Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Feb 2018

Granny_Weatherwax

Was at the gym for strength training this morning. Now that the half is over, I'll be at the gym three times a week for the next seven weeks. Should be interesting to see what kind of progress I can make. I deadlifted 205 for 8 reps for two sets and then a final set where I could only do 5 reps. I did dumbbell bench press today, too. 30 lbs a hand for ten reps x 4. And goblet squats with a 50 lb dumbbell for 12 reps, 4 sets. 

• Like 5

I did my private lesson, and I think I am done for today. I am feeling tired, and hungry. I went over my MFP suggestion yesterday, still stayed a bit hungry, and today I am starving again, even though I am eating normally. I guess before I started tracking I just ate more on days like this, never paying attention. It might be related to hormones, as last month I also had three low very energy days in a row about this time of my cycle.

• Like 4

I did my private lesson, and I think I am done for today. I am feeling tired, and hungry. I went over my MFP suggestion yesterday, still stayed a bit hungry, and today I am starving again, even though I am eating normally. I guess before I started tracking I just ate more on days like this, never paying attention. It might be related to hormones, as last month I also had three low very energy days in a row about this time of my cycle.

How is your sleeping? If you are not getting enough sleep that increases the hunger hormones. 

• Like 3

Blerg. Difficult weekend and day today. But I got to the gym, though late and actually ran on the treadmill. Ds put Spotify on my phone for me and DH gave me some earbuds. I was also curious about how fast my jogging pace is (as per the discussion over on the intensity of exercise and the relation to longevity thread) and how many METS it was and what portion of a mile I run during a 3 min jogging interval. So lots to keep my brain occupied. 45 min total with 18 min of jogging intervals. 

• Like 4

The temperature warmed up enough for me to get outside for a ski this afternoon. Ds 11 really wanted to go to the local pond and play some hockey (taking shots on the goal by himself), so we went over. I was in no mood to put on skates outside in the cold, so I decided to ski instead, since I could wear my ski boots for the short drive to the pond. There was a couple inches of snow on the rink, so I skate skied circles on the rink while ds skated. It was awesome, as the snow was too deep on the fields. My ski loop included climbing the hill beside the pond, and skiing down the hill and onto the pond. It was really fun!

I'm wondering if I have a touch of cold-induced asthma, though, because I didn't feel right with my breathing afterwards and I was very, very tired. I still feel like I just can't catch my breath completely. I should probably take my puffer for my allergy-induced asthma. 

• Like 5

No walk yesterday- the walking track was closed anyway and it was a busy day, Mondays always are but I felt good. I slept all night last night, a little bit of restlessness but I didn't wake up, WOOT! I'm trying to decide if I want to go in to exercise this morning. We have freezing rain coming in but it is supposed to be after TKD, I'm afraid it will come early and it will be canceled and I'll miss my workout but I really don't want to go out now, it is dark and cold, UGH! Stupid weather.

And I had some of my df ice cream last night, mmmm, delicious! I had planned to have it Sunday when we went down for ice cream with the in-laws but I just wasn't in the mood. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

No walk yesterday- the walking track was closed anyway and it was a busy day, Mondays always are but I felt good. I slept all night last night, a little bit of restlessness but I didn't wake up, WOOT! I'm trying to decide if I want to go in to exercise this morning. We have freezing rain coming in but it is supposed to be after TKD, I'm afraid it will come early and it will be canceled and I'll miss my workout but I really don't want to go out now, it is dark and cold, UGH! Stupid weather.

Glad the sleeping is going well. Freezing rain is so annoying. Hope yours holds off long enough so you can get places you need to go.

• Like 3

Was at the gym for strength training this morning. Now that the half is over, I'll be at the gym three times a week for the next seven weeks. Should be interesting to see what kind of progress I can make. I deadlifted 205 for 8 reps for two sets and then a final set where I could only do 5 reps. I did dumbbell bench press today, too. 30 lbs a hand for ten reps x 4. And goblet squats with a 50 lb dumbbell for 12 reps, 4 sets. 

WTG! RAWR! The dumbbell bench press scares me, it seems more likely I could drop something on my face! 

