Menu

Dr. Hive, female stuff

busymama7

ER was great and fast. But nothing is wrong 😕 I mean something has to be wrong but nothing they can find. Hemoglobin is 13.1! Heart lungs chest x Ray, ultrasound showed an ovarian cyst but that's it. I am still dizzy and lightheaded and have chest pain/pressure and feel crummy but no reason that they can find. I'm headed home.

I'm sorry. :-(

I really don't like that they sent you home while you are experiencing these serious symptoms. Please take care of yourself and go back if your symptoms don't improve or get worse. Also follow up with your dr on Monday.

Yes I have an appointment at the ob/gyn Monday. I mean I'm not in agony level pain. It hurts but. It enough for meds or anything. The weakness and fatigue is even more worrying for me. But they really had no more ideas of what to check. I pressed them. Anxiety was mentioned and I have been under an extreme amount of stress so while that seems totally out of character for me I guess it could be.

Yes I have an appointment at the ob/gyn Monday. I mean I'm not in agony level pain. It hurts but. It enough for meds or anything. The weakness and fatigue is even more worrying for me. But they really had no more ideas of what to check. I pressed them. Anxiety was mentioned and I have been under an extreme amount of stress so while that seems totally out of character for me I guess it could be.

This makes me angry on your behalf because it's the 21st century equivalent of calling a woman "hysterical" and it shows how paternalistic physicians can be towards women.   :cursing: I don't believe for one second that your symptoms are psychosomatic. I think they reflect some very real underlying medical condition that I pray you get a proper diagnosis and treatment for. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 14

This makes me angry on your behalf because it's the 21st century equivalent of calling a woman "hysterical" and it shows how paternalistic physicians can be towards women. :cursing: I don't believe for one second that your symptoms are psychosomatic. I think they reflect some very real underlying medical condition that I pray you get a proper diagnosis and treatment for. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Well to be clear, we brought it up not them. We asked for some time to talk over what they told us and we pondered ourselves whether it could be that and then brought it up to dr when she came back.

I asked but she said it wasn't that. Not sure how they know. The chest X-ray?

PE do not show on X-rays. I had a chest X-ray too.

As far I know a DDimer blood test will either be negative and they rule it out or positive and they keep looking. Next step is a ct scan of your lungs. That is the only way they know for sure.

I was told it wasn’t PEs as I wasn’t in any pain, just chest tightness. I was seen by a PA who had a confab in the hall with the Dr who was over her, and the radiologist. It was missed. Period.

EKG was negative. Shortness of breath and extreme fatigue were really my only symptoms at the time. They did tell me that my first diagnosis of a sinus infection was correct. That later turned out to be seasonal allergies.

Be your own advocate. You know your body. If you’re not getting better, go see someone else. Blood tests are easy.

Prayers.

Edited by KatieinMich

My neighbor, about 70 and also suffering from Parkinson's dropped dead Thursday evening as they were in the grocery store....PE.   

My fear is the ER rushed you out since most ERs and hospitals are swamped by all the flu cases.   Would a MAN presenting with the chest pain symptoms be told to go home, it is "anxiety"?  The heavy bleeding may or may not have anything to do with a PE...but it may be another reason you aren't being further tested for a PE (oh, she simply has female issues poor thing). 

At least keep checking in here as you know we are going to be fretting all weekend about you.

• Like 3

My neighbor, about 70 and also suffering from Parkinson's dropped dead Thursday evening as they were in the grocery store....PE.   

My fear is the ER rushed you out since most ERs and hospitals are swamped by all the flu cases.   Would a MAN presenting with the chest pain symptoms be told to go home, it is "anxiety"?  The heavy bleeding may or may not have anything to do with a PE...but it may be another reason you aren't being further tested for a PE (oh, she simply has female issues poor thing). 

At least keep checking in here as you know we are going to be fretting all weekend about you.

Exactly! I'd ask your OB on monday exactly what blood work was run. 

Also, could be pleurisy, which would be less scary at least. 

I had a gall bladder attack that they thought might be a PE.  To check for it, the urgent care place did a special blood test in my wrist--it was deeper and much more painful than a standard blood draw.  I forget why it had to be done that way, but it was definitely urgent care rather than the ER, and the test was considered definitive for PE.

I had a gall bladder attack that they thought might be a PE.  To check for it, the urgent care place did a special blood test in my wrist--it was deeper and much more painful than a standard blood draw.  I forget why it had to be done that way, but it was definitely urgent care rather than the ER, and the test was considered definitive for PE.

As a former respiratory therapist I can say with near certainty that what you had was an ABG (arterial blood gas) draw. It is usually done in the wrist and is more painful than a regular venous draw. They were probably going to check to see if your blood had a lowered amount of oxygen in it. Patients with a PE typically have reduced levels of oxygen in their blood because the clot is preventing blood from getting to (at least) one lung.

After the ABG many patients also have a D-Dimer test, which looks for chemicals that are released in the blood as a clot breaks down. The D-Dimer is not itself 100% accurate in diagnosing a PE because it can't tell where the dissolving clot is, just that there is one. However, taken together with the patients ABG results, history, chest x-ray, and physical exam it can help determine whether a PE has occurred.

Also, I agree with other posters saying that what the OP describes does sound like a PE, especially if the EKG, etc. came back normal. If she didn't get an ABG and D-Dimer she should go back and insist on having them done.

