Menu

What is your curriculum gets done programs.

homemommy83

The other thread is so true, the best curriculum is the one that gets done consistently.

Below are the things that I have consistently done with most of children.

Pentime handwriting

FLL1/2-

Phonics Pathways after either TYCTRin100EL or The Reading Lesson.

Primary LL/ ILL

Rod and Staff Spelling and Math

Math Mammoth whether doing a quick unit or this year with my 1st grader is getting done as well.

Recently The Good and the Beautiful LA has been very doable daily for our children. While it is all inclusive I have found that I actually still want to do PLL and ILL with it as I love them both for different reasons.

We have also loved CLEs Reading program, but it only takes a few months each year to do.

What are your programs that get done?

Brenda

Edited by homemommy83
  • Like 1

Piano lessons: That is where my boys are right now

Sequential Spelling: Eldest is kind of sad that he is almost done. He is on disc 4, and sadly the CDs are really hard to find, so he isn't going to continue on after he is done

Math: Singapore, and AOPS

Writing: IEW and we just started Elegant Essays

Duolingo

• Like 2

AAR and MM are our gotta do's each day. Luckily, they're also the ones that are the easiest to get done thanks to their open and go nature. We've also started implementing BW's A Quiver of Arrows and it's also been getting done every day lately. It's only been a week, though, so we'll see if  that stays consistent. It should since it fits in nicely with our morning time.

• Like 2

EIW. We struggled to have consistency with writing until this program. DD struggles so every other program resulted in meltdowns which certainly didn't inspire pulling it out the next day. She doesn't love EIW (I don't think she'll ever love a writing program, at least not until she is proficient at typing), but she doesn't dislike it and it gets done regularly. 

RSO We have only dipped into other science programs, but we have stuck with this one through 1st, 2nd, and now 4th with plans to use it again next year for 5th and 1st. 

Singapore math. We have tried others here and there but come back to Singapore. We also love BA, but it's too intense for DD to do every day as a main program. SM gets done without meltdowns.

I'm happy with RSO and SM. I admit that I'm always looking at other writing programs with grass-is-greener syndrome. But I'm going to stick with it because the others probably won't get done like EIW does. And there's nothing I dislike about EIW, it's good, I just see so many others mentioned more frequently that it's hard not to think we're missing out on something not doing them!

• Like 2

We have a pretty good routine going. I recently started using Homeschool Planet, and that has helped our completion rate a LOT. School also seems to take less time - I guess having the checklist motivates my kids to stay on track. I have already written out schedules for artist & composer studies so that we get those done too!

4th grader: 

Math in Focus

Math Minutes

180 Days of Writing

Mr. Q Science

Bookshark history

Literature studies

10th grader:

MUS

World History using a textbook & Great Course lectures

Biology w/ textbook

Art History with book & Great Courses lectures

Bible and Its Influence & Great Courses lectures

Literature studies

My attempts at French with my 4th grader are NOT getting done, so I ordered something new to try (CAP's French for Children). I am hoping it gets done. I am also totally slacking in art.

• Like 2

I have finally figured out that we do best here with curriculum that has a schedule already done. Or Do-the-Next-Thing. Some current things that are working well (knock on wood!!!!):

6th grader

Apologia General Science w/ the Notebooking Journal

Uncle Sam and You

Figuratively Speaking

Easy Grammar

WWS 1

4th grader

Writers in Residence

Pentime Handwriting

Math Mammoth

RSO Chemistry

2nd grader

Growing w/ Grammar

RSO Chemistry

• Like 2

For 1st and 2nd, daily copywork always got done. DS had a favourite song which I would play for him while he was writing.

Now at the beginning of 3rd, our daily subjects are:

- Reading (two chapters which I assign)

- Writing (we make Jot It Down style mini-books on a different topic each week)

- Spelling (AAS)

- Math (Miquon)

Also getting done:

- History (SOTW plus comprehension questions and mapwork)

- Science (Mystery Science or Brainpop)

- Grammar (Practice Island)

• Like 2

Despite all my jumping around with things, we actually have a great track record of doing...

Once my kids were in the habit of doing twenty minutes l.a., twenty five minutes math, and an hour of reading every day they just did that. A couple years ago I was very sick and laid up in bed and they just kept the routine going on their own. It was amazing.

I can not recommend working by time instead of lesson more highly!

I love this point!  I schedule tutor time with each child daily instead of following a certain lesson daily and I feel this is so much more productive.

• Like 1

For us, it’s CLE for math and The Good and The Beautiful for language arts. I don’t love every single thing about TG&TB, but the fact that it gets done is huge.

Also, this year we’re doing a weekly science coop with friends which is ensuring that science gets done.

And, as mentioned by pp, the habit of reading for an hour every afternoon and after I put them to bed if they’re not tired enough to sleep has given them the time to log many many hours of reading.

Edited by three4me
  • Like 2

Can anyone please give more information re: RS3/4K science? As an after-schooler, I'm looking to supplement this part of my child's (3rd grade) education & am torn on which curriculum to follow (BFSU is currently in the running but I'm still shopping around). Thanks!

