Menu

Experiences with SAT Accommodations for Type 1 Diabetes-- Registered but can't find a testing center

Josie

Has anyone had success getting the College Board to find a testing center for a type 1 diabetes accommodations?  How long did it take to find out where the testing would be?  We registered on January 25th, and we still know nothing about a test center. There is only ONE school giving the SAT in our county.  The others they are looking at are 47 minutes to over one hour away.  Why isn't the school in your county required to accommodate?  They are required to accommodate type 1 students.  I certainly pay taxes for this school.  

Any insight is appreciated.  I am frustrated.  It was so easy with my non-accommodated dd.

Edited by Josie
  • Like 1

I am sorry that you are having difficult finding a testing center.  It is my understanding that the testing is not an official service of the school district.  Testing sites are contracted by the College Board and the College Board pays proctors.  I wonder what type of requirements College Board places on centers in order to qualify to be a site?

Ugh. My sympathy.

My T1D didn't do accommodations, but I certainly understand why you want them. I would bang on the College Board door (by telephone) and ask them. I thought all testing centers needed to accommodate whoever signed up, but apparently I'm mistaken.

Again, how frustrating. 

Ugh. My sympathy.

My T1D didn't do accommodations, but I certainly understand why you want them. I would bang on the College Board door (by telephone) and ask them. I thought all testing centers needed to accommodate whoever signed up, but apparently I'm mistaken.

Again, how frustrating. 

Oh, I have banged on the door...twice so far.  We applied for and received her accommodation designation over a year ago, but getting her a testing center is proving frustrating. 

My Type 1 dd received accommodations in a school over an hour away in our rural state.  Her proctor turned out to be a homeschooling dad of 6 who happens to work at that high school...needless to say dd was thrilled.  But getting it set up wasn't easy at all, and involved calling the College Board on the phone and spending a fair amount of time getting sent to other numbers and on hold. 

As I recall (sorry, four years ago) she had to cancel the first date we had signed up for because while every other student in the world can simply hit send on a computer keyboard to select an SAT site, homeschooled type 1 diabetics must call and send/receive information by snail mail. I do remember being incredibly angry at this, and I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.  It's ridiculous.  Our local high school which serves four towns is about 7 minutes away and my non-T1d boys just went there.  You would think they would have proctors for other kids with various special needs, but apparently not.

My warm regards to your family, here's to a cure.

Edited by Harpymom

Josie, I can look back and see that we talked about this when your student was doing the PSAT.  I see that you had posted the College Board's number for accommodations then, which I hope was helpful to others.   Best of luck and preparation to your daughter!  I wish this wasn't still so complicated.

Oh...what timing! I was just discussing this with my T1 DD yesterday. We are just beginning the process for the PSAT and I had no idea there was more involved than just applying for the accommodations and then contacting the local school. That is certainly frustrating. I'll be watching this post as you get responses. (No, it doesn't help you one bit. Sorry.) 

Oh...what timing! I was just discussing this with my T1 DD yesterday. We are just beginning the process for the PSAT and I had no idea there was more involved than just applying for the accommodations and then contacting the local school. That is certainly frustrating. I'll be watching this post as you get responses. (No, it doesn't help you one bit. Sorry.) 

Unfortunately, the PSAT is a different process than the SAT.  The College Board won't "help" find a school for you.  You have to call the schools and ask if they will accept your student.  We found a private school, but I believe we were only accepted because I know a family who is very active in the school.  My friend encouraged the school to accept our dd.  They let her bring in all of her T1D gear/food, and allowed her to stop and test/treat if needed, but they were not able to stop her time.  It certainly wasn't ideal, but it was better than no accommodation.  We were VERY careful with what she ate for breakfast so we could "know" -- if that is possible with T1D -- what her BG would do.  She tested and treated, if necessary, during each break.  We are just thankful that she didn't tank or spike during the test.  Stress can do weird things!  

I will say that getting the College Board to approve the accommodations for T1D is not too difficult.  You do have to send stuff in the mail, but it is pretty straightforward.  The number for the disabilities office is 212-713-8333.   Call them before you start to fill out the paperwork.  The paperwork makes it seem more difficult than it should.

Good luck with finding a PSAT testing center.  Start early!

Edited by Josie

Unfortunately, the PSAT is a different process than the SAT.  The College Board won't "help" find a school for you.  You have to call the schools and ask if they will accept your student.  We found a private school, but I believe we were only accepted because I know a family who is very active in the school.  My friend encouraged the school to accept our dd.  They let her bring in all of her T1D gear/food, and allowed her to stop and test/treat if needed, but they were not able to stop her time.  It certainly wasn't ideal, but it was better than no accommodation.  We were VERY careful with what she ate for breakfast so we could "know" -- if that is possible with T1D -- what her BG would do.  She tested and treated, if necessary, during each break.  We are just thankful that she didn't tank or spike during the test.  Stress can do weird things!  

