listen for the difference in how Weir talks about skaters and how Scott Hamilton does. Scott is a real class act, and I think (hope) he gets to commentate the main events.

• Like 6

If the Russian teams were banned from the Olympics, how is it they have athletes (skaters) competing? I hear the commentators say something about no Russian flags in the team box (but obviously allowed in the spectators) and if any of the Russians win, they won't play the Russian anthem during the awards ceremony (I think they said they'll play the Olympic theme song or something instead), but aren't the Russians still competing?

Russian athletes who weren't involved in the drug testing problems are allowed to compete under the Olympic flag. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that if the athletes from Russia test clean, they are still allowed to compete (just not under the Russian banner).  They didn't want to penalize the athletes who weren't using even though the Russian system encouraged it.

• Like 1

This was exactly my thought too. I'm not a fan of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir, especially Johnny. He does just say mean, catty things. They did a segment on Nathan Chen's life back in Salt Lake City and showed his old ballet studio and his ballet teacher. Johnny made some comment about not wanting to have his dance instructor (too strict, tough, I guess). That teacher has friends and family watching and I just felt bad that this was the treatment he got from the Olympics. And his comments about the skaters are often mean too. Listen for the difference in how Weir talks about skaters and how Scott Hamilton does. Scott is a real class act, and I think (hope) he gets to commentate the main events.

According to a local news station, Twitter erupted in support of Chen after the commentators were so mean.  At some point, Weir was going on about it being the worst he's ever seen of Chen.  It was unpleasant and uncalled for, IMO.  It made me want to turn the channel.

• Like 3

Wow, the US skating commentators sound awful.  The CBC commentators were all nice tonight. I think I only heard nice things & when things didn't go well for a skater they'd say things like "oh gosh, it's too bad because we know they can do much better and they just need to work a bit on consistency" & then they'd start talking about something the skaters did nicely..... 

I think the most critical thing I heard was about the Russian pair & the commentators expressed their opinion that their long program music/choreo doesn't suit them and that they should do something more like their short which they thought was beautiful and presented their skills better. 

But edgy snarky commentary is so much more common now so I wonder if that's the tone your guys are going for? 

• Like 1

Also, I loved the coverage when we lived overseas ... the German and Swiss channels showed everything live (no delays!) (so you might have to get up in the middle of the night depending on where the Olympics were being held that year), and the commentators didn't prattle on with inane comments during, say, an ice-skating routine; you could just watch it and enjoy the music and artistry and come to your own conclusions. And you got to watch the Zamboni machine during breaks between each six skaters – no ads! (of course you paid for a TV license ...). And they showed every single skater, not just the best ones and the Americans. I miss that!

ETA: I forgot, we were in England during the Rio Olympics. I loved watching British coverage!!! They did highlight their own athletes as much as we highlight U.S. ones (and the UK athletes were really cleaning up! they were justifiably proud), but somehow the coverage wasn't so sensational and non-stop blah-blah.

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 3

I just live-streamed the mens skate for the team event, but I got kicked out after about 45 minutes.  I guess it was just a sample, and they want me to pay or sign in with a cable service to watch.  Oh well.  I actually wouldn't mind paying to watch, but it seems like you have to have a service in order to do so.

You can download Tunnelbear for $5 a months and stream from BBC or other countries.

I watched all day.  Got Hulu live free for a week and using the Apple tv app to watch it.  Loved the Calgary Olympics retrospective.  Dh loves curling and the team ice skating was awesome.

Do NOT like Johnny Weir's commentary though.

Edited by Lizzie in Ma
  • Like 1

We are watching the opening ceremonies live on Eurosport during an extended lunch break. We saw figure skating this morning. They are eight hours ahead of us in Korea. We thought it was strange how the Russian athletes walked in under the Olympic flag and they were introduced at athletes from Russia. The North and South Korean athletes came in with a flag depicting the Korean peninsula.

You get 30 minutes free the first day + 5 minutes a day after that. Whoopee!

Beyond that, you do have to have a "tv service" to watch, but it doesn't have to be traditional cable or satellite. There are lots of other options, including hulu. Someone posted an article above. Here's another one from Wired that explains several options--

https://www.wired.com/story/how-to-watch-the-2018-winter-olympics-online/

I don't really understand why we can't just pay NBC to access their app and website. Like you, I am happy to pay a reasonable amount to access their coverage. We want to be able to use our Roku player to access it, and I think we're going to sign up for a month of one of the services listed in the article. So our money will go to SlingTV or Hulu or whatever instead of NBC. I'm crossing my fingers that it will work.

Russian athletes who weren't involved in the drug testing problems are allowed to compete under the Olympic flag. 

My understanding is that if the athletes from Russia test clean, they are still allowed to compete (just not under the Russian banner).  They didn't want to penalize the athletes who weren't using even though the Russian system encouraged it.

That seems fair. Thank you for the explanation.

You can download Tunnelbear for $5 a months and stream from BBC or other countries.

We did that for Sochi and it worked well. But when we got TunnelBear today ($10), we were not able to stream from either BBC or CBC - we still somehow registered as out-of-country.  Understandable that they'd want to eliminate that loophole, but it's still annoying. 

Anyone successfully stream *these* olympics from another country with TunnelBear?  Is there something we could do to make it work? 

(What we're doing right now is a week's free trial of the YouTube TV thing, to watch the opening ceremonies.)

We did that for Sochi and it worked well. But when we got TunnelBear today ($10), we were not able to stream from either BBC or CBC - we still somehow registered as out-of-country. Understandable that they'd want to eliminate that loophole, but it's still annoying.

Anyone successfully stream *these* olympics from another country with TunnelBear? Is there something we could do to make it work?

(What we're doing right now is a week's free trial of the YouTube TV thing, to watch the opening ceremonies.)

I’m a sad tunnel bear too. BBC coverage won’t allow VPNs. We are watching from Canada now.

I think I am going to get the free week of Hulu live and then do a free one week trial of Sling. I love the Olympics but hate the ratio of the actual sport competition to commentator breakdown/human interest/commercial.  I don't mind all the human interest stories, but they can get a bit tiring.

• Like 2

I think I am going to get the free week of Hulu live and then do a free one week trial of Sling. I love the Olympics but hate the ratio of the actual sport competition to commentator breakdown/human interest/commercial. I don't mind all the human interest stories, but they can get a bit tiring.

Sling only has coverage in certain markets. We have Sling, but not in one of the markets that has the Olympics. Fortunately we can at least get what’s on NBC and YouTube. Edited by Rach

I love the Olympic games. One of my former high school students is a 2 time Olympic gold medalist in the summer games. I lived in South  Korea for a couple of years and have been the Pyeongchang area. I was there in the fall, and it was so beautiful. I will say I've never been so cold as when waiting for a bus at night in Seoul during the winter. Those Siberian winds from the north are biting! 

• Like 5