Menu

Grammar for WTM Lesson 64--diagramming help needed

Okay so two questions about the key.

I am inexperienced with this level of diagramming. These might be stupid questions. 

For this sentence:

With terror growing greater in his heart, he saw the flame of fire consuming the town and the castle.

The key says that "consuming the town and the castle" modifies "fire" but in the actual diagram, it is diagrammed below flame, not off the word fire. Is this right?

For this sentence:

Thus Queen Helen found him, and finding him made no outcry of any kind.

The key says that "finding him" modifies Queen Helen, but it is diagrammed below "made." I am confused by this. Why is it not diagrammed under what it modifies? Also, how is it that "finding him" modifies Queen Helen?

TIA for your help hive grammarians. I am lost. 

I think in the first sentence the diagram was correct, it modifies flame. Fire is part of a prepositional phrase which also modifies flame.

The second - well it is a crappy sentence imo. ;). Should be something like, “Thus finding him, Queen Helen made no outcry of any kind.†As there is no subject in the second half of the sentence, the comma is incorrectly placed within a compound predicate. But I readily admit I could be wrong.

ETA: Thus Queen Helen found him and, finding him, made no outcry of any kind.

Set the participial phrase apart. Which just shows how redundant the sentence is and makes me dislike it even more.

Edited by ikslo
  • Like 2

I think ikslo is right about both sentences.

In the first, the participial phrase modifies flame and is correctly diagrammed. The key is wrong.

The second sentence needs the extra comma to improve it, but is still bad. I think "finding him" is a adjectival participial phrase modifying "Queen Helen" and should be diagrammed so. 

Maybe you should contact WTM Press to clarify. They may need to publish and errata page.  :huh:

• Like 2

Maybe you should contact WTM Press to clarify. They may need to publish and errata page.  :huh:

I just did this. =) There is definitely something amiss between the sentence labeling and the diagramming.  Both are in the key, so they will need to fix that.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

I'm not sure about this, but it seems to me that "finding him" in the second sentence does modify "made no outcry" -- or at least it can be read that way -- Queen Helen made no outcry.  When did she make no outcry?  under what circumstances?  when she found him.  An adverbial sort of thing. 

Could be wrong though, am no grammar expert.

It's a clunky sentence for sure.  On the bright side I suppose it is good reading practice for convoluted English!

• Like 1

There are a number of errors in this first printing that don't appear on their errata page, which they haven't updated for a long time.  I've sent them several things beyond the last error shown, but nothing has been added to the list.  I like the program overall, but this is a good reminder to self not to purchase the very first printing of a new curriculum that requires such a detailed key.  

• Like 2

There are a number of errors in this first printing that don't appear on their errata page, which they haven't updated for a long time.  I've sent them several things beyond the last error shown, but nothing has been added to the list.  I like the program overall, but this is a good reminder to self not to purchase the very first printing of a new curriculum that requires such a detailed key.  

I have had the same experience, but overall I do like the program. Sometimes I think those of us who have sent in lots of errata should get our product for a reduced cost. =)

• 4 weeks later...

There are a number of errors in this first printing that don't appear on their errata page, which they haven't updated for a long time. I've sent them several things beyond the last error shown, but nothing has been added to the list. I like the program overall, but this is a good reminder to self not to purchase the very first printing of a new curriculum that requires such a detailed key.

Any chance you could post them here so those of us who haven't started yet don't have to find them ourselves?

I can tell you the issue I asked about in the OP was a typo and will be on the errata on the website. I have also found typos, but I haven't reported them all. Maybe klmama has them somewhere listed?

Thank you! I saw this issue listed on the errata and made note of it in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

We've done it.

Yay! So I have question about the key for exercise 80A. (We haven't gotten to the rest of the exercises in this section yet, FYI.)

The first question is regarding  noun clause that is circled--"that the thing which he had done, whatever it was, was done for the sake of clothing and nourishing seven little children."

The key indicates that this: "that the thing which he had done" is an adjective clause that modifies a word within the phrase itself, namely, the word "thing"  I don't understand this.  Is this correct?  Or should it be two separate phrases 'that the thing" and "which he had done"?  That makes a lot more sense to me. 

Also in the section starting with "have been better,"  this adverb clause:  "have been better to wait until he could get it through compassion or through work."  I have the same question. They have "through compassion" as modifying "until" but that is within the larger adverb clause. I don't understand how the clause could modify a word within itself.  Shouldn't this modify the word "wait"?  

TIA!!

Edited for typo

Edited by cintinative