Menu

Mom interfering in College Application?

mamato9

So, my dd graduated from homeschooling 1 1/2 years ago. I have a transcript for her but I really don't thing I did a good job preparing for this as she really did not want to go to college. She has been living in London since then, volunteering at a retreat center for schools. Now she is considering going into holistic medicine.

Long story short, has anyone called and talked with admission on behalf of their children. 

I think it's fine if you're calling or e-mailing for general information.  If your daughter is an adult and been living independently for a while, I'd have her doing the vast majority of the leg work.  I just had my junior send some e-mails last week for programs he is interested in.  I do think it's fine if you go back and buff up her transcript if she will need that for applications. 

She just doesn't have time right now living in London and working retreats and she would like to start college in the fall. She can fill out applications,ect but I didn't really do a really good job of making a portfolio for her. She has a transcript but another mistake we made was she did not take an SAT or ACT.

We have been living in missions for the last 7 years and were not thinking about encouraging our kids for college. Our 16 yo dd, just started at Keiser University in NIcaragua, which is the only US accredited college in central America, and they have bent over backwards for us with scholarships, ect. But we left her in the states for a couple of months with my parents for her to prepare for the SAT.

I want to be able to talk with the college about scholarships and what she should do about not having an SAT. Can she still take the SAT when she is 20?

TIA

Most colleges don’t require a portfolio and she can take the SAT at any age. Another option might be starting at a community college and transferring later, usually no SAT or ACT is required, as they will give their own placement tests for English and Math.

For scholarships based on merit, most colleges will likely require SAT or ACT scores, especially if she doesn’t have any grades from outside sources. But the tests are offered outside of the US.

• Like 1

She just doesn't have time right now living in London and working retreats and she would like to start college in the fall. She can fill out applications,ect but I didn't really do a really good job of making a portfolio for her. She has a transcript but another mistake we made was she did not take an SAT or ACT.

We have been living in missions for the last 7 years and were not thinking about encouraging our kids for college. Our 16 yo dd, just started at Keiser University in NIcaragua, which is the only US accredited college in central America, and they have bent over backwards for us with scholarships, ect. But we left her in the states for a couple of months with my parents for her to prepare for the SAT.

I want to be able to talk with the college about scholarships and what she should do about not having an SAT. Can she still take the SAT when she is 20?

TIA

As others have said, you can take the SAT at any age. 

I'm still not sure I understand, though, what calls you think need to be made?

I would suggest you (and she) look over the actual requirements for some of the schools she's interested in to get a sense of where (or whether) there might be gaps in her application materials. Then you could come back here and see if those of us who've been around the block a time or two can offer any help.

• Like 1

If she has internet access (I assume you mean London, England?), she can find all the information she needs about any given college and where she can take the SAT. There is really no need for you to call schools. You could make sure her transcript is ready to go when she is ready.

• Like 2

What you will experience if you call will vary depending on what type of school she is considering.  If it is a state school (especially a large one), they will simply direct you to their admission requirements on their website.  If they require the ACT or SAT exam, it will be stated on the site and she can now take the exam.  At times, there will be special considerations for non-traditional students who have not been in school for a long period of time, but I think there are few instances in which that will apply to her only 2 years after high school graduation.

If it is a small, private school there may be more flexibility in admissions requirements and see a student on a case-by-case basis.  

I would start by becoming familiar with the requirements and deadlines provided on the school's website.  If  it is difficult for her to contact the university during business hours because of the time difference, she could always email any questions that she has.

• Like 1

So does she just have a transcript made by you and does not have any standardized testing or external classes?  And she is thinking of US schools?  Does she have a particular program(s) in mind?  I would definitely start by scouring the website.

I would probably strongly consider community college in this case.  She can just do basic placement testing to start.  It doesn't hurt to have her try the ACT or SAT but it's got to be so much harder to come back to it if she hasn't been taking math and absorbed with academics day to day.

I called on behalf of my 20yo.  He didn't think he wanted to go to college and then changed his mind and found a small state school with a major he thought might work for him.  He had graduated from public school and taken the SAT.  I did the calling because my son's working hours didn't allow him to make the call himself and because he wasn't sure he really wanted to go and I wanted him to go badly.  It seemed like he would be more likely to go if I was heavily involved with the application process and made it as short and painless as possible.  To do that, I needed some information about the school and information about the application procedure.  The school was happy to talk to me.  This school is used to involved parents and accommodates them.  I started by explaining that I was calling with guidance counselor questions on behalf of an older student.  Once I got the information, my son and I sat down together and made out the application.  He did the actual writing but I sat at his elbow and answered questions (like parents' educational background).  He did the other pieces, like requesting SAT scores be sent, but I got it all set up so that he just had to sit down for a second at my computer to do the filling in and hit send.  I got the phone numbers ready so scheduling the appointments and interviews was easy, and I accompanied him to them and figured out what he needed.  At the time, he was living independently working a demanding adult job which involved scheduling things and showing up in the right place at the right time with the right tools, so his maturity wasn't an issue.  He just didn't have the energy to deal with it. Quite a few people told me that I was doing the wrong thing to help him with the application process, that if he wanted to do this, he had to prove it by doing the legwork himself, but he went to the school, graduated, and is now working a job on the other side of the world where he can't call home and where if he makes a mistake, people will die, so I feel like I did the right thing.  Just in case that makes you feel better...

He didn't think he wanted to go to college and didn't take all the high school courses he needed for the program he wanted.  His college accepted him provisionally and asked him to take a math course at the community college as preparation.  Again, I got that set up for him (he was still working), but he went to class and did the work on his own.  I can't even tell you what the textbook looked like.  If, like my son, your daughter didn't receive the preparation she needs for university, I highly recommend using community college classes as a ramp up to university level classes.  Our community college has many lower level classes meant for those whose high school preparation wasn't aimed at college.  At ours, no SATs are needed, the application process is short and easy, the classes cost much less than university classes, they help you with the financial aid forms, there is lots of support and tutoring available, and there is a placement test which determines which classes you should start with.  It is a Massachusetts state school, so if you are homeschooled, you need to show that you were legally homeschooling (not a dropout pretending to be a homeschooler), or you need to take the GED.

If your daughter wants to go to a school that is refusing her transcript, she can take the GED.  We tried to avoid this option with our homeschoolers, but we were told by several colleges that this was a good option for homeschoolers from states with homeschooling laws that didn't produce a paper trail showing that the student was legally homeschooling.

Good luck!

Nan

• Like 3