• Like 3

Glad the sleeping is going well. Freezing rain is so annoying. Hope yours holds off long enough so you can get places you need to go.

Thank you, I'm still sitting here wondering if I should go in, the rain is supposed to start at 6, about 15 minutes after we get home. I think for now I'll just keep an eye on it and try to get the girls work done early so I can go earlier in the afternoon if needed, I hate to take a trip in the morning then end up having to go in the evening too.

• Like 3

How is your sleeping? If you are not getting enough sleep that increases the hunger hormones. 

Yes, when my sleep was at the worst (with a baby who nursed all night), I could never stop eating. If it wasn't for nursing I would have probably weighed 500 lbs! What time is it in your cycle? My hormones at different parts also affect my sleep. It is hard when our body cues go wonky :( Here's hoping you got a good nights sleep and feel better today or can at least find time for a nap.

• Like 2

WTG! RAWR! The dumbbell bench press scares me, it seems more likely I could drop something on my face! 

Thanks! I was worried about that, too. I did have my trainer spotting me but it's still scary to get to the point where you can't push the dumbbells up anymore. I'm actually a big scaredy cat at the gym - I have to get out of my own head a lot, which is good that I have a trainer, I guess - otherwise I wouldn't be doing very much.

• Like 5

I have completed the 112 miles of biking and have moved on to the running portion of my Lazyman Ironman. I only played tennis once last week and it doesn't look like I'll play at all this week. :(

Life has been stressful with ...well, life, and my eating has reflected my reaction to the stress. Tennis has always been my go to exercise for dealing with stress and not being able to play is getting me down.

• Like 4

I'm trying to get into yoga. I recently got a subscription to Beachbody's VOD service so I'm trying out their 3 Week Yoga Retreat program: https://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/3-week-yoga-retreat-beginners.do

So far it's been pretty enjoyable. I'm not a flexible person at all so it was tough going to start, but at the end of the first week I feel like I'm really starting to see some improvement in my form.

• Like 5

I think I'll go to the gym today.  Usually I go Wednesdays, but we are supposed to get slammed with snow tomorrow.  Grrr....I don't want snow!

Just send what you don't want up north! I love snow for skiing. It's been a bad winter so far, but we're supposed to get a dump of snow tomorrow, too.  :hurray:  

Have fun at the gym. 

• Like 3

More snow yesterday so I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t make it to Goodwill. Kind of bummed, but seeing as dh is always cranky about drivers who are out on the road when they should have stayed home and the inevitable work and dinner missing that results for ho,, I thought it best to get home from our art appointment as soon as possible yesterday.

Ran on the treadmill today. I also worked out the plan for the week with dh so that the workouts I want to do with him are done on days he is available. No snow today, thankfully. Sunny for a change and not as frigid. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s supposed to snow again on Thursday and thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s cookie selling time so I really do need to try and find some snow bibs. Wintermom, if you would keep the snow thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s supposed to come on Thursday, I would appreciate it. :p

• Like 5

Made it to the gym, had dh take me, roads weren't bad yet but I almost busted my butt on the deck when I got home. Pretty sure I won't be walking outside today.

I was feeling wimpy when I got there (should have had a little snack beforehand) but I got in the groove and it felt good. Lifting makes me feel powerful, even though my weights aren't winning any awards but I feel like a badda** anyway, just to do it. I added 5 lbs to my last set of bench press- up to 70 lbs, woot! My first rep at that I thought I might not make it but tightened everything up like my friend told me and finished out strong. Added 10 lbs to my squat (up to 65). I need to add to my rows next time, I've saved my presses for last the last 2 times and my arms have been spent by then. The gym was pretty empty but the one dude that is always there was there, he does this huge circuit I swear through the whole freakin' gym, it is ridiculous. He had 350 lbs on the squat rack, he did have the courtesy to have it off when I went back in there but really it was ridiculous to keep so much much equipment tied up.  

I went to the gym this morning.  Ran 2.5 miles. Wasn't feeling it.  Learned a valuable lesson:  always have spare underwear in your locker so you have something clean to wear when you dress after your shower.  That is all.