Edited by Earthmerlin

Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons

Spelling Workout

Sequential Spelling

Language Lessons for Today

Essentials in Writing (grades 1, 2, and 3 tried so far)

Easy Grammar Grade 2

Handwriting Without Tears (K, 1, 2)

Dance Mat Typing

Math Mammoth

Mr. Q Science

Science in the Beginning with the Rainbow Resource lab kit (this is our first year, haven't tried the others in this series yet)

I still haven't found a history that consistently gets done for us. We've jumped around a lot. SOTW is still on the shelf but I'm considering VP Self Paced History for this coming year.

I have learned I need things that are open and go. I have a long list of things that were too much prep and just not going to get done but I think that's for another thread. ;)

Edited by MrsRobinson
  • Like 1

Our always-get-done:

CLE Math

Spellwell

Universal Handwriting or Zaner-Bloser Handwriting books

Bible at breakfast

Phonics Pathways

Language Lessons for Today

The lesson for me here is that the do-the-next-thing type curriculums are the ones that are easiest for me.

• Like 2

Despite all my jumping around with things, we actually have a great track record of doing...

Once my kids were in the habit of doing twenty minutes l.a., twenty five minutes math, and an hour of reading every day they just did that. A couple years ago I was very sick and laid up in bed and they just kept the routine going on their own. It was amazing.

I can not recommend working by time instead of lesson more highly!

I agree with this so much. That tracking consistency really works. I was sick a couple of months ago and the exact same thing happened here. My kids just grabbed their work and went to business as usual. My DD even gave the twins lessons from wherever my sticky tab was in my teaching manuals. It was truly lovely :)

• Like 1

SOTW because the hawk demands history.

Anything that has five or six pieces in a lesson means I know I can't get away with letting it slide for a day--currently that's Spelling You See, Vocabulary Virtuoso, and DGP (which is also very quick).

Any math gets done every day because it's a priority.

• Like 1

These are the things still getting done despite a family emergency last month...

CLE math

R&S spelling

Climbing to Good English

Beast Academy

Spelling You See

Write On!

Evan Moore Daily Science

Pathway readers

Murche science readers

Librivox audio books

Edited by vaquitita
  • Like 2

Apples & Pears - it's gotten done the most consistently and the longest around here

Math.  Just in general, math.  We're good about getting it done...but not so good about sticking to a specific program.  CLE, MM, and BJU have all had decently long stints here.  Oldest DD is over-the-moon about Mastering Essential Math Skills, however (IMO) it was an emergency measure, not a full curriculum.

Mosdos has been used several years by oldest DD. No teacher's guide, no workbook.  Just read and chat.

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

i am new here, but been a long time lurker and learned so much from these boards!  My youngest is finishing up grade 2 and we ended up minimizing a lot from Aug until now:

What gets done is 

Singapore Math 

Parts of The Good and The Beautiful LA & Lit

Sentence Family 

Rod and Staff God's People Bible reader

Awana verse memorization

The Good & The Beautiful History Units 1 & 2 then we took a break because we have already done some of the early US history in the next unit.

We have replaced it with BF Around the World With Picture Books Part 1 and it is fabulous! It encompasses history, geography, nature study, science, art, notebooking and literature

Lots of read a loud books always gets done

Art.....once a wk class and my little artist is always adding her creative touch to everything we do 

We try to get to Pentime but working on penmanship is not her favorite so it is a battle.  Pretty much anything "writing" is difficult because she just wants to draw everything instead of write words  :cursing:

• Like 2

Basically anything in a good colorful workbook with enough space to write in....Thinking of Abeka, Horizons, certain BJU subjects...anything that doesn't need a cumbersome TM, or at least you can just highlight a few key sentences in the TM and go over it before they start (aka Abeka)...

For Science anything that is multi-child usable and not cumbersome..(thinking of Apologia elementary as being the one exception to the workbook thing) (although we pretty much unschooled Science till 6th grade)

High School- textbooks with outsourcing either online or co-op:

Good quality co-ops that cost money are worth it especially if they are well established

Apologia Academy

PA Homeschoolers

CurrClick has some good ones too and very affordable

Wilson Hill

Essentially in elementary, it was read-alouds, Story of the World, workbooks (Horizons, Saxon, Abeka, ACE, BJU) and unschooled Science (library, Bill Nye, Creation videos BBC nature stuff, Magic School Bus and fun Science kits from Science Wizard) and anything super messy and creative had to be a class (thinking of art, sculpture etc) or just done for fun on their own. 

Then in middle school it was read-alouds and workbooks that actually got done. Middle schoolers were a tough lot for me, trying to teach independence, stick-to-it-iveness and perseverance with studies was hard, so having VERY CLEAR laid out expectations was absolutely crucial.

In high school my kids love me as a person and as a mom but they are SO DONE with me being the teacher, and that is why we outsourced.  My calm, not dramatic respectful boy just got so beyond me that I function much better as a sounding board for amazing ideas than a teacher.  My dd just doesn't want me teaching her and is struggling, as the baby of the family to have her independence as much as possible as I coddled her a little too much in certain respects, and therefore nwo that she has found she loves to be an independent hard working person, she no longer wants me as teacher.  So, for high school basically everything is outsourced.  

Acellus - it gives DD the independence she's been craving, and I have the ability to check on her progress every day without making her feel like I'm grilling her on what she got done. Everyone knows the expectations and she can track her own weekly progress and plan her week, so if she wants to have Friday off, she knows what she needs to do Monday-Thursday to make it happen. 

Spelling You See - Not always fun, but the pattern is easy to keep up, and it's working. 

• Like 1