Menu

The absolute best homeschool curriculum

Ann.without.an.e

Wisdom.

I needed to hear this today as I looking longingly and the pretty Memoria Press items that I don't need but want to flip through and hold. I just love curriculum so much! You are so so right. Thank you for sharing you experience on the other side :)

Memoria Press is so pretty, isn't it?  I love curriculum.  Just like you, I like to peruse through it, think about how I could implement it, etc, etc.  It is so tempting to try it all.  To be honest, I want to find enough hours in my day to actually use it all  :lol: I don't even look at HS catalogs anymore because the temptation is crazy.  

• Like 2

Yup, with my first time through, I worked my butt off being so custom. Now I find good enough and move on. We still have tons of fun.

You have a gap between kids, like I do!  My youngest, almost 9 year old, hasn't had to experiment with so many curriculums.  I have managed to stay on track with him with what worked best with oldest dc.  I am sure there are some super cool stuff out there now, but I try not to even look  :laugh:

Thank you for the morning laugh. Guilty as charged.

I am pretty sure we are ALL guilty of either wanting to switch curriculum, switch schooling plans, or even (on the worst days) switch kids altogether this time of year.   :laugh:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

And, just because you hit a wall in a curriculum, doesn't mean you need to ditch it.  Just take a break.  Do something else for a week or two, while you figure out how to make the old program work for you.  This often solves the problem.  

:iagree:

• Like 2

...is the one that you do. I was talking to dd (in college now) about the younger years of homeschooling and how we tweaked things along the way ..... a lot.  I would get on a good path with something that worked but then something pretty, glittery, and incredibly difficult to execute (for me) would come along and distract me.  I would buy it, spend way too much time planning it, just to drop it mid-way. In the end, what worked for us was pretty boring really.  The fancy stuff was a fun thought, but with 3 or 4 kiddos, some health issues, and a ton of distractions along the way, I never could quite execute it and I would quit.

As you plan for the upcoming years, don't be too tempted to fence hop if what you have is working.  Take a long, hard look at what you are doing right now and ask yourself - are we able to do this on a daily basis while keeping sanity (at least half the time)?  What will switching provide?  There is no magic fairy dust included in any curriculum.  The magic is in the elbow grease and faithfulness of the day in, day out (often boring) work that it takes to do any curriculum.    

Oh and rarely should one ever consider a major change or decision centered around homeschooling in the months of February or March  :lol:  

Just my evening ramblings  :grouphug:

Amen and Amen! 

• Like 1

VERY true!! ;)

This is our 13th year homeschooling, and we'll be graduating our oldest of five kids this spring. I feel like I've tried it all. This past fall, I felt like I'd finally landed on our *perfect fit* of what was the best for us. Know what?? It was all great, except it exhausted us to do every day. With two kids having surgery on top of all the hubbub of the holiday season, I waived my little white flag, and streamlined to a curriculum that I'd never have guessed I'd ever use. The best part of it all was that they absolutely loved it, and are learning more than ever before.; ) It's sparked a huge love of learning, and brought more peaceful school days. So yes, I'm shaking my head in agreement with your post.....THANK YOU!! :D

• Like 2

Agree with everything and laughing because in my 15th year of homeschooling and on my 4th child I finally figured out that the curriculum that gets done is...Memoria Press ;)

Oh, that's beautiful!  I've actually never tried Memoria Press (I've tried almost everything else at some point).  I think by the time Memoria got super cool I was already beyond switching around.  I am now feeling tempted to look at their website.   :lol:

VERY true!! ;)

This is our 13th year homeschooling, and we'll be graduating our oldest of five kids this spring. I feel like I've tried it all. This past fall, I felt like I'd finally landed on our *perfect fit* of what was the best for us. Know what?? It was all great, except it exhausted us to do every day. With two kids having surgery on top of all the hubbub of the holiday season, I waived my little white flag, and streamlined to a curriculum that I'd never have guessed I'd ever use. The best part of it all was that they absolutely loved it, and are learning more than ever before.; ) It's sparked a huge love of learning, and brought more peaceful school days. So yes, I'm shaking my head in agreement with your post.....THANK YOU!! :D

Yes, what we ended up landing on was what I never, ever expected either.  I was actually the mom who would roll my eyes at the thought of it before.  But it worked and it got done.  The fancy stuff got planned but never truly completed.  Glad you found something that makes you feel peace.

