What's with the ads?

#1 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

What are your ideas/things you have done to make the level 2 books less dry? All ideas welcome: extra books, alternate spines (even better if you would share your alignment plans), dvds, how you modified the assignments, etc..

#2 Mrs. Tharp

Mrs. Tharp

Chronic Lurker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:48 PM

:lurk5:

#3 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4381 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:02 PM

We dropped it. :leaving:

It was killing my kid's love of history.  I bought Creek Edge Press task cards instead and used those to create a weekly plan with note taking, fiction, videos, websites, and creative projects.  My kid was at the age where he started to do more on the computer and created Powerpoint presentations, maps, etc.  Sometimes he would do the cards as written, sometimes he'd ask to substitute (collages were not a favorite thing here) and present a different idea.  Having a simple, flexible weekly plan was easier on us than the push-and-pull of HO.

• Paradox5 and okbud like this

#4 happypamama

happypamama

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9905 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

What spine do you use? We use k12’s Human Odyssey books with History Odyssey Level 2, and my kids both like those books. My seventh grader is using Notgrass’s America the Beautiful this year for a year of specific US History, and I don’t think he likes it as much as he likes the k12 books.

But History Odyssey is a really good fit for him. He loved almost every single one of the ancient and medieval literature books, and he likes the summaries/notes. DD used it for early modern and modern and didn’t like it as much, but there are a lot of worksheets for those, and those got tedious. She didn’t like some of the literature selections *at all,* so if I use it for my son next year, I will modify it. Probably just to be more reading the k12 books and writing summaries and facts, maybe the maps. Few worksheets. Probably some alternative literature. The modern level 2, in particular, is a LOT.
  • Paradox5 likes this

#5 librarymama

librarymama

Ramblin' Wreck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 207 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:18 PM

I have HO2: Middle Ages. I went through it and was slashing things off, but ended up getting frustrated. I decided to just type up my own version of HO using it as a guideline.

I basically kept all the maps, worksheets, and timeline stuff. We are going to use KFH because it is concise and not overwhelming, but I also have about 20 other world history encyclopedias, atlases, and books that he can use for more depth when he desires.

We haven't started it yet, as this is for the Fall, but I think he will like that much better. We won't be doing any essays, summaries, or outlines because he'll be busy enough with WWS and learning proper note taking and study techniques through our science studies.

I slashed most of the literature books, but we are going to do a few Shakespeare graphic novels, Robin Hood, Sword and the Circle, Canterbury Tales, and Tales from Japan. We are going to enrich our studies with documentaries from Amazon, Netflix, and YouTube as well as watch some movies for fun like The Adventures of Robin Hood and Much Ado About Nothing. 

• Paradox5 likes this

#6 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:38 PM

I would love a copy of that plan!

#7 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:40 PM

What spine do you use? We use k12’s Human Odyssey books with History Odyssey Level 2, and my kids both like those books. My seventh grader is using Notgrass’s America the Beautiful this year for a year of specific US History, and I don’t think he likes it as much as he likes the k12 books.

But History Odyssey is a really good fit for him. He loved almost every single one of the ancient and medieval literature books, and he likes the summaries/notes. DD used it for early modern and modern and didn’t like it as much, but there are a lot of worksheets for those, and those got tedious. She didn’t like some of the literature selections *at all,* so if I use it for my son next year, I will modify it. Probably just to be more reading the k12 books and writing summaries and facts, maybe the maps. Few worksheets. Probably some alternative literature. The modern level 2, in particular, is a LOT.

Would you mind sharing your correlation guide?

edited to add: I should have stated we aren't using this program yet. I did use Ancients with my older guys way back when. They thought it was great. Their favorite part was creating a pictorial timeline for the dates. We still have it in book form along with the summaries, etc. they did.

Edited by Paradox5, 08 February 2018 - 06:20 PM.

• happypamama likes this

#8 CaliforniaDreaming

CaliforniaDreaming

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 12:59 AM

My kids are doing level 2 Middle Ages and one loves it and the other is tolerating it. For the younger one, I am not requiring additional literature or writing from him this year. He is just doing history for writing. I think it would be overkill with another writing program like WWS or something. It is pretty open and go and history is getting done. So there is that...

Sometimes I don't have him do all the summaries if he has to outline as well. Or he can just tell me about them verbally or do a very short couple of lines. We have skipped some of the bigger reports as well. If it is a long lesson we break it up into two days. I am adding in some movies and a promise if they do well with it I will take them to the Renaissance festival this spring.

My son was recently inspired to make his own medieval village out of clay in his free time. So maybe he is enjoying the topic more than he lets on.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming, 03 February 2018 - 12:59 AM.

• Paradox5 likes this

#9 happypamama

happypamama

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9905 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:37 AM

Paradox5, I will PM you later today with the plans I have. I know one of them disappeared, but I should have the others.

We use WWS, so we have mostly skipped the History Odyssey writing assignments.

#10 Paradox5

Paradox5

The Ordinary Princess

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3867 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:08 PM

Thank you, happypamama. I will look forward to seeing it!

• happypamama likes this

#11 prairiewindmomma

prairiewindmomma

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10784 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

Pm me too, please. I already own the texts and hadn't thought about combining them. We are midway through Middle Ages.
  • happypamama likes this

#12 blue daisy

blue daisy

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 11:18 PM

Following, because we are about to drop History Odyssey level 2 for my 7th grader.  He's bored to tears and not learning.  We're only through about a quarter of the lessons for Middle Ages.  We decided to have him listen in on younger siblings lessons (they use History Odyssey level 1), keep up with the maps and timeline and find some literature and other resources to round it out.  I was about to post on here for book ideas.