LOL

I have completed the 112 miles of biking and have moved on to the running portion of my Lazyman Ironman. I only played tennis once last week and it doesn't look like I'll play at all this week. :(

Life has been stressful with ...well, life, and my eating has reflected my reaction to the stress. Tennis has always been my go to exercise for dealing with stress and not being able to play is getting me down.

(hugs)

Thanks! I was worried about that, too. I did have my trainer spotting me but it's still scary to get to the point where you can't push the dumbbells up anymore. I'm actually a big scaredy cat at the gym - I have to get out of my own head a lot, which is good that I have a trainer, I guess - otherwise I wouldn't be doing very much.

I get scared too, that's why I avoid certain things, if I had some extra money and could find a good trainer I think that would be a big help.

• Like 5

I'm a really sporadic poster, but I do appreciate this thread.

I'm down 14 pounds since I joined WW Dec 9. It is almost time to pack away my big post-pregnancy clothes (and since dd is turning 2 next week, it is ABOUT TIME). Moving into the medium post-pregnancy clothes is good, but I'm looking forward to my "normal" clothes again, which is about another 10 pounds.

I need to maintain my knee health. It is doing SO well right now. I've been doing Barre 2-3 times per week and am adding in some HIIT work. Can I tell you how impossible that last sentence would have sounded in September? The temptation is to skimp on knee PT work since it doesn't bother me at all right now, but that would certainly lead to injury again.

I tend to be obsessive, so I'm trying to exercise at a reasonable-long-term amount, which I see as four 30-60 minutes sessions of exercise per week. I've named Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday my exercise days. No reason to go crazy exercising now just to regain weight and lose muscle after I burn out, or worse, get injured.

This week, I did a TurboFire aerobics workout on Monday and a 40 minute Barre3 workout Tuesday. I'm still on the fence about whether Barre3 is good for my knee, but my subscription goes until next Friday, so I might as well use it now. Today is an off day.

Emily

• Like 6

DD managed to put off quite a bit of her assignments for the CC course that ends tomorrow till the last day, so she needs to do a lot of work now, and as much as I like keeping them moving, school has priority. So, yesterday, today, and tomorrow no fencing for us. I did most of my full body workout yesterday, and added 30 minutes on the bike. I was too tired to do proper intervals, so I just did it steady. It did change the resistance over the course, but I didn't try to increase speed. I think it might be good for me to do a short break from fencing, as I was feeling a bit burned out recently, but on the other hand I can't help thinking that I need to do some exercise, and maybe I should go to the last part of fencing at least.

I am not sure where I am in my cycle, as I don't track ovulation, and with peri-induced wackiness, the length can vary. I think it is different this time around though. I was hungry/sleepy/tired yesterday, but I slept 8-9 hours lately. I feel better today.

• Like 4

Here is an article I liked about fitness goals for woman -- https://www.niashanks.com/fitness-goals-for-women/

I'm down 14 pounds since I joined WW Dec 9. It is almost time to pack away my big post-pregnancy clothes (and since dd is turning 2 next week, it is ABOUT TIME). Moving into the medium post-pregnancy clothes is good, but I'm looking forward to my "normal" clothes again, which is about another 10 pounds.

I need to maintain my knee health. It is doing SO well right now. I've been doing Barre 2-3 times per week and am adding in some HIIT work. Can I tell you how impossible that last sentence would have sounded in September? The temptation is to skimp on knee PT work since it doesn't bother me at all right now, but that would certainly lead to injury again.

I tend to be obsessive, so I'm trying to exercise at a reasonable-long-term amount, which I see as four 30-60 minutes sessions of exercise per week. I've named Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday my exercise days. No reason to go crazy exercising now just to regain weight and lose muscle after I burn out, or worse, get injured.

This week, I did a TurboFire aerobics workout on Monday and a 40 minute Barre3 workout Tuesday. I'm still on the fence about whether Barre3 is good for my knee, but my subscription goes until next Friday, so I might as well use it now. Today is an off day.

Emily

Congrats on the weight loss and exercise!