• Like 1

Thank you, I needed this right now. I know it in theory but it's easy to forget. Especially in January and February! We have always floundered through LA but DD is doing good this year with EIW. Yet I have been researching writing curriculums like mad for the last week planning for next year. Maybe I shouldn't look for shiny and "better" and should keep going with the program we are consistently DOING. 

• Like 1

I would buy it, spend way too much time planning it, just to drop it mid-way.

Oh, man.  Guilty of this.  I do so love to plan... :p

I was cleaning off some shelves the other day, and I pulled so much stuff where I thought, "Did we even use this? I forgot I had it!" (Only to find the girls outgrew it years ago...)   :001_rolleyes:

(Now, we are very much "get 'er done/do-the-next-thing" people.  Workbook/textbook heavy and not ashamed of it b/c it's GETTING DONE.) :001_cool:

• Like 3

So true. I wrote a blog post about this a while back. I got so sick of new homeschoolers asking me what curriculum was the best. Or even them bragging to me that the curriculum they chose is “the best.†Ugh. The best curriculum is the one that gets done day in and day out - your kids are learning and you see progress. That’s the best.

I’m so glad I figured that out and learned to be content with curriculum that gets done.

• Like 4

Memoria Press is so pretty, isn't it? I love curriculum. Just like you, I like to peruse through it, think about how I could implement it, etc, etc. It is so tempting to try it all. To be honest, I want to find enough hours in my day to actually use it all :lol: I don't even look at HS catalogs anymore because the temptation is crazy.

I am so glad someone else gets it :) I have way more curriculum than I could ever use but comfort myself with the knowledge that if x curriculum does this lesson better than y curriculum then I will just grab it off the shelf haha. Plus I love to play curriculum Santa. I meet homeschool moms all of the time that need something or want a change and then I just gift it to them. It is kind of fun :)

• Like 2

This post is excellent.

I am glad my DC never found out all the times I switched curricula in my head but never actually implemented.

The olders gently remind me not to switch with the younger as much as I did so that means I did switch too much, but I stopped myself a few times.

Curriculum Santa. Lol. I do that too.

• Like 2

VERY true!! ;)

So.....what was it?  :blush:  (The curriculum you never guessed you'd use?)

• Like 4

Yes, what we ended up landing on was what I never, ever expected either.  I was actually the mom who would roll my eyes at the thought of it before.  But it worked and it got done.  The fancy stuff got planned but never truly completed.  Glad you found something that makes you feel peace.

Care to share what you landed on?  

Seriously, LOL, it's very intriguing to read about successes like these and to wonder which curriculum you could be speaking of!  (Despite the original post!   :laugh: )  

It's not that I intend on switching anything out...because I know the key is sticking with what's working and finishing it (OP)...

...but with such glowing reports, it's too tempting: what did you roll your eyes at and then switch to?  Do tell!

• Like 1

Care to share what you landed on?  

Seriously, LOL, it's very intriguing to read about successes like these and to wonder which curriculum you could be speaking of!  (Despite the original post!   :laugh: )  

It's not that I intend on switching anything out...because I know the key is sticking with what's working and finishing it (OP)...

...but with such glowing reports, it's too tempting: what did you roll your eyes at and then switch to?  Do tell!

It is the one that I do  ;)  It might be different for someone else.  The curriculum isn't magic.  

I ended up finding that even though I loved all of these really cool, super complex history based curriculums that were centered around literature (Sonlight, MFW, etc, etc), I just didn't have the energy and time to keep up with that much and I would tend to fall behind and not complete it.  The answer for me hasn't been one particular curriculum.  Veritas self-paced has been an answer to prayers.  We also read the readers along with it.  We have used Saxon for math.  For many other things (English, Science, Spelling) I ended up loving the thing that I would roll my eyes at in the beginning of my homeschool years - BJU.  I am not sure if this attitude exists so much now but when my oldest was little there was a real stinky attitude toward workbook or textbook type curriculum.  There was almost a homeschooling self-righteousness around using other things.  I admit, I avoided it for that reason.  Then, it turned out to be the best thing for us ever.  

ETA - we also use WWE and WWS for additional writing work (because of this I skip some of the writing units in BJU english).