Good luck with finding a PSAT testing center.  Start early!

Thank you for the advice! I'm going to start ASAP. DD actually attended a private school for all of middle school so we may be able to test there. I'll have to put on my pitiful face when I go ask. :-)  It seems to me that that this is a common-enough occurrence that it should be relatively routine and easy. I suppose it is not so with bureaucracy. 

Josie, I can look back and see that we talked about this when your student was doing the PSAT.  I see that you had posted the College Board's number for accommodations then, which I hope was helpful to others.   Best of luck and preparation to your daughter!  I wish this wasn't still so complicated.

This is needlessly complicated!  

Here is to the cure for T1D and all the ailments from which our children suffer!  Keep calm and carry on!  :cheers2:  :cheers2:  :cheers2:

• Like 1

My ds has College Board accommodations. It was a bit of a pain for us because we moved after I started the process but overall it wasn't too bad. It's pretty much a "done deal" once you get the paperwork/doctor's notes done. They can't really deny the medical necessity, kwim? His accommodation was clock stoppage if his bgs are out of range, and not re-starting until recovered, plus of course pump, juice and all that jazz.

He took the PSAT (2x) and the ACT (1x) without accommodations, and the SAT (2x) with. Honestly his scores were consistent across all them, regardless of accommodations, but I'm glad we had them in place in case it was an issue, and I'm also looking towards college and thinking that having College Board in place will help if he needs them later.

We fortunately had no issues getting a testing site. After registering, College Board contacted us, asking for three possible testing sites near us. I listed them, they contacted them and then the one that could/had space/was willing contacted us and set up a time. (He was alone with a tester, and took it on a school day rather than a Saturday. He also started later than normal (9:00) because the tester had ordinary administrative duties at the school. That was a very good thing for him.)

He took the SAT at the same school with the same tester both times.

As is normally true for me, my memory of the events fades pretty quickly afterward, but I'm glad to dredge up anything else I can if it would be helpful to you. Feel free to message me.

My ds has College Board accommodations. It was a bit of a pain for us because we moved after I started the process but overall it wasn't too bad. It's pretty much a "done deal" once you get the paperwork/doctor's notes done. They can't really deny the medical necessity, kwim? His accommodation was clock stoppage if his bgs are out of range, and not re-starting until recovered, plus of course pump, juice and all that jazz.

He took the PSAT (2x) and the ACT (1x) without accommodations, and the SAT (2x) with. Honestly his scores were consistent across all them, regardless of accommodations, but I'm glad we had them in place in case it was an issue, and I'm also looking towards college and thinking that having College Board in place will help if he needs them later.

We fortunately had no issues getting a testing site. After registering, College Board contacted us, asking for three possible testing sites near us. I listed them, they contacted them and then the one that could/had space/was willing contacted us and set up a time. (He was alone with a tester, and took it on a school day rather than a Saturday. He also started later than normal (9:00) because the tester had ordinary administrative duties at the school. That was a very good thing for him.)

He took the SAT at the same school with the same tester both times.

As is normally true for me, my memory of the events fades pretty quickly afterward, but I'm glad to dredge up anything else I can if it would be helpful to you. Feel free to message me.

Yes, getting the accommodation was not difficult.  Getting the testing center is not as easy as it should be.  I have been working on this since January 25th.  Do you remember how long it took for them the get back with you?  How long did you know before the test where he would be testing?

I just sent an email to them with other possible sites.  I am trying to be proactive as I really want her to take the March test.  

Thanks,

Josie

Yes, getting the accommodation was not difficult.  Getting the testing center is not as easy as it should be.  I have been working on this since January 25th.  Do you remember how long it took for them the get back with you?  How long did you know before the test where he would be testing?

I just sent an email to them with other possible sites.  I am trying to be proactive as I really want her to take the March test.  

Thanks,

Josie

The first time, they got back to me in a day or two that my first choice site wasn't an option so they were going to the second choice. That site got back to me within a week and everything was straightforward.

The second time we just went with that site, and the lady there was willing to do it, but due to renovations at the school she couldn't give me a definite date. He ended up testing in August on about the last possible date for that test administration where lots of testers were disrupted and I think all of them finally tested before ds did! So it got a little stressful -- has she forgotten us? -- but in the end it was all find.

I think that's one reality to keep in mind -- your dd will probably test by herself, so someone is committing their day to it, and since it's just for one person, the tester may be slower to book, assuming more flexibility. But I'm also realizing how blessed we were by having a testing site/person who was willing, and quick to agree.

Can you talk in person to the testers at the sites you're suggesting? Make sure they're willing and able up front? 

Best wishes. It is frustrating. 

(And I just realized that in my first reply I was melding you (looking for a testing site) with another poster (getting started on accommodations) -- sorry about that! I was trying to rush out the door. :-) )