DD managed to put off quite a bit of her assignments for the CC course that ends tomorrow till the last day, so she needs to do a lot of work now, and as much as I like keeping them moving, school has priority. So, yesterday, today, and tomorrow no fencing for us. I did most of my full body workout yesterday, and added 30 minutes on the bike. I was too tired to do proper intervals, so I just did it steady. It did change the resistance over the course, but I didn't try to increase speed. I think it might be good for me to do a short break from fencing, as I was feeling a bit burned out recently, but on the other hand I can't help thinking that I need to do some exercise, and maybe I should go to the last part of fencing at least.

I am not sure where I am in my cycle, as I don't track ovulation, and with peri-induced wackiness, the length can vary. I think it is different this time around though. I was hungry/sleepy/tired yesterday, but I slept 8-9 hours lately. I feel better today.

(hugs) best wishes getting the kiddos back on track, glad you feel better. Maybe you could try a short break from fencing and see how it goes? Either you will miss it or feel relieved.

• Like 3

Dh had to take FIL to the hospital, he is not well at all, will find out more today when the cancer dr's can see him. He finally made it back home at 4am, I hardly slept before then and then woke up at 6:30, I'm feeling terrible here. I have no idea what today holds, too many variables. Prayers if you are inclined.

Yesterday, I did nada. Got some bad news Monday and just needed a mental health day. Today was Zumba. That is always good! 

(hugs) that stinks!

Here is an article I liked about fitness goals for woman -- https://www.niashanks.com/fitness-goals-for-women/

I didn't notice the goal, "To have fun," on that list. Fitness can be fun. There is an enjoyment in working hard physically and feeling like you're accomplishing something, learning new things and improving skills. 

Maybe it's too basic a concept, or doesn't sound sexy or adult enough. It's the #1 reason I keep fit, though. And my dc don't keep participating in a sport if they aren't having fun. They may have to try out different activities or settings until they find something they like,

but it's still all about the fun. 

I know that there are a lot of people out there who don't have that past experience of enjoying physical activity. It was uncomfortable, embarrassing, painful, etc. A lot of that sounds like old-school gym classes where everyone was forced to do specific activities and those who couldn't do them have a very un-fun time. Linking physical activity and fun sounds impossible to them. It doesn't have to be, though, and fun and enjoyment are much better long-lasting motivators than negative things, like avoiding death and the fear of growing old painfully. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Emily

That's great progress with both weight and exercise! I hear you about the knee - I dislocated my knee over ten years ago and it took years before it was normal again.

• Like 1

Yesterday, I did nada. Got some bad news Monday and just needed a mental health day. Today was Zumba. That is always good! 

Sorry about that :grouphug:

(hugs) best wishes getting the kiddos back on track, glad you feel better. Maybe you could try a short break from fencing and see how it goes? Either you will miss it or feel relieved.

I think I miss it already :) I think I just needed to unload something off my plate. I am struggling with cooking twice as much as I used to, especially since I am trying to come up with something that is sufficiently different and reheats well. It's not even the cooking itself, just decision making plus the hassle of measuring and recording.

Dh had to take FIL to the hospital, he is not well at all, will find out more today when the cancer dr's can see him. He finally made it back home at 4am, I hardly slept before then and then woke up at 6:30, I'm feeling terrible here. I have no idea what today holds, too many variables. Prayers if you are inclined.

Sorry :grouphug:

I did 30 minutes of cardio yesterday. I hope to fit a full body workout today. Tomorrow I am going to back fencing, and on Sunday I have a local competition (and naturally, I don't feel ready at all).

• Like 3

I went for a 30 min snowshoe this afternoon. It was too short, but that's all the time I had while dd was teaching her violin lesson. The conditions were perfect - lots of fresh powder snow, not too cold or windy, beautiful forest to walk in. 

I'm going skate skiing tomorrow morning with friends. I can't wait! 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Got in a little nap yesterday, thank goodness.

Only got in 45 min at the gym due to life. Lifts went well. I didn't add any weights but upped reps.

Today is going to be a BUSY one, house cleaning this morning, class for ds this afternoon, shopping, and picking up/dropping off kids. Everything is in the air still with FIL.

I really hope to get to the gym on Sat but with having a sleepover and things being crazy that may or may not happen.