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 6

So.....what was it? :blush: (The curriculum you never guessed you'd use?)

I really, really hesitate to even say, as I've seen this program get slammed time after time.....not rigorous, bad reputation amongst those who abused the system using it, the list goes on and on.... But, desperate times cause you to look beyond everything you've tried in the past, and venture into new territory. I started out researching for just science, but then expanded that to english and spelling/vocab. I'm not a science person, so something streamlined was definitely in order to help my kids get some science learning that *can* get done. We started using ACE.....now I'm ducking for cover from the flying tomatoes!! ;) I never ever thought I'd use it, let alone like it after all the bad stuff I'd heard, but know what? It's actually really good, and is working great for my kids. A big key is grading it myself and discussing the lessons they're learning. That really cements the information for them. We were always quite Charlotte Mason/lit-based before, and I think that's helped my kids to enjoy this more, as it's more about the reading and the topics for them. They see the filling in of the blanks/activities as a review of info. In the science paces, there's an experiment and/or project in each one, so there's still hands on elements. But, *I* don't have to be the center of the teaching/learning. Using these paces, it's sparked a love of science in our kids and they're doing a lot of research and learning *outside* of school time because it's fun to learn about! Thank you ACE! :) We had been trying to use All About Spelling for a while now, but it depended on me teaching each kid seperately, making our day take forever. The Word Building paces have been perfect for teaching those lovely spelling rules, as well as introducing my kids to new words and meanings. I ended up really, really liking their english paces too as they are quite mastery based which seems to really click with my kids. They learn a new concept and get lots of practice identifying and using that concept, helping them to really understand it better *and* retain it. (We also found MUS to be totally awesome for them in the same ways this year.) So yeah, ACE is definitely NOT popular here at all, but for a couple subjects it's working great for my kids. So much so, that I'm sticking with it for those subjects next year, too. We are still keeping our beloved lit-based history and reading. School is getting done in less time, *with* happy kids and happy mama. I know it's not everyone's cuppa, but what sparks learning and brings success will be different for everyone. Do what brings you joy, and what helps them learn...that's the point! ;)

• Like 12

We had the same experience as Momtofive and Attolia. My middle two thrived on ABeka science in elementary and started talking about science for the first time. Using it lowered my load and stress level and allowed me to focus more attention on my littlest. It was a win all around. And cured me of my curriculum snobbery.

Along with beginning to use and love Saxon for middle school on up...

• Like 6

But, *I* don't have to be the center of the teaching/learning.

I think this might be my problem...5 years into homeschooling and every "amazing" thing my idealist self picks includes a huge dose of energy from me.  The sum = burnout, over and over again.  

As my DC get older, my eventual goal is for them to be more self-starting in their educational pursuits.  Trying to give them tools and skills so they can pursue interesting learning on their own.  I'm trying to work more independence in there when possible and to just accept that sometimes, good enough is good enough.  

Don't worry, I won't go tracking down curriculum listed here, but it does give one food for thought.   :001_smile:

You're brave for sharing something you perceive as not being popular 'round these here parts; thanks!

• Like 2

It is the one that I do  ;)  It might be different for someone else.  The curriculum isn't magic.  

I ended up finding that even though I loved all of these really cool, super complex history based curriculums that were centered around literature (Sonlight, MFW, etc, etc), I just didn't have the energy and time to keep up with that much and I would tend to fall behind and not complete it.  The answer for me hasn't been one particular curriculum.  Veritas self-paced has been an answer to prayers.  We also read the readers along with it.  For many other things (English, Science, Spelling) I ended up loving the thing that I would roll my eyes at in the beginning of my homeschool years - BJU.  I am not sure if this attitude exists so much now but when my oldest was little there was a real stinky attitude toward workbook or textbook type curriculum.  There was almost a homeschooling self-righteousness around using other things.  I admit, I avoided it for that reason.  Then, it turned out to be the best thing for us ever.  

We had the same experience as Momtofive and Attolia. My middle two thrived on ABeka science in elementary and started talking about science for the first time. Using it lowered my load and stress level and allowed me to focus more attention on my littlest. It was a win all around. And cured me of my curriculum snobbery.

Along with beginning to use and love Saxon for middle school on up...

