Menu

AMC question

MamaSprout

For the first time, we have a math competition within driving distance that allows homeschoolers. It's AMC 10. My dd is a youngish 7th grader by age, but they told me to sign her up as an 8th grader. Since it only goes until 10th grade, would she age out as a 9th grader if we do it this year?

I did also find a 7th/8th competition that isn't affiliated with a national organization that's about 90 minutes away, but they prefer teams.

Other than dabbling with AoPS, she's not done any competition math in a couple of years. Am I crazy?

For the first time, we have a math competition within driving distance that allows homeschoolers. It's AMC 10. My dd is a youngish 7th grader by age, but they told me to sign her up as an 8th grader. Since it only goes until 10th grade, would she age out as a 9th grader if we do it this year?

If I didn’t remember wrong, the AMC10 and AMC12 only has a <=8th grade, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade on the scantron form. AMC12 and AMC10 uses the same form.

So your 7th grade daughter would be coloring the <= 8th grade box for this year and next year, same as my DS12. When she is in 9th grade, she would color the 9th grade box.

My kids started the AMC10 when they were in 5th & 6th grade. This would be the 3rd time for them. Have fun.

ETA:

There were younger kids qualifying for AIME based on their AMC10 scores locally. Don’t underestimate your daughter’s ability.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Me: do you want to do a math competition?

Dd: what's that like? When is it?

Me: Next week.

Dd: isn't that short notice?

Me: we'll stop at Chipolte on the way.

Dd: I'm in.

Really, everything at our house goes back to, "will there be food?"

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 5

My middle son did the AMC10 as a 6th grader bc that's all our local homeschool group was offereing due to lack of interest in teh AMC8. He did well. Actually had the 2nd highest score in our group and was in the 50th percentil for test takers across the country. We tried one first to be sure it wouldn't be a total bust and stressful as a result. As soon as he got 10 right on the practice I said OK you're going. She will not age out as long as you use her real grade. I don't know why they would tell you to put her as an 8th grader. I know of no such rule. Pretty sure my same son took the AMC10 at public school, 4 years after his 1st attempt. He took the AMC8 2 years after 1st taking the AMC10. Nobody cares :) 

• Like 2