Menu

Fun supplementals for upper elementary math

Sarah0000

But that would appeal to lower elementary ages? Any math topic in the usually 4-6 grade range. I know of:

Hands on Equations

Critical Thinking Company math puzzles

Prime Climb

I'm sure I've heard of others but can't remember right now. Any particularly good living book series like the Sir Cumference books?

• Like 1

We like Number Devil, Math for Smarty Pants, Patty paper geometry, DragonBox Algebra 12+ and Geometry, Numberphile, and a variety of other things. We don't have curriculum for the following but we also do a lot of number theory, graph theory, and cryptography on the fly (e.g., my ds8 was thinking about triangular numbers recently, and started adding up other sequences, so we quick sketched a proof that the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2 during dinner, complete with accompanying picture on the fridge white board.)

• Like 2

We like Number Devil, Math for Smarty Pants, Patty paper geometry, DragonBox Algebra 12+ and Geometry, Numberphile, and a variety of other things. We don't have curriculum for the following but we also do a lot of number theory, graph theory, and cryptography on the fly (e.g., my ds8 was thinking about triangular numbers recently, and started adding up other sequences, so we quick sketched a proof that the sum of the first n odd numbers is n^2 during dinner, complete with accompanying picture on the fridge white board.)

What is numberphile?

Thanks.

DS liked Jacobs' Mathematics A Human Endeavor. He is reading it like a chapter book, on the last chapter in fact :)

Also The cryptoclub, books of Perelman and Theoni Pappas, Mental maths of Arthur Benjamin, Original Area Mazes, Janice VanCleave's Math for every kid, Janice VanCleave's Geometry for every kid, Impossible folding Puzzles, Origami and chess books, art books of optical illusion, etc

Edited by rushhush08
  • Like 1

What is numberphile?

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoxcjq-8xIDTYp3uz647V5A

Just a youtube channel with short, fun math topics. Probably geared towards older kids, but has been great for my ALs. Some go over their heads without extra explanation from me, and some are not super exciting for them, but most of them are interesting and accessible.

• Like 2

Our current lineup of extras includes Murderous Maths, Math for Smarty Pants, I Hate Mathematics, Amazing Math Projects That You Can Build Yourself, Hands On Equations, old Math Kangaroo tests, and Secrets of Mental Math.

Jackie,

Is Amazing Math Projects That You Can Build Yourself a book? youtube?

Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoxcjq-8xIDTYp3uz647V5A

Just a youtube channel with short, fun math topics. Probably geared towards older kids, but has been great for my ALs. Some go over their heads without extra explanation from me, and some are not super exciting for them, but most of them are interesting and accessible.

Thanks.

You teach number theory and graph theory from a book?  or just from experience?  It doesn't have to be open and go for me.

Thanks.

You teach number theory and graph theory from a book?  or just from experience?  It doesn't have to be open and go for me.

Mostly from experience. My PhD dealt with an area of math that used a lot of graph theory, combinatorics, and number theory, and I've taught numerous classes in those field at both the undergraduate and graduate level. I like that stuff. :) But I also haven't given my kids a thorough course in it yet, since the eldest is just 8. We just do things on the fly as they come in life or as they come across someone's imagination! :)

• Like 1