Very helpful to hear people say this.  Lots of things look so glossy and amazing or so rich or rigorous (enter more adjectives here, depending on my given desire or fear in that moment), whether they're seen on a blog or in a catalog, or wherever...  Things can tug at the heartstrings and make me question everything I'm doing.  I don't necessarily "jump", but it does nag me and make me wonder if I really have "the best" curriculum.  If things could be better...

Couple that with quite a bit of snobbery regarding "old school" curriculum...

But then, I keep things like this in mind, which really piqued my interest when I heard them: 

- The family I know whose 4 adult children are in some form of med school...used Abeka with all of them, all the way through. 

- The family I know who has many children (including "launched", successful adult children) and still used/uses/loves Saxon for each one.  

Some of these "passe" curricula really aren't passe.  It probably all depends on how they're used...

...and if they're finished!   :laugh:

• Like 6

I love this thread. While I do enjoy all the wonderful ideas and opinions on this forum about different curricula, sometimes I come away feeling like I do not measure up to most other homeschoolers, and if im not using the newest, shiniest, most teacher-intensive curriculum, them I've cheated my children out of a good education. I'm glad to know that other kids have survived and even thrived on the curriculum that a lot of people here on this forum might disdain.

• Like 6

Very helpful to hear people say this.  Lots of things look so glossy and amazing or so rich or rigorous (enter more adjectives here, depending on my given desire or fear in that moment), whether they're seen on a blog or in a catalog, or wherever...  Things can tug at the heartstrings and make me question everything I'm doing.  I don't necessarily "jump", but it does nag me and make me wonder if I really have "the best" curriculum.  If things could be better...

Couple that with quite a bit of snobbery regarding "old school" curriculum...

But then, I keep things like this in mind, which really piqued my interest when I heard them: 

- The family I know whose 4 adult children are in some form of med school...used Abeka with all of them, all the way through. 

- The family I know who has many children (including "launched", successful adult children) and still used/uses/loves Saxon for each one.  

Some of these "passe" curricula really aren't passe.  It probably all depends on how they're used...

...and if they're finished!   :laugh:

Saxon - yes!  We use Saxon math.  I think I forgot to list that.  My dd took a math class last summer before freshman year with other kids from her scholarship group.  These are the kids on a full ride scholarship at Duke.  DD was told multiple times by her peers (as she was helping others through it) that she should really consider a math or engineering major.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3

I think this might be my problem...5 years into homeschooling and every "amazing" thing my idealist self picks includes a huge dose of energy from me.  The sum = burnout, over and over again.  

As my DC get older, my eventual goal is for them to be more self-starting in their educational pursuits.  Trying to give them tools and skills so they can pursue interesting learning on their own.  I'm trying to work more independence in there when possible and to just accept that sometimes, good enough is good enough.  

Don't worry, I won't go tracking down curriculum listed here, but it does give one food for thought.   :001_smile:

You're brave for sharing something you perceive as not being popular 'round these here parts; thanks!

Homeschooling, being a mom, a wife, a person :lol:, etc is a massive job already.  We don't really need anything that adds to that load.  

Because my kids are used to learning (fairly) independently through a text, high school and college courses that are based on texts have not been an issue for them.  I have a friend who never used a text in their homeschool and her kids struggled when she put them in high school.  Not all kids will have such a difficult transition but for hers it was tough. 

Great thread!!! 

We are only a couple of years from the finish line of our homeschooling journey, and I heartily agree with what has been posted.  I can remember the 'All About Spelling' craze and the Shurley Grammar craze as a couple of examples of what was considered to be 'the best'.  Probably something like Lukeion for Latin is another one that has been a more present day temptation :).  What I finally realized is that no one really has time in their day to do all the 'best' curricula as these are usually the ones that are the 'most intense'.  Maybe pick one of them if that was going to be your signature focus of study for the year to boost up either low scores or natural areas of strength.

When our dc were younger, we picked a literature-based history curriculum because of that desire to center the bulk of our school day around a particular historical theme and then watch videos, read books, do field trips all related to a specific time period in history.  It was fun.  But we sacrificed other things that we could have been doing in order to actually GET DONE that history curriculum.  Adding 'All About Spelling' and Shurley Grammar and heavy doses of Latin into that mix would have been overwhelming.  But not to say I didn't think about it, lol!