• Like 4

Had an awesome workout in the gym today. And I *love* my trainer! I joined a FB group for Women Who Lift earlier this week. It was an incredibly active group and a lot of the posts had to do with how they're all eating six times a day, using tons of supplements, and eating crazy amounts of carbs. They take stuff before they work out and after they work out and then they post pictures of how muscular they are. 

It totally had me questioning my own journey. Should I be eating more? Should I be supplementing? Should I eat a ton of carbs? Should I stop fasting?

Anyway, I told my trainer about what I'd been reading and asked him if my progress was "normal" or if I was progressing way slower than he'd expect someone to progress and he was so great. I feel way better about what I'm doing - I'm moving steadily towards the goals we set out for me to meet and we've already had to adjust one of the goals because I exceeded it early ;) He suggested I only join groups that make me feel encouraged and drop anything that is discouraging - I had already left that FB group but I went home and left a few more that weren't doing me any good.

I'm so grateful for my trainer. And for this thread! It's nice to be able to come here and talk about what we're doing or any struggles we have and to be inspired by how other people incorporate fitness into their lives. So thank you to everyone who posts here :) 

• Like 4

Got in a little nap yesterday, thank goodness.

Only got in 45 min at the gym due to life. Lifts went well. I didn't add any weights but upped reps.

Today is going to be a BUSY one, house cleaning this morning, class for ds this afternoon, shopping, and picking up/dropping off kids. Everything is in the air still with FIL.

I really hope to get to the gym on Sat but with having a sleepover and things being crazy that may or may not happen.

I wish I napped more. I'm going to keep that in mind for resolutions for next year.

Great job getting to the gym on a hectic day! 

• Like 2

I think I miss it already :) I think I just needed to unload something off my plate. I am struggling with cooking twice as much as I used to, especially since I am trying to come up with something that is sufficiently different and reheats well. It's not even the cooking itself, just decision making plus the hassle of measuring and recording.

I'm always surprised by how long it takes to plan meals and grocery shop - and then we actually have to cook the food and clean up afterwards. 

• Like 2

I went for a 30 min snowshoe this afternoon. It was too short, but that's all the time I had while dd was teaching her violin lesson. The conditions were perfect - lots of fresh powder snow, not too cold or windy, beautiful forest to walk in. 

I'm going skate skiing tomorrow morning with friends. I can't wait! 

That sounds awesome! I might try to get out for some snowshoeing at some point this winter. There's an outdoors store that does Friday evening snowshoe walks in different locations and they'll rent snowshoes to those who don't have any. Just need to find a Friday evening that works...

What is the difference between skate skiing and skiing or skating? Are you skiing on ice? I guess you're not skating on snow ;) 

We lived on a small lake for about 8 years and it froze every winter. I absolutely loved being able to go out into my back yard and skate on the lake. I was pretty awesome at clearing big rinks, but there were a few times when the conditions were perfect and the wind had blown all the snow off the lake and we could skate across the entire thing. 

• Like 3

Had an awesome workout in the gym today. And I *love* my trainer! I joined a FB group for Women Who Lift earlier this week. It was an incredibly active group and a lot of the posts had to do with how they're all eating six times a day, using tons of supplements, and eating crazy amounts of carbs. They take stuff before they work out and after they work out and then they post pictures of how muscular they are. 

It totally had me questioning my own journey. Should I be eating more? Should I be supplementing? Should I eat a ton of carbs? Should I stop fasting?

Anyway, I told my trainer about what I'd been reading and asked him if my progress was "normal" or if I was progressing way slower than he'd expect someone to progress and he was so great. I feel way better about what I'm doing - I'm moving steadily towards the goals we set out for me to meet and we've already had to adjust one of the goals because I exceeded it early ;) He suggested I only join groups that make me feel encouraged and drop anything that is discouraging - I had already left that FB group but I went home and left a few more that weren't doing me any good.