• Like 5

I had a gall bladder attack that they thought might be a PE. To check for it, the urgent care place did a special blood test in my wrist--it was deeper and much more painful than a standard blood draw. I forget why it had to be done that way, but it was definitely urgent care rather than the ER, and the test was considered definitive for PE.

Arterial stick rather than the vein: arteries are deeper, so owie. Edited by Sandwalker

As a former respiratory therapist I can say with near certainty that what you had was an ABG (arterial blood gas) draw. It is usually done in the wrist and is more painful than a regular venous draw. They were probably going to check to see if your blood had a lowered amount of oxygen in it. Patients with a PE typically have reduced levels of oxygen in their blood because the clot is preventing blood from getting to (at least) one lung.

After the ABG many patients also have a D-Dimer test, which looks for chemicals that are released in the blood as a clot breaks down. The D-Dimer is not itself 100% accurate in diagnosing a PE because it can't tell where the dissolving clot is, just that there is one. However, taken together with the patients ABG results, history, chest x-ray, and physical exam it can help determine whether a PE has occurred.

Also, I agree with other posters saying that what the OP describes does sound like a PE, especially if the EKG, etc. came back normal. If she didn't get an ABG and D-Dimer she should go back and insist on having them done.

That does sound familiar, and unless the standard of care has changed since then, I don't see why the OP would not have gotten this test, and I agree that she should insist on it.  It's important because PE's can be life-threatening.  

• Like 2

That does sound familiar, and unless the standard of care has changed since then, I don't see why the OP would not have gotten this test, and I agree that she should insist on it.  It's important because PE's can be life-threatening.  

And are often dismissed in women. One of the big tennis star sisters, not Serena but the other sister, was just treated for blood clots and only was treated because she knew the symptoms and insisted on care. The nurses totally blew her off. 

• Like 2

I was able to see a nurse practitioner friend of mine today and asked her to just go over what's been going on with me. i don't really want to explain everything but I'm leaning towards adrenal fatigue. It fits with the extreme amount of stress I've been under but is not anxiety which just didn't seem to fit for me. I've never struggled with anxiety although I have close family members who do so I know what that looks like.

To be clear again, the dr did not suggest anxiety. My husband did in private and we brought it up to them who said it could be that but that I still could stay to re check cardiac enzymes and be monitored overnight. We chose for me to go home because signs were all pointing to it not being a life threatening situation.

I don't think it's a PE at this point and my NP friend concurs because it has been going on at the exact same level for 6 days. No increase of pain and the pain has never been severe. We checked my O2 levels while walking around too even though they were fine yesterday as she has seen them tank when getting up/moving around due to PE even when they were fine when resting. Mine were fine.

Ok I blabber. But I am going to attempt to rest and heal and see if that makes an difference. I will also see my ob Monday.

• Like 8

Dear Busymama7,

I have been thinking about you.

I just want you to know that hormone therapy can lead to blood clotting issues/problems.

you mentioned the progesterone in an earlier thread and going off of it.

It is wise to be very aware of your body/any potential issues with hormone replacement therapy.

Any kind of hormone supplement can make the blood thicker. This was told to me by my primary care doctor who stated that she advises all of her patients on any kind of HRT to take a baby aspirin every day.

I just wanted to let you know this.

I am thinking of you and I hope you are feeling better. 

-Rebecca

• Like 1

Dear Busymama7,

I have been thinking about you.

I just want you to know that hormone therapy can lead to blood clotting issues/problems.

you mentioned the progesterone in an earlier thread and going off of it.

It is wise to be very aware of your body/any potential issues with hormone replacement therapy.

Any kind of hormone supplement can make the blood thicker. This was told to me by my primary care doctor who stated that she advises all of her patients on any kind of HRT to take a baby aspirin every day.

I just wanted to let you know this.

I am thinking of you and I hope you are feeling better.

-Rebecca

Thank you. I was aware of this but have been told it isn't true of the bioidenticals. I will check with my dr on Monday to be sure.

Atten: all lovely, concerned ladies on here who have been helping me. I have decided to sign out of all social media and forums for the time being. I am hoping it will help my stress levels to focus on real life more. I am primarily concerned about my phone (over)usage so I will try to get back on here on my computer on Monday and leave another update. I also would get any PMs via my email.

Thanks so much! I do like it here but this has been a long time coming and it really is just time.

• Like 5

Enjoy your break today, and take care. 

I will say, I've never heard of stress or adrenal fatigue causing acute shortness of breath. I'd ask the doctor about pluerisy, and also have them check your ferritin levels, not just hematocrit/hemoglobin. Low ferritin precedes anemia and can cause similar symptoms. 

Hugs. 

• Like 1

I am fine. Better actually. Slowly but surely I am feeling better. It appears that missing my thyroid medicine is what messed me up so greatly but as my levels come back up I am feeling better. I am continuing to stay off social media and forums in attempts to reduce the amount of stress I'm feeling not only from being unwell but from the massive amounts of stress our family is currently under. I wanted to pop in and let everyone know I was ok but I'm leaving again. I see a million threads I want to read but really I am doing better to live real life more closely. Thank you for all your help and for everything I've learned here. Maybe someday I will be back but not right now.

• Like 8