• Like 5

I totally agree with this!!!  We started in K and are in the middle of 7th grade.  I am also streamlining my plans and weeding out multiple curriculum for the same subject.  I'm going to be selling a lot of stuff -- LOL!!!  

I really need to sell so much stuff.   :laugh:

But not to say I didn't think about it, lol!

I think we ALL have thought about it  :lol:   For real, a literature based history curriculum is great and not a problem if you have everything else pretty streamlined (you can't go crazy complicated on every single subject), you have one child to teach, or you are a miracle worker with boundless energy and very little responsibility outside of homeschooling.  

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 6

Great thread!!!

We are only a couple of years from the finish line of our homeschooling journey, and I heartily agree with what has been posted. I can remember the 'All About Spelling' craze and the Shurley Grammar craze as a couple of examples of what was considered to be 'the best'. Probably something like Lukeion for Latin is another one that has been a more present day temptation :). What I finally realized is that no one really has time in their day to do all the 'best' curricula as these are usually the ones that are the 'most intense'. Maybe pick one of them if that was going to be your signature focus of study for the year to boost up either low scores or natural areas of strength.

When our dc were younger, we picked a literature-based history curriculum because of that desire to center the bulk of our school day around a particular historical theme and then watch videos, read books, do field trips all related to a specific time period in history. It was fun. But we sacrificed other things that we could have been doing in order to actually GET DONE that history curriculum. Adding 'All About Spelling' and Shurley Grammar and heavy doses of Latin into that mix would have been overwhelming. But not to say I didn't think about it, lol!

My bold, yes! I realised that I could easily schedule 6+ hours of 'the best' stuff, and my kids would never have time to play or rest or be kids...

Balance is the best.

• Like 3

My bold, yes! I realised that I could easily schedule 6+ hours of 'the best' stuff, and my kids would never have time to play or rest or be kids...

Balance is the best.

Oh my goodness, my kids learned so much through play.  Especially in the younger years.  My kids were/are also super big readers because we severely limit tv and don't allow computer or video games except for a tiny window on the weekends.  So, I would have had to say "put down that book that is way higher in reading level than most kids your age can comprehend and come and do more seat work".   :mellow:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 2

I felt the need to come back and explain what sparked this post for me.  I am glad that some of ya'll gleaned from it.  But, you see, it was actually a post to myself  :lol:   After so many years of homeschooling and no longer hopping around so much, I now only have one kiddo that needs a lot of mama time and I found myself eyeing MCT English.  I even bought Grammar Island on iBooks and DS has been reading it and he LOVES it.  I was feeling tempted to jump fence and move to all MCT for grammar/english with him, for the exception of adding in WWE because we love that and can't let it go.  See, even when you know that you need to stick with what works you can feel incredibly tempted, particularly in February and March.  This time of the year, you just question everything.  It is like a curse  :laugh:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

Oh and rarely should one ever consider a major change or decision centered around homeschooling in the months of February or March  :lol:  

Just my evening ramblings  :grouphug:

Haha! I especially love this...so true! 

Totally agree. And I would add that something with a predictable assignment (like Explode the Code) can be a good way to help the kid start/build independence. Something transportable (like workbooks) can be equally practical if you have errands or appointments. All kinds of things shape the way we homeschool and the choices that will help succeed. The REAL challenge (I think) is if you have very different styles of learners and are trying to flex for all of them. Oy vey!

• Like 2

What I finally realized is that no one really has time in their day to do all the 'best' curricula as these are usually the ones that are the 'most intense'.  Maybe pick one of them if that was going to be your signature focus of study for the year to boost up either low scores or natural areas of strength.

When our dc were younger, we picked a literature-based history curriculum because of that desire to center the bulk of our school day around a particular historical theme and then watch videos, read books, do field trips all related to a specific time period in history.  It was fun.  But we sacrificed other things that we could have been doing in order to actually GET DONE that history curriculum.  Adding 'All About Spelling' and Shurley Grammar and heavy doses of Latin into that mix would have been overwhelming.  But not to say I didn't think about it, lol!

Bingo!  Finally figured out why I'm always overwhelmed!  I think I've been trying to do what I perceive as "the best" in all areas.  It's just not possible.  Both in terms of my energy level--what I bring to the table teaching-wise--and in terms of getting school done in a reasonable amount of time each day. 