I'm so grateful for my trainer. And for this thread! It's nice to be able to come here and talk about what we're doing or any struggles we have and to be inspired by how other people incorporate fitness into their lives. So thank you to everyone who posts here :)

I was going to ask for a link to the group but scratch that! I'm not up for any complicated regime or diet. I take vitamins for deficiencies, I don't need anything extra on my supplement list. My plan is the "me" diet, foods I feel good eating, aiming for slight deficit to lose some fat. I do basic compound lifts, heavy for lower reps, add on reps or weight when it gets easy. I'm sure any of the pros would tell me I'm doing it all wrong, whatever, I don't have time in my life for complicated. It makes me feel good and I'm getting stronger, no idea how my progress compares. Sometimes it is better not to have anyone to compare, although I think it would be nice to see at least 1 other lady in the free weights! I wish I had a trainer, I think that is fabulous. I'm hoping I get more sessions in with my lifting friend, she is such an encouragement and has a lot of experience, that is what we need, your trainer is so right if it doesn't lift us up, let it go. Fwiw I read your posts and think I should be fasting then I stop and remember to stick to what is working for me, not anyone else.

In other news here I'm going back to old school and keeping a food diary. I'm been toying with the idea for awhile. Taking a nod from WW I'm not tallying all my fruits and veggies(although I do have some still memorized from back in the day) in my totals but decreasing my goals to alot for that. It might be a very bad time to do this with my life thrown a bit in the air right now so I'm giving myself some grace, whatever I'm able to track is good, if I miss some that is ok too.

• Like 1

What is the difference between skate skiing and skiing or skating? Are you skiing on ice? I guess you're not skating on snow ;)

It's a different technique used in cross-country skiing. The traditional, skis moving parallel to one another is called 'classic technique,' and the other is 'free technique' or skate skiing where the skis are shorter and you move with a skating motion. It is much faster, you don't wax the skis the same way (I don't bother waxing at all cause I'm lazy), and the boots offer a lot more ankle support. You need a firm base to skate ski on, though, or it's way too hard to slug through the snow.  

Watch through to the end of the video. That's just like me on the snow in a pile of exhaustion.  :svengo:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

I went for a wonderful skate ski with friends and ds 15 at the biathlon trails. I am tired and sore, but satisfied. The snow and weather conditions were perfect. I just wish my body was in good enough shape to last longer up there. The boys got hungry and needed to come home and refuel, too.  :D

• Like 4

I know what you are talking about. I didn't join any groups, but when I was looking for a whole body strength programs, I saw a lot of discussions that revolve around supplements and crazy amounts of protein, not as much about carbs though. I read it, thought about it, and decided that I don't want to be on a lot of supplements. I do take multivitamins and glucosamine, but only because I tried it when my wrist hurt, it got better, and then when I stopped using it, it started hurting again. So I am keeping that. I also looked at my macros now that I am recording everything, and if I go below certain level in carbs and above in fat, my body complains. I adjusted that to fit me. I don't care that they say 1-1.5 g of protein per pound of bodyweight is an absolute necessity to gain muscle weight. I'll get there slower, but without feeling sick. People are different. You make progress in gym, so you are doing great. If you start feeling too tired, not recovering well after workouts, or going back on your strength, then consider eating more or changing something else. And slow progress is not bad. It gives time for your entire body to adjust. Tendons, for example, take much longer than muscles to get used to higher loads, and tendonitis is not fun.

I was going to ask for a link to the group but scratch that! I'm not up for any complicated regime or diet. I take vitamins for deficiencies, I don't need anything extra on my supplement list. My plan is the "me" diet, foods I feel good eating, aiming for slight deficit to lose some fat. I do basic compound lifts, heavy for lower reps, add on reps or weight when it gets easy. I'm sure any of the pros would tell me I'm doing it all wrong, whatever, I don't have time in my life for complicated. It makes me feel good and I'm getting stronger, no idea how my progress compares. Sometimes it is better not to have anyone to compare, although I think it would be nice to see at least 1 other lady in the free weights! I wish I had a trainer, I think that is fabulous. I'm hoping I get more sessions in with my lifting friend, she is such an encouragement and has a lot of experience, that is what we need, your trainer is so right if it doesn't lift us up, let it go. Fwiw I read your posts and think I should be fasting then I stop and remember to stick to what is working for me, not anyone else.

In other news here I'm going back to old school and keeping a food diary. I'm been toying with the idea for awhile. Taking a nod from WW I'm not tallying all my fruits and veggies(although I do have some still memorized from back in the day) in my totals but decreasing my goals to alot for that. It might be a very bad time to do this with my life thrown a bit in the air right now so I'm giving myself some grace, whatever I'm able to track is good, if I miss some that is ok too.

