Menu

What college honors societies are worthwhile?

mum

I believe my son had to pay a small fee for Phi Beta Kappa.

Congrats to your son! I didn’t come anywhere close to qualifying for PBK at my school so I am not sure about fees. But that is a legitimate honor society and not a money making scam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We got mail last week for National Society of High School Scholars and they charged $60. I immediately looked it up because it was suspicious. The envelope had the name of my son’s high school written across the front giving the impression it was from his school. They added a bumper sticker for parents to proudly place on their car. I actually saw someone driving around with one today. After some digging, it looked like it was not worth it. They send those out to everyone and they have no way of obtaining his transcripts or GPA. I figured ACT or a scholarship website he signed up for sold his name.

oh yeah this is an ego scam - they send it out to a lot folks

We got our "offer" when DS was in 9th or 10th grade.

When I joined Phi Betta Kappa, they asked for a small donation if you could but let me in without it. (It may have been covered by my university.). Twenty years later, I still get their newsletters but haven’t been asked to pay. I don’t have a paid career, so I can’t comment on whether or not it’s worth joining for professional reasons.