Started homeschool out not living a very balanced life and putting a lot of pressure on DD1--trying to find our sweet spot...  The last year or so we've found balance and now I stress that it's not all being covered to the "utmost degree".  I don't transfer that stress to DC anymore, but I do stress internally, quietly about it, LOL.    

So a new strategy could be: Focus on 1-2 areas of study (actually, probably the 3R's for us because I think they're the most valuable at our stage) that I bring all of my focus to, pick the "best" curricula for, etc....and let some of the lesser subjects be "just OK" or "sufficient" this year.  

• 10 months later...

I have to say one of the benefits of living on a lower than average wage is that even if my mind thought about switching curriculum....my wallet won't allow it😂😎.  Seriously though I still have wasted more money than I would like to admit😉 because I loved the lower levels of a curriculum for primary levels, but in the intermediate level I added more kiddos and couldn't do both levels well....and found when it comes to history and science in the intermediate levels to let them study more independently vs. doing a unit study.

The way I limit curriculum hopping in our home now is I ask myself a few questions that I know are true for our family.

1. I believe in direct instruction/read alouds as the focus of the primary years with an occasional unit for fun, but in the intermediate level I cannot do a beautiful laid out unit study for the family as I only have so much time and I need to let them do what they can do for themselves...for themselves.  So if it is beautiful and full of many moving pieces...no matter how much I love it...it won't work for me.  

2. Does it cost more than I can afford to keep doing year after year?

3. Will the time requirement be a better use of my children's school hours or is this just a distraction from something simpler that works great for my kiddos-such as reading for our humanity subjects.

4. Does it have a place in our daily schedule without interrupting the peaceful transitions that we have built now?  I would love to do latin, but I feel Rod and Staff English and writing to be the focus for our family, but we do have the kids simply study the root cards of English From the Roots Up.  If they want to add it during their quiet period then I would, but so far my kids have chosen to more informally study spanish...if it were French I could actually help😉

5. If it is an enrichment, can it be done as a 6-8 week course as longer ones probably won't get done as I like to do them in the summer when I lighten my load from direct teaching primary😉.

6. I have personally found that making simple Bible and group readalouds-in which I do a rotation of topics is a way to make sure that many of the little things that I want to do with my kids gets done.  I usually do the preschoolers before that while kiddos clean their rooms and eat breakfast...so I get one kiddo down.  Then I do my one on one teaching with each kiddo beginning with those learning to read...while the other do reading😉.  Then I rotate English one day and Math the other with each of the kids and assign 2 days worth of work in whichever one I taught.  Then is lunch...often all of my littles are totally done, but my olders often do independent work afterwards for an hour or so, but I am done until I teach my very oldest separately after all of the kids go to bed for a solid hour....it is more peaceful this way....and allows my afternoons to be focused on being a mother😙.  I could obviously add more units in the afternoon, but then I wouldn't have my very needed quiettime nor have playtime with my littles which is very important to me....I had children to love on them and play with them and I found I was pushing them aside to teach subjects to my olders that they preferred studying alone as they could remember more reading vs. listening..kwim...and now I am enjoying them again.  

With my oldest I wish after MFW ETC that we had just went traditional without so many put stops as he would have been better off longterm.

P.S. Beautiful Feet primary geography is calling me terribly...tell me I need to finish the free rotation my olders did that is in my bookshelf😂. If I get other stuff done...I may add it to my primary rotation😁.  I just want to hug it and go where were you 7 years ago😁.

Brenda

Edited to add that I do my primary readaloud rotation for the last 45 minutes before lunch😄 (my oldest daughter always makes lunch-she helps me so much-oldest son always does lunch diahes-they spoil me🤗)...I love MFW Adventures and have many science, health, and CHOW as the focused rotation right now...but geography is my missing spot for them....making more excuses to buy curriculum..hehehe.

Edited by homemommy83

The best curriculum is one that is relaxed, and free of high pressure. It is an environment that is enjoyable, and motivating. One way of keeping it stress free is to not schedule more than is easy to do in a day. Plan on the basics like Bible, Phonics, Spelling, and Math, then there is plenty of time to go at your own pace on the other subjects, and if not the child has still learned the basics.

• Like 1