That is my motto (and I think that, too:) ) There are way too many variables to consider.

Olga- why are you cooking so much? I'm sure you said and I've forgot or missed it.

DH had a bit of a health scare, so he decided to finally clean up his diet. He used to skip breakfast, and either eat frozen meals or go out for lunch. Now I have to cook both for him. And I am notoriously bad at cooking more than for 4 people at a time, so I cook two different meals.  I am sure I'll get to the point where is it a norm, but adjusting is hard. He did lose weight in the last 3 weeks, so at least I feel that my work is paid off, but now I am worried that he went from eating too much to eating too little. It is a constant adjustment. As I said, decisions :)

I have no energy today.  Yesterday I fell asleep while DS was reading to me.  Don't know what to make of that.

Get some rest :grouphug:

• Like 2

I slept plenty.  I have to wonder if it is my allergy injections?  Really...no clue what to make of it.

it could be. Some antihistamines knock me out for solid 24 hours. Could be other things, too: hormones, vitamins, diet, too much exercise/not enough food...  I know how frustrating it is to think that everything should be fine, and yet you just can't move or keep your eyes open. I just try to take it easy on days like that :grouphug:

• Like 3

Kinda konked out after work and got a late start on the walk/jog. Only did 30 min walking with 15 min jogging, but was rewarded despite my slackness with a beautiful sunset.  I also did 45 min of Zumba using Youtube videos. I never get my heartrate quite up where it is when I am taking a class with my usual instructor, but even at home, it's a moderate workout with a few spikes in it.

I realized today that I haven't done strength training all week!  :svengo: I had two days where I did nothing, so that's where it went! 

I've met my cardio minimum for the week, but since it's supposed to rain tomorrow, I think I'll go to the gym and swim. I haven't done that in a long time. I may try both a strength workout at home and the machines at the gym, since I've had a whole week's rest!

Maybe I'll motivate myself to do the flexibility exercises. I'm sitting here not wanting to do them. It's because I'm tired and it's one. more. thing. Plus I want to take a shower. Blerg. I'll report back if i talk myself into at least a couple. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

It's a different technique used in cross-country skiing. The traditional, skis moving parallel to one another is called 'classic technique,' and the other is 'free technique' or skate skiing where the skis are shorter and you move with a skating motion. It is much faster, you don't wax the skis the same way (I don't bother waxing at all cause I'm lazy), and the boots offer a lot more ankle support. You need a firm base to skate ski on, though, or it's way too hard to slug through the snow.  

Watch through to the end of the video. That's just like me on the snow in a pile of exhaustion.  :svengo:

Ha ha! That looks like a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

I know what you are talking about. I didn't join any groups, but when I was looking for a whole body strength programs, I saw a lot of discussions that revolve around supplements and crazy amounts of protein, not as much about carbs though. I read it, thought about it, and decided that I don't want to be on a lot of supplements. I do take multivitamins and glucosamine, but only because I tried it when my wrist hurt, it got better, and then when I stopped using it, it started hurting again. So I am keeping that. I also looked at my macros now that I am recording everything, and if I go below certain level in carbs and above in fat, my body complains. I adjusted that to fit me. I don't care that they say 1-1.5 g of protein per pound of bodyweight is an absolute necessity to gain muscle weight. I'll get there slower, but without feeling sick. People are different. You make progress in gym, so you are doing great. If you start feeling too tired, not recovering well after workouts, or going back on your strength, then consider eating more or changing something else. And slow progress is not bad. It gives time for your entire body to adjust. Tendons, for example, take much longer than muscles to get used to higher loads, and tendonitis is not fun.

Well, that's just it. I feel great! I have a ton of energy. I don't get hungry. I feel strong at the gym (9 times out of 10, anyway). I'm losing weight and I'm lifting heavier and heavier things. I feel like I've finally found what works for me but it was funny how quickly I doubted myself when I saw all the posts in that group. 

It's great that you know exactly what works for your body, too. I'm amazed at how long I ignored what my body was telling me and just ate things that didn't agree with me because I wanted to eat them. 

• Like 2

The girls had a sleepover, needless to say I didn't get a lot of sleep. Coupled with all the stuff going on I'm exhausted. I had hoped to go lifting with my friend, thankfully she is sore anyway, so we are going to try and make it in tomorrow if the roads aren't icy. If not I'll get back at it Tuesday. 

That is my motto (and I think that, too:) ) There are way too many variables to consider.

DH had a bit of a health scare, so he decided to finally clean up his diet. He used to skip breakfast, and either eat frozen meals or go out for lunch. Now I have to cook both for him. And I am notoriously bad at cooking more than for 4 people at a time, so I cook two different meals.  I am sure I'll get to the point where is it a norm, but adjusting is hard. He did lose weight in the last 3 weeks, so at least I feel that my work is paid off, but now I am worried that he went from eating too much to eating too little. It is a constant adjustment. As I said, decisions :)

Get some rest :grouphug:

Oh, yes, as soon as I posted I remembered about your husband. Hopefully, you get settled in with it soon and it won't take so long. At least you are seeing good results.

I have no energy today.  Yesterday I fell asleep while DS was reading to me.  Don't know what to make of that.

(hugs) I think Olga is right, it is likely your allergy shots but I'm not an expert.

Well, that's just it. I feel great! I have a ton of energy. I don't get hungry. I feel strong at the gym (9 times out of 10, anyway). I'm losing weight and I'm lifting heavier and heavier things. I feel like I've finally found what works for me but it was funny how quickly I doubted myself when I saw all the posts in that group. 

It's great that you know exactly what works for your body, too. I'm amazed at how long I ignored what my body was telling me and just ate things that didn't agree with me because I wanted to eat them. 

Because not good for us food tastes good :) 

• Like 1

No, you definitely don't want a peek into that group. It sounds like you've found a great routine - nice to have a friend to lift with. 

I'm surprised by how easy it is for me to be swayed by what someone else is doing when everything seems to be working well for me as it is. I was in a couple of fasting groups on FB as well and kept thinking I should try a longer fast again (I used to do 3 to 4 day fasts every 4 to 6 weeks or so). So, last week dh was out of town on Tuesday and I decided not to eat dinner on Tuesday night. I normally eat dinner on Sunday and then break my fast with dinner on Tuesday. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't totally easy, either, and I didn't sleep well that night and then I was at the gym Wednesday morning. I lifted well, but I felt more out of breath before sets and probably took more time than usual between sets. Then I was *hungry* and ate a humungous lunch. When I do my regular fasting, everything is pretty normal and I don't get weird insatiable hunger or anything. I just feel normal. So, I'm back to my regular routine. Which works for me. And I decided that I should leave the fasting groups, too. I don't need to do anything different because this is working for me.

I *want* to keep a food diary. Maybe once I reach my goal weight.

ETA: My exercise for the day was a 15km run. Then, I did what I've been saying I should do for ages, I came home and spent half an hour doing abs in my home gym. I'd like to do that every Saturday.

Edited by Sarah CB
  • Like 2

Tennis was really awesome tonight! I always feel so strong playing tennis if I've been skiing a fair amount and building up my upper-body strength and fitness. My partners and I won our ladies doubles and mixed doubles matches. We had a lot of great rallies, too.

It's just a shame I can't do more tennis in the winter, as well as some skiing in the summer.  :laugh:

• Like 3

I mostly learned to listen to my body as a little kid, but even now sometimes it is hard to tell what I really want.

Tennis was really awesome tonight! I always feel so strong playing tennis if I've been skiing a fair amount and building up my upper-body strength and fitness. My partners and I won our ladies doubles and mixed doubles matches. We had a lot of great rallies, too.

It's just a shame I can't do more tennis in the winter, as well as some skiing in the summer.  :laugh:

Glad to hear you are enjoying both skying and its "side effects"! I wish I could find something that would improve my fencing :)

I fenced yesterday for the first time since last Friday, and mentally it was much more enjoyable, although not exactly better in terms of the results. Tomorrow I am going to a local competition, where I should meet at least one other veteran lady and get my behind kicked :)

• Like 3